seed-train Seed train caboose (at least from me)

how do i get in on this?

teamcole, you're already in! Chad set this up so that the Train would travel based on the posting order in this thread. Unlike some other swaps with pre-set lists, you don't need to get some special person to add you to any official "list" in order to participate! Simply by posting in this thread, you've automatically added youself! :cool:

Based on when you decided to post, you've also automatically set your own position on the Train! You're the next person after me - I'll make sure the box has plenty of goodies when it comes your way! ;)

Where is Orange, anyways?

I would like to get in if possible

Bodeen, ditto! According to the way Chad set this up, by posting here, you're automatically added too! - Congratulations!!! :party:

You're now the next guy after teamcole.

current list, someone can correct if wrong. i'm done updating it

While you made some other alterations, it appears you accidentally forgot to include the corrections you yourself had already agreed to -

I agree that it should go to everyone on the list before it takes it second tour

fine with me

I believe you are a man of your word and that this was an inadvertent oversight, no biggy, the fix is now a minor one for us to do anyways.

please undo my #2. I'm sure others would appreciate the sharing of seeds, too.

Thanks, catherinew! I figured once the great folks here thought about this issue, the generosity and sense of fair play of the group would shine through. Your comment is a shining example of both - THANKS! :)

Several members expressed interest in participating in a possible future round. But AFAIK, no one actually asked to get the box twice before others got a chance. This was never discussed, let alone agreed to, it is also in direct violation of the instructions and objectives specified by Chad when he created this offer.

I therefore think it is unfair to require members to have to manually withdraw from something they did not actually request, and more importantly, unfair to require them to give-up their rights to participate in a possible future second round in order to do so.

I also believe it is unfair that folks that thought it was WAY too early to even be thinking about a second round at this point, to loose there original place in line as a result.

As far as I am concerned, EVERYONE still retains their ability to participate in a possible future second round, either in their current order, or any other arrangement (like reversed) mutually agreed to by Chad and the participants at that time. People should not be penalized for doing the right thing! :shame:

At this point, the issue is nearly moot, as nearly everyone who was double-listed above the other participants has withdrawn. Of the two remaining hold-outs, it appears Smiter Q may have been "cyberbullied" out this thread (and virtually out of THP entirely), by a vicious personal attack on Dec. 28th. He stopped posting in some other threads he was active in as well, causing some of us to wonder what had happened. I'm trying to contact him, and make sure he is OK, and let him know we miss him here. :)

(That's what happens when you don't stand up to bullying - the victim feels no one here cares, and you end-up loosing good people!)

Even if he did wish to stay listed twice (which I doubt), with only 2 hold-outs, the looping would be so tight, it would unnecessarily delay the train for something that could be done just as easily with a simple trade! -

smitter q
bearmystrong
smiter q
hot stuff
bearmystrong

Even if that was OK, that arrangement doesn't even make sense logistically.

So, going through the thread from top to bottom, I get the following posting order -

chad s
cory_huck
wrightdaddy
Guillo1
ZanderSpice

gitguymertin
biscgolf
catherinew
mtbrider17
brewmasta
nmorris279
habaneroheat81
coheed196
Smiter Q
bearmystrong
hot stuff
hixs
AtomicCobraPeppers
Windsong
Spankyscolts
Melissa77754
Emu
laserguy
teamcole
Bodeen

(I've also corrected a few nic's, and also re-added the prior participants at the top - this may come in handy later, if/when Chad/the group decides it's an appropriate time to swing the train back around!)

This is not MY list, this is the actual posting order as specified by Chad. NO one is "ListMaster" here! This list is only a convenience, so people don't have to manually go through the thread to see who's next.

Look, even if we did cut-off new participants today, and loop the box just to those on the train already, we're STILL not gonna see the box again in time for this year, right? (at the current rate the box is traveling, we may not even see it in time for Round 1! :lol:) So if we're talking about seeds for NEXT year anyways, doesn't it make sense for it to get out to more people before you use-up your second turn, so when it DOES finally come back around to you, it's filled with a lot more fun goodies? ;)

Like Chad said at the beginning, I wanna see this thing get built-up to lots of people. We've got two new passengers already - Let's get us some more! :onfire:

Are we still on schedule, where's the train at now?

Choo-Choo!!! :cool:

i removed wrightdaddy and myself because we had both stated it was fine for that to be the case. i did not remove the others who had yet to speak because it was not my place to do so. i was merely doing the clerical work for those involved all along, not trying to dictate the structure of this train's route. since you so obviously feel it IS your place to do so, help yourself.

the train should be arriving at my house in the next day or two according to gitguymertin. it will leave here the following day.

LG....you sure like hearing yourself talk. Smiter q has personal issues going on right now that DO NOT INCLUDE you...I know its hard to believe, seeing that you have your hand in everything it seems. You have got to be the most long winded ordinary I have ever met. I mean really, do. A people actually read all of your posts? You know when I was growing up, my dad taught me a simple line. It goes like this. "Keep it simple, stupid."
Obviously you have never heard that....

Person**. Spell check got me

thanks laserguy cant wait for my turn. orange is located about 20 miles east of beaumont on interstate 10 at the louisiana state line.

I do not believe I have the right to alter the structure of the train's path. No one does. This was set-up by Chad when he created this offer and donated a boat-load of his own seeds to get it started, and agreed to by all of us when we joined it. If someone did did not like this "posting order" train route or "as many people as possible in time for this season" idea, then they should not have joined his offer. But by doing so, they now have a mutual obligation to the other participants to abide by that.

well sorry i have to get out all togeather now i just came down on orders to Germany. thanks for leting me jump on though lol

bearmystrong, sorry to hear that! Germany's not such a bad place to be stationed, though. How long you gonna be out there, any chance you might get back in time? I'm sure everybody would be happy to keep your spot open for ya, just in case. :)

While you're out there, drink some Warsteiner for me! ;)

warsteiner.jpg

thanks laserguy cant wait for my turn. orange is located about 20 miles east of beaumont on interstate 10 at the louisiana state line.

Your welcome, teamcole! So what's it like where you are - wooded, swampy, what? How's the temps & humidity out there? You growing any peppers yet, if so, what kind? Anything in particular you are looking to grow?

Trying to figure-out what I could add for ya! ;)

Finally, some interesting news about...

Pepper Karma

When folks with duplicate names expressed a willingness to give-up Round 2 participation entirely if need be to avoid delaying the train for the other participants, with a few exceptions, most did so without hesitation or complaint, but one person's comment in particular stood-out, expressing the "Pay it Forward" thinking that Chad had in mind when he set it up this way, and impressed me so much that I publicly complimented her on it -

please undo my #2. I'm sure others would appreciate the sharing of seeds, too.

Thanks, catherinew! I figured once the great folks here thought about this issue, the generosity and sense of fair play of the group would shine through. Your comment is a shining example of both - THANKS! :)

At the time, another generous member, smokemaster, was still offering a Seed Givaway Lotto, and the more that people kept guessing wrong, the more seeds he kept adding. :crazy: This eventually grew to perhaps one of the biggest pepper seed givaways in history, about 200 different varieties, over 1/4 of which were commercially purchased! :cool:

Later that same night, when guesses had died-off and still no correct answer, smokemaster announced he was just going to randomly select a winner. The next morning, he took off his glasses, blindly threw a dart at a target filled with #'s from all over the world, and the winner is...

That same person, catherinew!!! :shocked:

(See what happens when the pepper gods smile on you? ;))

Congratulations, catherinew - you deserve it! :clap:

An inspiring story of Pepper Karma, to remember next time you are deciding whether or not to put others' pepper needs ahead of your own personal benefit! :cool:

Thanks, laserguy. I am humbled when I read about myself in print, though I do not deserve any accolades. But thanks to smokemaster, I will definitely be sharing so many of his seeds with this train and also will be growing out some peppers for his seed bank. He is so generous and needs fresh seeds to share with others. I challenge any of you to do the same. We all love fresh seeds to start every season.

Like laserguy said - we need to 'Pay it Forward".

laserguy it is both wooded and swampy here you can go just a few miles in any direction and find anything you want.the weather around here stays about the same if it drops down into the forties or fifties it does'nt stay long. in the summer it gets pretty hot though. right now i have ghost peppers, and t. scorpions germinating hoping to see some sprouts this week cause i work offshore and have to leave for two weeks monday so the wife will have to take care of em. i am interested in the super hots but this is my first time growing any peppers from seed so i hope it works out

still not here... left florida on the 4th... :rolleyes:

i pm'ed gitguymertin to check on tracking info but have received no response.

i have about 20 varieties i had pulled out to add if they weren't in it already. if it doesn't get here by friday i'm going to package those up and send them to catherinew.

at this point i wish i hadn't signed up for this fiasco.

That is not your decision to arbitrarily make, particularly this early! :rolleyes:

I would remind everyone that it has only been a little over a week (9-10 days, as no mail delivery since Saturday) - less time than it took your buddy to get the package across just 1 state line. We also didn't get a quick response then to PM's either, but nobody was talking about completely giving-up on the package yet! :crazy:

To prevent this sort of situation from happening again is why I previously suggested that we all agree to include tracking.

If it turns-out this was indeed a tracked package, then talk about giving-up on it is wildly premature - we need to contact the Post Office first, and see if they can track-down our seeds!

And if this is an untracked package, it is possible for shenanigans to occur at either end (i.e. - the prior person could falsely claim shipment, but the recipient could also falsely claim non-receipt). It is thus inappropriate for any one individual, particularly either the sender or the intended recipient of this seed bounty in a disputed portion of the Train's journey, to to arbitrarily decide all on their own at what point this package containing seeds for all of us be officially declared MIA and/or replaced.

That is a group decision. I joined this train based on the varieties Chad and some of the early participants were adding, this package should have a LOT of different things in it already, and I for one am highly disinclined to give-up on it at this early juncture, :crazy: particularly not before hearing from gitguymertin, or making any attempt to track-down this package, let alone giving it enough time for USPS! (On that last one, I recently ordered something f/eBay that took longer than this to arrive - I thought maybe the seller was yanking my chain about the shipping date, but when it arrived, the postmark matched what the seller had said - it was just First Class Mail taking it's time! ;))

I also noticed that gitguymertin has not been on THP since Jan. 4th, so it is also quite possible we may have a situation similar to wrightdaddy (particularly after I read this). Like wrightdaddy, a little patience may be all that is required.

Depending on his settings, if he has not been around lately, he may not even be aware that anyone PM'd him! Guillo1 may thus be in a better position to get in touch with him.

Have you tried E-MAILing him?

no one is talking about giving up on it . what i am talking about is getting at least some seed in the hands of those behind me on the list. should the package actually show up here it can continue from here as per usual and eventually be united with what i send out.

no i have not tried emailing him... i do not see an email available on his profile- perhaps you in your infinite wisdom could enlighten me as how to do so...

are you this condescending in real life or just on the internet?

OMG Laser Guy, you make me want to throw up. I am laughing so hard as to how long it took you to type up that heaping pile of dribble... Biscgolf, I think that is a great idea. (Very thoughtful and considerate on your end to get seeds into the hands of the next person)

tomorrow will be 3 weeks since gitguymertin sent the package in my direction- still not here. i'll put together something tomorrow and send out to catherinew. should the "real" package arrive here at some point i'm just going to send it on as well without putting anything in nor taking anything out. hopefully the 2 can be united at some point but i see no reason to wait any longer- it's time for some folks to be getting things started.

i would encourage everyone to get delivery confirmation on it and post the number here. delivery confirmation is free if you pay for the priority shipping online or costs $.70 at the post office (unless it went up with other first class rates)- a small price to pay for actually being able to tell where the darn package is.

should the package actually show up here...

Unless you have knowledge that whoever is currently in possession of the box intends on stealing it, I see no reason to confuse things by splitting the train into two pieces at this early juncture, and burdening myself and the other participants with having to deal with two boxes instead of one! :confused:

Given that we haven't even heard from gitguymertin yet, such a decision (which is something for the group to decide), is also premature.

I don't mind waiting a few days to find-out what happened to all of those seeds! And I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way!

Indeed, the person who would have the strongest motive to push us to start a replacement box (with only 1 person's seeds), before we even made any serious attempt to contact gitguymertin and/or track-down Chad's package containing all of those wonderful varieties of seeds, would be a person who had stolen the package! :eek:

no i have not tried emailing him... i do not see an email available on his profile- perhaps you in your infinite wisdom could enlighten me as how to do so...

As the next destination on the Train's path, I figured you two may have wisely swapped contact info or communicated via E-MAIL already.

If not, you could have also just posted something here and asked us. :eh:

As I already mentioned, the person before him (correction - zanderspice), might also be in a better position to contact him.

You could also have asked THP to contact him via E-MAIL regarding this matter.

None of these ideas require "infinite wisdom", but are fairly obvious to anyone who was actually trying to reach him about this.

perhaps you in your infinite wisdom could enlighten me as how to do so...

But being how you asked so politely :rolleyes:, I will endeavor to do as you requested...

A cursory check would have not only revealed that he has been offline since Jan. 4th (and thus has not yet read, and may not even be aware of, any PM!)...

http://www.thehotpep...6-gitguymertin/

...but if you had looked a little further, you would have also spotted something else - that in another recent thread (started the day before this one), he publicly posted his E-MAIL addy here at THP! :eek:

http://www.thehotpep...post__p__530169

You're welcome. :cool:

But again, no arbitrary decisions without discussing it with/getting the approval of the group first!

NO ONE PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO ARBITRARILY DECIDE FOR THE REST OF US TO REPLACE CHAD'S SEED TRAIN WITH HIS OWN BOX CONTAINING JUST 1 PERSON'S SEEDS!!!

:fireball: I would like to on the list...Thanks!

Barley-pop57, assuming Chad's package turns-up and we don't have to call the cops :lol:, you should receive it after Bodeen!

Back