vendor Semillas La Palma

Kind of surprised nobody started a thread for these guys yet. Every time I browse there I feel like a kid in a candy shop... reasonable prices (even after the Euro conversion) and an awesome selection- they advertise over 650 varieties. I bought from them both last year and this year and had good germ rates on my seeds, and last year's grew true.

Only awkwardness is they're based in Spain... they have an English language page but not all of the descriptions are translated. Still, if you know what you're looking for it's not an issue. International orders are made easy through PayPal. My orders arrived within a couple weeks.

I like very much Bishops Crown - Nepalese Bell because they are very good for cold stuffing.
No heat! But you may bring in heat with the mixture you use for stuffing.

Deseed and boil 4min in water with sugar and vinegar, let cool on kitchen paper and fill.

I.e. fresh cheese with salmon.

Peter

Just tried this with bishops crown and brazilian starfish and aji limon and creamcheese and it was awesome! Great recipe !! Now i want more of it :)

Placed a small order with Peter for the first time on Saturday, got an email on Monday to say the seeds had been sent and to allow up to 3 weeks for delivery. Try 3 days - were delivered this afternoon! Great selection of seeds and great service. Will certainly buy from Peter in the future.

I highly recommend that 

US customers should apply for a import permit (small lots of seeds)

It looks like USDA has changed there politics, because some of the recent orders have been confiscated
with the info: phytosanitary certificate missing.

If you have a import permit there is no need for phytos, just follow the procedure that USDA comunicates.

Original Text of USDA:
How to Apply for a Small Lots of Seed Permit: For fastest turn around time, apply on-line at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits .
Alternately, use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products. On the first line of section 3 of the application, enter “SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM”. Starting on the second line, list the seed species and countries from which you want to ship each species. If the list of species is long, you may enter “eligible taxa”. By using this option, you are accepting responsibility for determining the eligibility of the seeds. The Permit Unit cannot tell you if the species are eligible for importation if you do not list them. A permit is issued for taxa that are admissible with no restrictions beyond the port of entry inspection. If port of entry inspectors find prohibited or restricted seeds in your shipment, they will seize and destroy the ineligible kinds.
End of Text

All Capsicum species are eligible, so we will add the list of contents + a copy of your permit and the shipment should pass customs without any problems.

Peter

I want to report on the superb service I've received from Peter.  I ordered seeds from him just before the change he announced on his website in his 11/30 posting.  I did not receive seed I ordered, and was resigned to not bothering to try again.  However, Peter asked me to get the permit, and he sent me seeds again.  He did not charge me again, and was very prompt dealing with me.  The seeds were shipped 12/12 or 13, and arrived at my home either 12/22 or 23.  The permit was neatly attached to the package and the seeds were securely packaged.  For those in the US who might be wondering, the application needed takes maybe 5 minutes to complete if you take your time.  If you have not worked with the USDA in the past, you also need to stop by one of many offices around the country where they will quickly verify your identity with your drivers license or similar document.  At the office identity verification took under a minute, and the folks there were very friendly and helpful.  The permit is valid for three years, and is sent to you electronically.  I will definitely be ordering from Peter again in the future. By the way, the seeds looked very clean and well prepared.
Renais

Renais1 said:
I want to report on the superb service I've received from Peter.  I ordered seeds from him just before the change he announced on his website in his 11/30 posting.  I did not receive seed I ordered, and was resigned to not bothering to try again.  However, Peter asked me to get the permit, and he sent me seeds again.  He did not charge me again, and was very prompt dealing with me.  The seeds were shipped 12/12 or 13, and arrived at my home either 12/22 or 23.  The permit was neatly attached to the package and the seeds were securely packaged.  For those in the US who might be wondering, the application needed takes maybe 5 minutes to complete if you take your time.  If you have not worked with the USDA in the past, you also need to stop by one of many offices around the country where they will quickly verify your identity with your drivers license or similar document.  At the office identity verification took under a minute, and the folks there were very friendly and helpful.  The permit is valid for three years, and is sent to you electronically.  I will definitely be ordering from Peter again in the future. By the way, the seeds looked very clean and well prepared.
Renais
The part in red, I don't see where this is required in the permit application. Where did you find this requirement?

Well, I got my permit now. I think I have to mail the shipping label to you so the package goes to the correct port? Also, is sounds like I have to include extra postage, as they mail it on to me when they are done?

Still need to get a few questions answered I guess.

great germ rate on aji omnicolor from semillas
X9rSz4V.jpg

fO4sOmA.jpg

Here is a little more info on the permitting process. I applied for the permit on a Thursday, and received the approved permit paperwork the next Wednesday. While you might be able to call to check on status, I just logged in to the USDA system where I entered the permit and the system informed me when it was approved. I e-mailed the paperwork to Peter, and he shipped the next day. The address to use for shipping is your normal address for packages; the system takes care of passing the package by the proper people along the way. Also note that the people approving the paperwork changed the species requested from just peppers to all allowed seeds. The permit is good for three years, so I'll likely use it a few more times before getting another.
Renais

Renais1 said:
Here is a little more info on the permitting process. I applied for the permit on a Thursday, and received the approved permit paperwork the next Wednesday. While you might be able to call to check on status, I just logged in to the USDA system where I entered the permit and the system informed me when it was approved. I e-mailed the paperwork to Peter, and he shipped the next day. The address to use for shipping is your normal address for packages; the system takes care of passing the package by the proper people along the way. Also note that the people approving the paperwork changed the species requested from just peppers to all allowed seeds. The permit is good for three years, so I'll likely use it a few more times before getting another.
Renais
I did get my permit via e-mail, along with labels that are suppose to be used.

Did you get labels? They are 4 to a page, must be printed in color, each label can be used only once with one label per package. I just put eligible taxa and no country specific, that way anything that comes in the isn't allowed, they will take out, but the rest will come through.

Just want to give some love here. I have had 100% germination on all seeds from Peter. Two orders arrived in exactly one week from ordering with no problems. Peter even sent a couple extra varieties that sound very interesting and look forward to trying them. I will be ordering from them again in the future.

Thank you to Semillas Seeds, and to Mr. Peter Merle! I received my seeds yesterday (March 11).

I ordered 6 varieties, and received 8 packets. There was such a considerate choice involved in the selection of the two gifts that it bears description: I'd emailed him about a month before ordering, professed my lack of experience with peppers, and explained what i sought in my choices of Capsicum chinense strains.
His reply was brief, precise, and told me all i needed to make my choices.

His first gift was a second packet of Aji Charapita... sounds odd, but it's perfect! This strain features such tiny seeds that a newbie (me) would have concerns for seedlings' survival. Trust me, it's EXACTLY the right gift.

About a day after i placed the order, i cursed myself for forgetting to order a strain that would nicely round out my sampling of the C. chinense genome...
... And his second gift, Aji Cachucha seeds, meets those needs perfectly!

Coincidence? Maybe. The man has a huge clientele, and this is a small order... i may never know. Christmas, it seems, falls in March on my calendar this year.

The packets i counted seem to have 11-12 seeds/packet. They were ordered February 19th, thus, took 3 weeks to travel halfway around the world -- aaaannnnd traverse our nation's postal system(!!). A respectable speed!!

Thank you.

I thought it was time I gave Semillas a review. I used to buy my seed from various UK based vendors, the cultivars offered being fairly typical. The quality was commonly poor, bad germination, impure cultivars, made up cultivars, unpredictable F1's etc.

In search of different cultivars I went looking for a new vendor and found a reference to Semillas on thechileman.org which to me seemed high praise. The selection alone was absolutely astounding, any cultivar I felt like trying Semillas seemed to have it. 100% germination, never got an accidental cross and payment and shipping was a breeze. I have been so pleased with the quality and service that I exclusively get my seed from Semillas. It feels so satisfying growing out a pod and having it be what I ordered. Truly Semillas is a serious professional.

I will however add one caveat to say Semillas is not perfect. The descriptions don't give a clear indication of just how hot a pod is. Some pods I know to be hot don't mention it at all where as others simply say "hot" or "very hot." This isn't a problem for me as I thoroughly research what I want before I make a purchase, looking at reviews online etc, but I will advise new buyers to not base a purchase on the Semillas decsription alone. In fairness I will add that this problem is not exclusive to Semillas and few vendors I have seen give thorough descriptions.

I doubt anyone will read this but it's just a +1 from me for Semillas. As I said I buy exclusively from Semillas and give a 10/10 ***** top rating. I regularly refer other to Semillas and am highly recommending it to you.

Ive ordered from Semillas before, like people before me said, germination rates were very good and peppers are as advertised. Shipping and prices are more than reasonable and the varieties available for purchase are just amazing!

and then we have this awesome glog where we can see how they grow their peppers, whats not to love?

semillas said:
I highly recommend that 

US customers should apply for a import permit (small lots of seeds)

It looks like USDA has changed there politics, because some of the recent orders have been confiscated
with the info: phytosanitary certificate missing.

If you have a import permit there is no need for phytos, just follow the procedure that USDA comunicates.

Original Text of USDA:
How to Apply for a Small Lots of Seed Permit: For fastest turn around time, apply on-line at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits .
Alternately, use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products. On the first line of section 3 of the application, enter “SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM”. Starting on the second line, list the seed species and countries from which you want to ship each species. If the list of species is long, you may enter “eligible taxa”. By using this option, you are accepting responsibility for determining the eligibility of the seeds. The Permit Unit cannot tell you if the species are eligible for importation if you do not list them. A permit is issued for taxa that are admissible with no restrictions beyond the port of entry inspection. If port of entry inspectors find prohibited or restricted seeds in your shipment, they will seize and destroy the ineligible kinds.
End of Text

All Capsicum species are eligible, so we will add the list of contents + a copy of your permit and the shipment should pass customs without any problems.

Peter
I followed your instructions and was able to get a permit without any problems. Thanks for the info.

Have to recommend Semillas La Palma. Have ordered from Peter twice now and both orders shipped incredibly fast. Did not receive extras in either instance, so don't expect them.

I'm growing out some Naga Vipers from him and out of all of my plants it is the best looking and healthiest. Pods look gnarly too.

Will definitely order a third time.

Immolated said:
Have to recommend Semillas La Palma. Have ordered from Peter twice now and both orders shipped incredibly fast. Did not receive extras in either instance, so don't expect them.

I'm growing out some Naga Vipers from him and out of all of my plants it is the best looking and healthiest. Pods look gnarly too.

Will definitely order a third time.
Did you use the permit?

I have ordered seeds from Semillas two times now and the order always comes quickly to my mailbox. The guy also answers emails very quickly, so i have nothing but positive things to say about this place. :dance:

Every plant i have grown out these seeds have been 100% pure and the germination rates have also been good.

Back