seed-train Scorched Train 2015-2016

juanitos said:
shipped. https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9405903699300351291765

this thing is about the size of a football.
zY06vzr.jpg
A fully inflated football or one that has been tampered with?

D3monic said:
What's the average shipping cost on it?

Around $6 for padded flat rate envelope which we're currently using. I'll have to go through the train and see what's what when I get it back after Dragonpeppers. If we have to upgrade to a bigger box cost will go up. Mfrb is around $12 to ship, might be able to find a different box for cheaper but I like the flat rate boxes. 2 day shipping, $50 insurance and tracking all included. Shipping in another type of box would possibly take longer if it isn't shipped priority and everyone would have to remember to get tracking on it which costs extra. I know $12 isn't cheap but considering the amount and variety of seeds in the train I think it's a pretty good deal. Everyone will only be shipping it only once. Hell a seed order from a vendor can easily be $12 for just a couple of packs of seeds and this baby is packed with as many varieties as most vendors and some things you probably can't get from vendors. Also has powders and such to sample.

In the end we'll put it to a vote if we need to up the box size. Not just my seeds in there so I don't want to make a decision that is going to cost more money without running it by everyone else. But I'll get the train and see what's what before we get to that point but I think this is what's going to have to happen especially since we're starting a new round with new stops which will be even more seeds. Mfrb is pretty big and I don't think we would ever have to go up from there. Oh and we ditched the sfrbs inside the padded envelope a while back so it's all seeds inside that baby.

ROUND 1:

1) ikeepfish
2) bhut camp
3) fiogga
4) Seacowboy
5) someguy
6) Wicked Mike
7) mpicante
8) Hybrid Mode 01
9) bukowski9
10) Scorched
11) Slizarus
12) tctenten
13) Husker21
14) FGpepperguy
15) CAPCOM
16) TexasHotPeppers
17) bpwilly
18) parker49
19) juanitos
20) Dragonpeppers
21) Scorched (train received, end of Round 1)

i mean the envelope is fine as long as no one adds more than a few packets and people start taking some.. bpwilly and texashotpeppers added like a pound each which is why its so full.

I would like to join for round 2 if that's alright. I know I'm just barely above the post minimum but I plan to stay active from now through this year's growing season and in the future. I've started a bit of a collection and would love to contribute to everyone else's as well as expand my own.

Scorched said:

Around $6 for padded flat rate envelope which we're currently using. I'll have to go through the train and see what's what when I get it back after Dragonpeppers. If we have to upgrade to a bigger box cost will go up. Mfrb is around $12 to ship, might be able to find a different box for cheaper but I like the flat rate boxes. 2 day shipping, $50 insurance and tracking all included. Shipping in another type of box would possibly take longer if it isn't shipped priority and everyone would have to remember to get tracking on it which costs extra. I know $12 isn't cheap but considering the amount and variety of seeds in the train I think it's a pretty good deal. Everyone will only be shipping it only once. Hell a seed order from a vendor can easily be $12 for just a couple of packs of seeds and this baby is packed with as many varieties as most vendors and some things you probably can't get from vendors. Also has powders and such to sample.

In the end we'll put it to a vote if we need to up the box size. Not just my seeds in there so I don't want to make a decision that is going to cost more money without running it by everyone else. But I'll get the train and see what's what before we get to that point but I think this is what's going to have to happen especially since we're starting a new round with new stops which will be even more seeds. Mfrb is pretty big and I don't think we would ever have to go up from there. Oh and we ditched the sfrbs inside the padded envelope a while back so it's all seeds inside that baby.

You might look into an 'A' sized regional priority box.  Volume is about 5~6 times a SFRB. Postage is per weight and distance, but since the seeds are so light the price should compare well to the envelope, particularly on short trips. 

Tony, I'll go round 2 if you can put me in the caboose or there about.

If the MFRE ships at $12.00. I would divide the envelope into 2 SFREs. Deliveries should still be very close together but if there is a mishap like from IL to TX had you dont have all your seeds in 1 envelope.

So it looks like we're at the end of the train's first run. Thank you to everyone that participated, you guys and gals filled this thing with more varieties of seeds that I could ever imagine. 19 stops and we had only one small delay that was caused by the post office. Everyone also did a great job of getting the train back on the tracks quickly. I hope everyone found something in the train that they were interested in growing. Thanks to those that shared sauces, powders, jelly, dried pods, etc. Shame the post office broke one of them.

Once the train gets back to me I'll have it back out within the week. Hopefully round 2 goes as well as round 1 did. To the new riders, be sure to read over the rules/requirements if you haven't already so there are no surprises or misunderstandings.

Round 2 will be closing Sunday at midnight. So any current participants or new participants (that meet the rules/requirements) who want in Post In This Thread. I will finalize the order the train runs Monday and post it.

Back