• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

Cemita Carnitas (not mine) to jumpstart your tastebuds!

cemita_carnitas.jpg

Good to include all those you did TB!

GO!

Lucky me I have a fresh bag of pulled pork in the fridge, just need to crisp it up and use some of my homemade pickles and this avocado begging to be used.. 

Truth be told, the whole mole' 'thang for the throwdown plumb evades me.

I've made it several times and it just never seemed to be right and don't reckon I can even come close to compete.

But a torta or a bocadillo I can do!

I'll focus my Cinco de Mayo attentions in this thread while watching the goin's on in the t-down thread.

texas blues said:
Truth be told, the whole mole' 'thang for the throwdown plumb evades me.

I've made it several times and it just never seemed to be right and don't reckon I can even come close to compete.

But a torta or a bocadillo I can do!

I'll focus my Cinco de Mayo attentions in this thread while watching the goin's on in the t-down thread.
Same here, already had meals planned out and looking forward to Caribbean night! 

texas blues said:
Its that time again.

And in honor of Cinco de Mayo...

I declare SOTM MAY ~ Torta/Cemita/Sandwiche'/Bocadillo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torta

And while we're at it lets include and embrace all 'thangs sammich relative to Mexico!

Viva el sandwiche'!

Get on it y'all.
Glad u'r back, things were not the same! :D

Btw at my home that is a torta:
iwrUejThzI7Lp.jpg

Of course i didn't made that, a friend of mine made it for her birthday party. That's insane.

Just to say that in Italy torta means pie (mostly, but not always, sweet type)! :P

I don't know if this qualify as torta... But since these are some of the truest pizza sandwiches... I already posted one on pizza thread, here panuozzo napoletano!
Not really famous here...

I suppose any pizza dough should do.
I used 500g of w350 flour, 200 durum wheat, 4g yeast, 550 water 4°C, 17g salt, 1g sugar + 39 hours of fridge and 5 at weather temp (1 before + 4 after).

Here before cooking:
icpG3kbpn2VCF.jpg

Near one without rolling pin.

Fillings:
ibaS12vh9BckXo.jpg

Mushrooms, mozz, white provola, pepperoni, el yucateco kutbil-ik (good sauce!)

First, the one with rolling pin:
iyQEIzMAICHST.jpg

20 mins at 250°C, mid low position

iFXt1YXZ2xziN.jpg

Not bad!

Before cooking:
iZiD01PK0YODz.jpg

After cooking, other 10 mins at 250°C, same position
ib1jXUa6A3D3zy.jpg

Slice:
ibcTNiY5e4P6Il.jpg

2nd;

15 mins at mid high position, 250°C
ibutmE4Vo3dGMC.jpg

Swapped upside, 10 mins mid low position:
ibfdHSCAc9SJt8.jpg

Slice
iurjdoXkwFppS.jpg

First one was more airy.

Crust was thin and very crunchy, in the middle very soft but fully cooked.

A good pizza is better, but that one is very good too!

Thanks all!

Ha ha CH, you make great stuff and i tought the same particularly when i saw your asado (wich is really masterful)! :D

Well I swore I was done with meat for the month but...

I lied.

Cleaning out the freezer I found a small chuck roast that I was supposed to cook for mrs. blues but never did. 

So now what? She's off in Washington DC on bidness all week. I don't want to toss it though.

What the hell. Thawed it out and hit the CI along with fresh cracked BP, kosher salt, and whole cloves of garlic.

Into the oven @325 for an undetermined amount of time.

2 hours in.

This'll make some nice machaca to go on a torta later tonight.

Luego.

Back