food Sandwich of the Month

CJ, for proofing.

Oh! I get it! That beats my crazy system! (which involves firewood, newspaper, matches, and Scovie!)

Booma - that's crazy about the Sourdough! Are you starting it from scratch, or do you have someone to get some starter from?
Last week I decided it was time to take on some sourdough, but then learned my stepmom just lost her 75 year old starter! So I'm going to have to start my own strain now. Bummer! But I found an old recipe (from the 1890s), and it's pretty standard, so I'm going for it.

The wicker baskets are for the Wood Fired Oven, so not sure yet, i think i have to soak then first before using. Will get around to it soon, got to also start a Sourdough Starter mix i think, give that a crack

Boom man I think they are just for final proofing with linen unless I am wrong. You bake in them? I know you have to wash them, and dry them in the oven on low heat so the staples don't rust... but never seen baking with them.

The company that supplied the baskets, also supplied a few recipes, bread cutter, bread scalpel and also some of there Sourdough Starter mix. Dry Form. So be from scratch sort of. Want to start using some it in pizza dough also once its up and running

THP, hmmmm have to see, thought they were for baking also, may be completely wrong, got a couple different shaped ones. Still very amatuerish in the bread bizness

Rocketman has written extensively on sour dough starters. If you can find his posts, they are well worth the read. And he's shared a LOT of knowledge with SoFlo. He's a stand-up guy, very generous with helping people out... I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure if you PM'd him about Sour Dough Starter, he'd be all over it.

Booma - you are a certified badass kitchen ninja. I never cease to be amazed by your knack for producing amazing looking things - this bread is no exception.

Man - as CJ said, you've got the touch. I can't bake for shiz.

Plah!

I been workin'.

Hard.

I shall endeavor to persevere and round up a reubensky for mao'ing n' sheeit after this weekend.

Where all da' sammich junky's at?

Im planning on cookin up a corned beef St Patricks day. It's a long time tradition. Second annual. I'll be postin up a reuben then.

For now. Sandwedge of the month
sandwedge.jpg

Where all da' sammich junky's at?

Looked up this post earlier today and was wondering the same thing. Then I read the Jerky thread and saw that meat slicer... made me start researching. Uh-oh...

Gadget, what would you recommend? Just pondering the "if" factor. Honestly don't have room for something like that, but I could MAKE room if I really wanted to.

Of every review I read, it came down to the Edgecraft - Chef's Choice 615.

Greetings! I'll have to defer to SD ...

We picked up a Chef's Choice 615 from Amazon (but have yet to put it through it's paces) ...

It's about time to make some fiery stuff again ... THP has been quiet, I'm assuming it's because people aren't harvesting pods and that it's slow in the winter?

I have a cheap shitty meat slicer, and I can attest to the following statement...
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CHEAP SHITTY MEAT SLICER!!!!!!

It sucks. I'd rather have a good sharp knife.
It cuts meat into triangles, starting paper thin, ending 1/4 inch.

I'm holding out for an old Hobart from a foreclosed deli. It'll happen.

I have a cheap shitty meat slicer, and I can attest to the following statement...
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CHEAP SHITTY MEAT SLICER!!!!!!

It sucks. I'd rather have a good sharp knife.
It cuts meat into triangles, starting paper thin, ending 1/4 inch.

I'm holding out for an old Hobart from a foreclosed deli. It'll happen.

If Chris can hook us up with something like that... I'm in.

Back