• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Saturday is National Gumbo Day

let's make some gumbo and post here...  Phil? Joyner?  Scovie?  I know you guys are in.

JayT's in the house..........nice show of ingredients, and way to start off the process with a B-Mary

Is that your cooked down Roux or did you add stock.....bubbling around the edges and a show of pan ? 

edit: OOps.......the show of pan I was reffering to must be a reflection of light...my bad !
Ususally with a working Roux the mix will run right back.....

Ok, here's the rest of the story...   I checked the seasoning, added a little more creole seasoning, some crab boil, and then the file powder.  I like lots of file.  Then, after simmering for an hour, I added the fish (should be redfish, but I had none so it is haddock)  cooked that for about ten minutes, then added the okra, a seafood medley of calamari, mussels, clams, and finally a pound of shrimp.  cooked for a minute and turned off the heat.  A squeeze of lemon and it is ready.

102_0157.JPG

102_0158.JPG

102_0159.JPG

This is what seafood gumbo is to me.  I just use whatever I can get my hands on always shrimp, sometimes crab, sometimes, crawfish, usually some sort of fish and shellfish.  The whole keys are the roux, the seasoning mix, and the file.  If it is seasoned properly it is so flavorful and leaves you with a warm burn, but not so spicy that you don't want to keep going back for more and more.

Nice finishing shot........that's a different approach adding the File' then simmering for another hr.....Bowl looks tasty !

besides flavor, the file is also a thickener.  I always end up adding more after it is finished though because I like the flavor so much.

Since I was out camping and couldn't participate, my wife felt bad for me and bought this to take along. 

20131011_203624.jpg

We ate it on Saturday with some chicken and sausage that I grilled but to be honest, it tasted like crap. Juest like a can of stewed tomatoes. No gumbo flavor at all. Oh well. I guess that is all you can count on for a canned product. 

Good job, JayT! I'd hit that! How did cooking the rice in the gumbo work out? Not too starchy? And yes, file' is a thickener.... gotta b e careful or you can turn the whole pot into a slimey, gooey mess. Looks like you managed it just fine, though. Ground sassafras used properly. 

I've always approached chicken or turkey gumbo differently than seafood.... chicken gumbo should be thinner than seafood. I usually make my seafood gumbo with a darker, heavier roux to thicken the gravy.

Back