• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Sandwich of the Month

LOL! The remoulade has everythang but the kitchen sink in it!

I planned on making my own Creole Mustard....but that needs to sit for 3-4 weeks! Who knew!!!!

So, it has green onions, celery and garlic...minced.
A bit of ketchup, stone ground mustard, horseradish, and mayo.
A few splashes apple cider vinegar, SL's worcestershire, and Crystal.
Then I saw the capers, so rinsed and chopped a Tbsp or so of those.
A good dose of paprika, and my own cajun seasoning, and a few shakes of red savina.
Pinch of thyme, tarragon and a couple pinches of chopped parsley.
Then I motor-boated it whilst streaming in some olive oil.

Wish I'd have made it a few days earlier, as it keeps getting better and better!

Nice!

So that's how you blacken ...

I'm so full ... I just pounded a somewhat Pacific-inspired Po Boy a moment ago ...

Here's how it began ...

I've never eaten a Po Boy ...

I wanted to make either a roast beef one, or some kind of variant ... mostly only because I didn't want to fry fish again (the smell was finally almost gone) ...

Stay tuned to see how that works out for me ...

I thought about inverting things, using fried green tomatoes and adding cold shrimp to the remoulade ... it sounded good to me ...

I assembled troops that gave me options, I like game-time decisions ... no time to obsess ... once you start cooking shit, there's freedom in constraint and all ...

677E5AB9-4419-4432-BD97-E4DB04D36F8C-2700-0000115B1EC7756E.jpg

I chopped up some spicy kimchy, large salad cubes (sweet relish), 3x cooked shrimp, 3x bod'e pods, some small green heirloom maters, and a little purple onion ...

88C31427-CD8F-4804-8D3E-2AE3803D3DA3-2700-0000115B01ACA5DB.jpg

and mixed it w/ more lemon juice and some remoulade ...

6D8FFF1D-9F3C-483A-A181-B0DFB9310A22-2700-0000115AEB33A172.jpg

I dressed some arugula w/ juice of half a lemon ...

9274E12D-4003-4313-9D67-7B6CA919185B-2700-0000115AFB561DF4.jpg

had a shot of hornitos w/ D ...

DD450AF4-B592-4323-84CC-A95A35D10ACE-2700-0000115B1075E59E.jpg

and bottom dressed a section of french baguette ...

DD7D34E4-82E2-41BF-92AA-DDF445130EB8-2700-0000115ADCAEE79B.jpg

and then some ...

042A2139-3476-4FE2-BCFA-494093090C24-2700-0000115AD61E3DD0.jpg

CJ!!! That is awesome! I love it. Blackened catfish is one of my favs. So glad you made that. Well done. Grant, that is nice too, but a little foo foo for a po-boy.

HH w/ the inadvertent bump ... cheers!

Go, go gadget ...

CF04828E-D516-43DC-A3A9-B2282AD9AD51-2700-0000115B176636C1.jpg

WTF?!??!?!

a can of the best albacore in a can ... it's a *PO* boy, right?!?!

I added some panko, some hot bod'e, an egg, some lemon zest, some freshly ground mixed peppercorn, some purple onion, some spicy mustard, some salt, and some blackened redfish magic ...

4F5F2683-71A6-4A73-80CA-C59818B0E841-2700-0000115B08763E4E.jpg

and mixed it up w/ a fork ...

32D65905-5EFB-4B0C-8B74-7DD8763ECD11-2700-0000115AF31ECB73.jpg

I'm ballin' out of control ...

CA4A1056-F78E-4C7C-8E7F-7D5F7A86A293-2700-0000115AE3DF3DC8.jpg

both sides ...

7E579D12-C1B9-4D2B-B25B-8DF17059CABF-2700-0000115AC97822D5.jpg

assembled ...

143BC51D-B858-4F50-B867-26B697E2326D-2700-0000115AC1F6B5EF.jpg

in process ...

E76D3BA9-B4E3-4261-B448-C9EEA8CF806F-2700-0000115ABA0614ED.jpg

I'll definitely make this again, it was KILLER!

WOW! Like I said very much foo for a Po-boy, but holy hell! I'd smash that into my piehole any day!

The only ingredient that I wouldn't go out of my way to include on a follow up would be the kimchy ... but, it fit the Pacific theme and I had it in the fridge ... it worked out nicely.

Fried tuna balls are worth repeat, and I'm totally surprised by that ...

Thanks fellas! :D

GM - extra points from me for ova-da-top creativity!!!!!!! Nice work there!!!!!! :)

Thanks. I've never had catfish believe it or not ... I've been barb'd by a zillion though ...

What the hell is that green crap!??? JK GM, I'm with JayT, I'd get down on that shizztle. :)

arugula ... not intrinsic, but my pref ...

GM, I ain't got no problema with the foo foo on that sammich.

The combo concept of shrimp and tuna on the other hand is playin' games with my mind though.

What should warrant outrage is the fact that you chilled that bottle of tequila in the freezer!

If I knew which authorities have jurisdiction over that blatant sin I'd be droppin' dime on you!

But who do I call?

Child Protective Services?

ACLU?

60 Minutes?

Alcoholics Unanimous?

I just emailed Danielle to pull the Hornitos from the freezer ... it didn't taste good either time I've had it and I used to <3 it ... maybe that's why ...

"This is gross ..." is all I was thinking, start to finish (I don't eat much fish, or even like tuna all that much) ...

The parts were iffy all throughout ... the pumped up remoulade itself was iffy ... the pre-cooked mixture for the balls was iffy ...

And then it just comes together and it was tasty, I have to say ...

The process of the tuna w/ all the lemon, the frying, the onion was highly transformative, so the perceived tuna and shrimp clash just wasn't in the final product ...

In truth, w/o the shrimp in the remoulade, it would have been absent fishy flavor altogether, I think ...

Killer baguette from the gourmet grocer didn't hurt anything ...

What I didn't like, was the store bought remoulade had an ingredient w/ horseradish ... and I don't like horseradish ... so I would spin something up based on an aoili or thousand island in the future in that regard ...

Anyways, it was definitely new terrain for me and I'll definitely try some further things w/ the friend tuna balls ... I have some ideas already ...

The foo foo is only going to get worse for a while - it waxes and wanes - I bought some powdered soy lecithin ... watch for some air/froth action coming soon ...

Perhaps I was overly critical and too quick on the draw to judge the shrimp/tuna concept.

'Specially since I consume more fish and shrimps than any man seen.

And tuna balls should be embraced just because its fun to say out loud.

As far as the chilled tequila thang'..

You've admitted your transgression and the court finds that no further action is warranted.

Tuna Balls!

:lol:

The worst part of that dish will be when I walk in the door after work and it stinks from frying ... not. a. fan.

mrs. blues is the same way.

She loves fish n' chips.

Just don't cook it in our house.

The only reason I get away with cooking fish in our house is the chloroform soaked towel I put over my dear sweet wife's head prior to cooking.

Also works great on whiny loud mouthed neighbor kids and teaches the dumbest dog to play dead.

Holy chuna balls!

I never knew such a treat existed. I love the gourmet tuna. I'm gonna have to try that fried balls out FO SHO

And as for that tuna strainer deal, you have a kitchen gadget for every purpose, or what, GM??

Holy chuna balls!

I never knew such a treat existed. I love the gourmet tuna. I'm gonna have to try that fried balls out FO SHO

And as for that tuna strainer deal, you have a kitchen gadget for every purpose, or what, GM??

I was a surgical nurse for ophthalmologists before, and am a cad/cam guy now ... all of which require my hands ...

Therefore, it wasn't prudent to continue the habit of pressing the living shit out of the tuna in the can w/ the sharp lid and inside edge ...

For a couple of dollars ... you don't have to risk injury ... and let me tell you, when I *DO* make tuna, I make like 4 cans at once ... it's a win.

Thanks DB! I must be part Southern too....cuz I sure am crazy for catfish! I can't get over how fresh it smelled! I gotta figure out what to bribe the butcherette with to let me dip into their 'secret stash' in the back of the freezer!!!!! :D

They seem to have Tilapia more often, but I've never had it.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice about Tilapia?!?!?!?!

Tilapia is a freshwater fish. I usually stick with the saltwater fish because (IMO) freshwater fish taste like pond water, and saltwater fish taste like awesome. BUT Tilapia is one of the best freshwater fish I've ever had... because it grows fast and doesn't have time to soak up all the scum. Which is weird because they mostly eat plants and algae.

Catfish are pretty good, too. And the way they farm them now... I've got no problem with mouth fistin' that if it's done right... like your Po' Boy.

Back