• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scored myself a garden today!!!

Thanks a lot AJ!

For me it's definitely a dream come true, it's more or less exactly what I was looking for, if not more. I can hardly wait until Tuesday, I wanna start working there! :)

Now I _really_ wanna move to Germany. Sell my overpriced $800k home, buy a $300k house and get a second garden home for a couple hundred euro's a year...

Man, that's just awesome Chiliac!

Congratulations Chiliac.
I too am jealous of you.

For the areas that you want to grow in the ground, you can start preparing right now by planting green manure.
a green manure is a type of cover crop grown primarily to add nutrients and organic matter to the soil.
Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_manure

Damn dude... that's one SWEET deal! land where I live is like gold here. it could be small, toxic, illegal to build on and still go for at least $300,000...
You're one lucky dude! :D

chiliac - :shocked::cool: $400 dollars for house & land, very cool & congrats to ya.
but why cant you live in it ? I know you said something about taxes but why else ? is it condemned or just zoned for agricultural purposes only ?

how many acres ?
is this normal for house/land prices in germany ? :shocked: I thought it'd cost alot more since here in the usa it would.

can you transfer it to be considered liveable, what would that property of costed if it was considered liveable before you bought it ?

sorry for so many questions but I'm just amazed because of the price.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the late reply, I wasn't home for a few days.

No problem about your questions chilehunter, don't worry!

I can't live in there (at least not officially) because it is in a "garden zone", so more or less as you said. The price is a great deal for sure, but if it was the same land with a house I could legally live in, it would be 20.000+ bucks (probably lotsa ++++ :))!

It's 420+ square meters, notz sure how many acres that is, sorry!

It's in one of the largest (if not THE largest) garden zones in Germany with almost 600 gardens. Some people DO live in there for sure, but they could never admit it.

There are some gardens that could be had for free because people who own them tried to get rid of them for years, but those are in a condition that'd take years to turn it into a garden again.

I have a flat in the city not that far away from the garden, so it's all fine with me. I'll probably live there for a few days now and then during the summer, nobody really minds that, because nearly everyone is doing it. It has all I need incl. a small kitchen and a toilet.

I'll get the keys tomorrow, yee hah!!! :)

kilobit: I am actually planning on doing sth like that this year to prepare the soil for next season. Thanks for the advice and the link though, I appreciate it!!!

Man..what a great deal.

And to think I pay $345 a month for a 1BR Apt. with nothing but pavement around it. Things like that just don't happen here...well, perhaps in more rural areas. :)

Awesome.

Thanks, mate!

Actually, I don't live in a rural area at all. I don't have a lot of money at all - just like you - so I'm even more glad I got this. I couldn't even afford your app., mine is 220 bucks a month, but it's an old house. Young people round here simply do not seem to be into gardening anymore, they'd rather buy more ringtones, so the older have trouble gettinmg rid of their gardens when they can't maintain them any longer.

Chiliac if you need any vegetable or herb seed or chili seeds drop me a p.m be glad to help to your patch :)

Chiliac said:
I can't live in there (at least not officially) because it is in a "garden zone", so more or less as you said. The price is a great deal for sure, but if it was the same land with a house I could legally live in, it would be 20.000+ bucks (probably lotsa ++++ :))!

It's 420+ square meters, notz sure how many acres that is, sorry!

It's in one of the largest (if not THE largest) garden zones in Germany with almost 600 gardens. Some people DO live in there for sure, but they could never admit it.

There are some gardens that could be had for free because people who own them tried to get rid of them for years, but those are in a condition that'd take years to turn it into a garden again.

I have a flat in the city not that far away from the garden, so it's all fine with me. I'll probably live there for a few days now and then during the summer, nobody really minds that, because nearly everyone is doing it. It has all I need incl. a small kitchen and a toilet.

I'll get the keys tomorrow, yee hah!!! :)

right now I'm to lazy to see what 420 sq meters is in acres term, but looks like maybe a big lot size around 1/4 - 1/3 acre (just guessing)

20,000 still seems very very cheap. compared to here.

free or cheap, I dont know about your country but I'd be nabbing those places up free or buying dirt cheap ($400 ammounts). because by the sounds of it gardens arent in high demand nowadays there & population is always gonna grow = cities get bigger & need more space for development & hope they change the zoning on those parcels. & later you cash in because of this. in the meantime rent them out to anyone for gardening.

if I had the money to travel to germany & often I'd buy at least one to stay in while vacation there, sure would cost less than hotel fees.

but again congrats to ya on a good deal & hope you grow some great chiles next season.

QuadShotz said:
Things like that just don't happen here...well, perhaps in more rural areas. :)

Awesome.

it still doesnt happen here, even in rural boondocks locations, just not gonna happen for that price!

talas said:
Chiliac if you need any vegetable or herb seed or chili seeds drop me a p.m be glad to help to your patch :)

Very cool, mate! I may very well do that soon! :)

QuadShotz said:
According to Google: 420 (sq meters) = 0.10378426 acres

Thanks for helping out, I could've thought of that myself. :banghead:

chilehunter said:
thats smaller than I thought.

I hope the picks weren't deceiving. It's big enough for me, a little more would be okay, but I'm not going to complain! I decided to turn some lawn behind the house into growing space, too for some plants that do not like direct sunlight all day.

till the whole damn thing man. just rip it up Farmer Brown style.

and mental note to everyone: when in Germany, buy a free garden for a place to stay!

Chiliac, love to hear about your new garden. If you need any more vegetable seeds let me know, I have plenty and willing to share. Good luck with your new garden spot.

Jackie

Back