• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest September TD Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandatory salsa, YES. "Tex-Mex"...not so much. Tex-Mex is rather regional...and even though it's a favorite of mine...it's a bit undefined.

I would suggest a Latino inspired cuisine...Mexican, Guatemalan, Brazilian, Chilean, Spanish, Columbian...you get the idea. Being a Texan, like some of the other Texans...we take Tex-Mex personally, and gravitate toward the places and methods that fit our vision. It's going to be too muddy if we ask our friends across the drink to do Tex-Mex...their interpretation may be way off...but that's what Tex-Mex is...it's Mexican influence in your personal bubble.

So...I think if we're going to do a "Mex" theme...we need to embrace the width of Latino influences, and shy away from something as subjective as "Tex-Mex". This will allow gorgous basics...or inventive creations. The beauty of "Mexican" food, is it's visual appeal, followed by a taste to match.

Just my thoughts...but overall, I think SL outta pull the trigger on this one. She has earned the right to call the table.

Tex-Mex w/homemade salsa could work.

Tex-Mex w/homemade salsa could work.

Well sure it could...but what the hell does Tex-Mex mean to our friends Down Under?

My point is that Tex-Mex is so personal, someone may create the perfect dish, and each person will view it under their idea of what Tex-Mex is to THEM. I realize these TD's are subjective, and just for bragging rights. But, I say Latino inspired with a manditory salsa. Let's open this bad-boy up to Nu-Mex style, Texican, Mexican, some Central American...let people pull from styles they can get in touch with rather than limit it to something so regionally subjective.

I wasn't refuting your post I was suggesting Tex-Mex like the others. We all have a say, right? :)

I wasn't refuting your post I was suggesting Tex-Mex like the others. We all have a say, right? :)

Absolutely! I know you weren't "refuting" my post...I just didin't want to see our friends across the globe sectioned out due to a lack of hands-on experience with the "genre". I'd love Tex-Mex. I live on it. But what it means to me, is different than anyone else. And that might be part of the appeal to the challenge...how to embody Tex-Mex from all over the world. Tex-Mex is, at its core, nothing more than each person's personal take on a Latino dish. I'd like to see that. And I'm drunk.

There's nothing wrong with regional cooking all people have to do is research and do their best. We did Cajun. In my opinion specific is a little better than broad. Look at all the confusion over Asian. It worked but it needed votes, and definitions, and countries... and it was hectic. This needs to be simple.

There's nothing wrong with regional cooking all people have to do is research and do their best. We did Cajun. In my opinion specific is a little better than broad. Look at all the confusion over Asian. It worked but it needed votes, and definitions, and countries... and it was hectic. This needs to be simple.

Point well taken...I guess it's hard for me to envision what an Aussie sees as Tex-Mex. Just as I would be spinning on the heels of an Aussie BBQ challenge. I guess that's the allure of the challenge. Damn I need to go to bed...I've refilled twice since the last reply.

I'm starting to see the light of Tex Mex.
I have 3 big ass avocado trees that are about to blow their load all over my yard.

Should coincide with the throwdown!!!!

BOOM!!!! GUACAMOLE! IN YO' FACE!!!!!

mmmmmm...... avocado and mango.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
In my yard I have 3 trees of each, all over 50 years old. This place used to be a grove.
The mangoes are the best I've ever had!
The avocados are servicable. Homegrown has to count for something, right!!!

Too bad mango season is basically over. Avocadoes are just starting to fall. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back