• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shigshwa's Grow Log 2015-2016 (Hydro Grow of Carolina Reapers)

NOTE: Skip to the later pages to see my latest grow. Most of this is a log of my previous grows.

---------------------------------------------------------
I saw quite a lot of grow logs out here, which inspired me to make one myself. I thought that I could also use this as an opportunity to learn from the more experienced growers as well. A bit about me:

1. At this point in time, I'm 16, likely making me one of the younger growers here.
2. Although I like to mess with all things technology, I also like gardening as well
3. This is my first time growing peppers, so I'm hoping that everything goes well!

Now, onto the peppers.

The Story So far

297169_1851179259149_1830801093_1270494_678876191_n.jpg

The peppers, Bhut Jolokia on the right, Butch Ts on the left

312962_1874592724471_1830801093_1287184_631982975_n.jpg

The first sprout, and still my biggest!

380675_1881489016874_1830801093_1291001_1519892892_n.jpg

The peppers, day 3. Some of these were my friends, because he was on vacation. Can't believe they were this small!

313173_1902088171840_1830801093_1305430_723677430_n.jpg

A bit under 2 weeks old, when they were still under my now sold HPS bulb. My first sprout is the one in the big pot.

dsc00225uw.jpg

A bit after the last photo. Now that's growth!

dsc00239nh.jpg

Last image of them, days before being in the tent.

dsc00242zl.jpg

The new grow tent, next to my computer.

379523_1963207419783_1830801093_1331203_196171686_n.jpg

A bit under a month old, just a few days in the new grow tent. I will get a MH system soon...

dsc00241zd.jpg

Taken just now, 1 month 1 day old, few days after the last photo. The growth has EXPLODED ever since they were placed in the tent. The one in the very front is the Bhut, or so I believe, and the other 3 are the Butch Ts, one in the very back being my first sprout.

I just couldn't wait.. This one was incredibly small, and it doesn't seem to ripen.. This one is nearly 60 days old! My first pod.

dsc00318jp.jpg

Opened up..

dsc00319g.jpg

I licked it, and wow, I certainly can feel the burn! I'm not a crazy chillihead, but the feeling was pretty awesome for just a wee lick. I wish I had the courage to eat the whole thing..

Day 118, Week 16. The Bhut Jolokia is a very prolific plant. I count at least 50 pods on the plant! The Butch Ts are less prolific, but they still produce a fair amount, 20 or so.

dsc00320al.jpg

dsc00321uz.jpg

Check out the crazy pod variation. Pods that range from flat, fat tailed, bell shaped, long, and so on.

Also, I'm gonna start some new plants as well. In the front, 2 Giant Jalapenos, and in the back, 2 Trinidad Douglahs.
dsc00322mu.jpg

That is one of the most beautiful pictures ever, I am truthfully Inspire by this pictures You should also include the methods and fertilizers you use that way we all can be on the same track lol

That is one of the most beautiful pictures ever, I am truthfully Inspire by this pictures You should also include the methods and fertilizers you use that way we all can be on the same track lol

I've gotten kinda lazy about them, it's not as thrilling when everything is going so well, lol. I water them every day, check for new flowers, pollinate those flowers, and zip the tent back up. Fertilizing is only when the flowers aren't very fertile/the flower count drops down, but for the moment, my plants are blooming and setting pods faster than what I can track!.

I've gotten kinda lazy about them, it's not as thrilling when everything is going so well, lol. I water them every day, check for new flowers, pollinate those flowers, and zip the tent back up. Fertilizing is only when the flowers aren't very fertile/the flower count drops down, but for the moment, my plants are blooming and setting pods faster than what I can track!.

Wow! You water them every day! hmmm

Do you shake the plants or use a brush when you pollinate? I have a few buds on some of my plants so I will be getting there soon!

Do you shake the plants or use a brush when you pollinate? I have a few buds on some of my plants so I will be getting there soon!

Well, either the soil drains too well, or these plants are very thirsty all the time. I mean, I wouldn't blame them, they've got 50 plus pods to care for!

As for pollination, I've been using the electric toothbrush method. It's easier for me, since I don't have to reach into the plant to dab the pollen, and it works quite well. I can get big puffs of pollen out of the flowers like that. Lately though, my flowers have been less productive. I blame the new fert I tried from Aurora Innovations. 5-0-0.5 surely can't be good for blooms.

Well, either the soil drains too well, or these plants are very thirsty all the time. I mean, I wouldn't blame them, they've got 50 plus pods to care for!

As for pollination, I've been using the electric toothbrush method. It's easier for me, since I don't have to reach into the plant to dab the pollen, and it works quite well. I can get big puffs of pollen out of the flowers like that. Lately though, my flowers have been less productive. I blame the new fert I tried from Aurora Innovations. 5-0-0.5 surely can't be good for blooms.

ahhh I see cool! 5% N? If thats the case ya, a little high. My fert is a 3-7-3 1 part grow and bloom with 3% total N

ahhh I see cool! 5% N? If thats the case ya, a little high. My fert is a 3-7-3 1 part grow and bloom with 3% total N

Yeah, and they recommend a TBS per gallon for blooming. Yeah right, my plants were stressing out over just a half dose! I believe flower drop is caused by a high N ratio over P and K, but I could be wrong. I used it alone, and it seems to be an additive to a base nutrient solution.

Fertillizers get crazy complicated when you try to analyze every aspect of it. I think that the less you care about your plants, the angrier the peppers get!

Well Keep doing what your doing because its working, im still stun by the pictures but again this is my first season and my pepper plants are still seedlings

Well Keep doing what your doing because its working, im still stun by the pictures but again this is my first season and my pepper plants are still seedlings

Dont those chiles make your mouth water with anticipation?! :)

Yeah, and they recommend a TBS per gallon for blooming. Yeah right, my plants were stressing out over just a half dose! I believe flower drop is caused by a high N ratio over P and K, but I could be wrong. I used it alone, and it seems to be an additive to a base nutrient solution.

Fertillizers get crazy complicated when you try to analyze every aspect of it. I think that the less you care about your plants, the angrier the peppers get!

Yes, in fert/blossom drop its due to high N you are correct! There are other things that contribute to blossom drop as well besides fert. NPk

Dont those chiles make your mouth water with anticipation?! :)

Yes, in fert/blossom drop its due to high N you are correct! There are other things that contribute to blossom drop as well besides fert. NPk
Very nice plants and chiles! Awesome job! btw chiles are different when it comes to ferts esp. Chinese verieties. 1 tsp every other week should do it!

Oh, and also, I found out why the plant was drinking water so fast. It's the roots! I barely dug a centimeter into the soil, only to find HUNDREDS of tiny, fibrous roots everywhere! The Air-Pot knockoffs seem to be working very well in developing the root system!

Oh, and also, I found out why the plant was drinking water so fast. It's the roots! I barely dug a centimeter into the soil, only to find HUNDREDS of tiny, fibrous roots everywhere! The Air-Pot knockoffs seem to be working very well in developing the root system!

Hmmm sounds good do you have a link for them?

An Air-Pot. Fairly common around the forums. Its a pot with many holes on the sides. Promotes healthy root growth.

http://www.airpotgarden.com/

They are awsome, i started my seedlings in the small ones, than i got some 3 gallons on order and will be putting my brain strain in them when they get here (hopefuly friday), but i got some roots pictures of one in my grow log and they looked great i ahd thought.

You have a knack for growing the hots, shigshwas! The pics are just
awesome.

Day 130, week 18. First sign of ripening. Funny how it ripened on the side first. I notice that pods ripen from top to bottom usually. I suppose pods use gravity to figure out where's top and bottom!

dsc00334q.jpg

Nice Shig!!! :) I love your glog!!! btw I got my first flower today! I'm getting very excited for some tasty pods!!! :cheers: to our success!

Nice Shig!!! :) I love your glog!!! btw I got my first flower today! I'm getting very excited for some tasty pods!!! :cheers: to our success!

That's great! I've also trimmed the TS plant down about 3 inches, he was getting a bit too close to the lights... Atm, they've overgrown their pots, gotta move em up one final step before I can finally move them outside 2 months from now..

Also forgot to add, Giant Jalapeno has sprouted, it took 12 days to pop up. This one is for a friend.

431677_2434745727946_1830801093_1507066_1096584991_n.jpg

That's great! I've also trimmed the TS plant down about 3 inches, he was getting a bit too close to the lights... Atm, they've overgrown their pots, gotta move em up one final step before I can finally move them outside 2 months from now..

good idea! Dont want them to close to the lights. Whats size pots are they in now and what are you moving them up to?

good idea! Dont want them to close to the lights. Whats size pots are they in now and what are you moving them up to?

2 gallons, moving to 5.

Also, holy crap, this thing ripens so fast! The thing ripened like 40% more in less than a day!

dsc00336we.jpg

Back