• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scored myself a garden today!!!

why is illegal to live there i mean it is your place right ? you paid for it... is it built of some kind of toxic dump site lol .. no really why can't you live there ????
Chiliac said:
Well, it's illegal to live in there although a lot of people are doing it. But it's soooo cool anyway, I'll probably spend some summer nights in there, but I need my daily HotPepper fix, that'll drag me back to my flat! :) As long as you don't try to make this your official address, you can spend as much time there as you want!

IGG: be sure to keep me posted about your plants, I have never been to Passow (I guess you mean Passau in the very south of Germany), but it'd be great to meet you then!!! I've been to Cleveland twice, but that was in '99...

AJ: I was just kidding, this forum wouldn't be as much fun if it was about competition!

Pepperfreak: Thanks, man! I appreciate it!

jackie: thanks a lot. You can tell I am happy with it!

IGG: I looked for Passow and I have probably been there indeed, but didn't realize it. I have spent some time in that area five years ago and have most certainly been in Passow, too. It's a beautiful place, all of that area is. You can see some pics on the german Wiki site: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passow_(Uckermark) It's also much closer to Berlin than I thought it was! :)

mrmulcher: because it is officially a garden and so you don't have to pay taxes for owning it etc. That's the pro and it comes with the con that you can't use it as any other house you wherever. As I said, a lot of people are doing it anyway, at least during the summer and as long as you don't do it too obviously, you won't get into trouble!

Chiliac that is awesome! I hope you remember to keep us updated on the garden.

I can't believe how cheap that is. I really wish that was possible out here in Canada!

100 miles south of Berlin? I spent a week in Berlin, but I've spent about 3 months or more in Eppelheim and Heidelberg. Beautiful area, I really wish I could move out there for a few years. Too bad I can't really speak German yet :)

looks awesome Chiliac,keep us posted..just got me an alotemt to growing anything apart from toms/Chiles? :)

You bet I'll keep you updated! I wanna grow mainly chilis, toms and also eggplants, several herbs, beans, berries, carrots, raddish and cucumbers. Then there's a cherry tree, an apple tree and a plum tree as well as a few pieplants. I'm sure that many more ideas will appear, but even if I have a lot of space there (around 420 square meters), there are certain limits!

are great to see grow some okra,broad beans to you'll love them..if you have space..o and some Pak Choi :)

Hey Chiliac, Looking awesome. Are you going to be able to keep things growing all year in the garden, or just the house. Either way, that is a steal.

The climate here is similiar to the U.S.' so it won't allow it. Main grow periods are from May (planting out) to September/October, depending on how soon it's getting cold.

is there anywhere inside the house you could have a grow area?

Yeah, if I rearrange some of the furniture a bit and install some lights I could easily grow a good number of seedlings. I am actually thinking about building a shelf similiar to yours!

I'll get the keys on Tuesday and will take some pics of the house.

I just found out a friend on my car forum's family owns two gardens in Wolfsburg (home of Volkswagen). I'm starting to see this is a common occurrence in Germany.

Yeah, it's not too uncommon at all! It was more common back in the 70s I think and is far more popular in the eastern part than in the western part and most young people do not seem to care about a garden anymore.

I used to live near Wolfsburg until 2001! :) (My first car was a 1973 beetle!)

Chiliac said:
Yeah, if I rearrange some of the furniture a bit and install some lights I could easily grow a good number of seedlings. I am actually thinking about building a shelf similiar to yours!

I'll get the keys on Tuesday and will take some pics of the house.

cool Chiliac...would love to see some pics inside....question...does the 160 a month you have to pay cover utilities too and do you have sufficient water for the garden?

Chiliac said:
Yeah, it's not too uncommon at all! It was more common back in the 70s I think and is far more popular in the eastern part than in the western part and most young people do not seem to care about a garden anymore.

I used to live near Wolfsburg until 2001! :) (My first car was a 1973 beetle!)
Wolfsburg rules man. And MY first car was a 72 Beetle. My current car is a 02 Beetle and my girl has an 06 Rabbit (Golf). We very much love all things German.

including gardens!:)

AlabamaJack said:
cool Chiliac...would love to see some pics inside....question...does the 160 a month you have to pay cover utilities too and do you have sufficient water for the garden?

It's 160 per year! There's water and power, but that has to be paid for extra, of course. Besides that there are 6 large barrels to collect rainwater, that'll help me safe a lot of money on water.

There are no further costs or fees besides that.

geez 160 per year...no deals over here like that...

this seems to be a chile heads dream come true chiliac...congrats man..

Back