• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Skullbikers 2019 Healthy Stuff Glog

Just a quick post about my last big(3 gal) batch of Kombucha. For the initial ferment I split it between 1 and 2 gal Anchor Hocking jars that I got at Walmart.
The 1 gal. jar, you can see the original SCOBY near the bottom and the new/current one floating on top.

75BC6B46-5934-4FE1-8ACE-39FDB0D1F62D.jpeg

The 2 gal. jar, both SBOBYs are near the top.

88AABD70-902E-471C-8D03-C22455D0D2A6.jpeg

I split the Kombucha into some 2 qt. jars with various fresh fruit in them to flavor it during the second short(3 or 4 days) ferment. Some Sweet Dark Cherry, Banana/Ginger, and Pomegranate flavors. Then had to save a quart for next batch starter and a quart into the Scoby Hotel.

And because you gain another new SCOBY in each container they tend to accumulate after a while, You can keep them in a SCOBY HOTEL for future use where they can be used in the next batch, or made into SCOBY JERKY, or even flavored SCOBY pet treats. They can even be used in the soil for potted plants as a type of probiotic fertilizer. An internet search will produce many possibilities.
The current SCOBY HOTEL that I am maintaining.

A59915B0-C376-49D9-B06E-6D9DB0F4F241.jpeg

Second ferment got filtered, bottled, and refrigerated yesterday. Five half gallon jars ready to split up.

5A78B3D5-A1D9-4749-B123-8ABE2E77BE87.jpeg

It took the color and the flavor out of the pomegranate.

F337955B-90EC-423A-A49B-1EFEA583CF4C.jpeg

They were getting enough pressure in them to start pushing the metal discs up. Probably would not have wanted to go another day.

3CF143AC-9228-4E87-87F1-BABED6685E7C.jpeg

Here they are all done, pomegranate to the right, peach/ginger in the middle, and dark black sweet cherry on the left. Nothing to waste, the recovered fruit will be used in a nice probiotic smoothies.

CA184DC9-B253-44FE-956A-459A2C7009A3.jpeg

DownRiver said:
Nicely done SB. How strongly did the fruit flavors come through in the end product?
The fruit flavor is there and noticeable, it seems to matter how much fruit is added. I have been adding the fruit as is up to now but I think I will buzz it in the blender before adding in the next batch. I think it will wring out a little more flavor and I always filter it before final bottling anyway.

Well, 14 days have gone by so I thought I would sample my Konan Kohlrabi Kimchee. I have to say, it was totally awsome. Slightly crunchy, perfect heat/spiciness, outstanding flavor. I hope I can recreate this again(I am not good at writing ingredient quantities down when I throw something together).

First sample is yummy.

D6CF27B6-E17B-4B9C-9037-5F9AC5D07CFB.jpeg

Made up 12 pint jars.

AA0526E5-C13D-478B-921E-7BFE05CCD5D5.jpeg

What count plastic canvas you reckon would be good for sprouting alfalfa seeds? They are about 1-2mm in size. The 14 count should be good, right?

Well, my wife brought home 300 grams of alfalfa seeds for me (this comes out to between 130-135 thousand seeds). Completely filling an 8x10 sheet at 14 count, that would be about 15-16 thousand seeds! That would be enough to do 8-9 sheets full, at a cost of just a hair over 1 euro per sheet - not bad.

podz said:
What count plastic canvas you reckon would be good for sprouting alfalfa seeds? They are about 1-2mm in size. The 14 count should be good, right?

Well, my wife brought home 300 grams of alfalfa seeds for me (this comes out to between 130-135 thousand seeds). Completely filling an 8x10 sheet at 14 count, that would be about 15-16 thousand seeds! That would be enough to do 8-9 sheets full, at a cost of just a hair over 1 euro per sheet - not bad.

Yes, 14 count is what I use for the smaller seeds.

skullbiker said:
Yes, 14 count is what I use for the smaller seeds.

They don't appear to sell these anywhere in Finland and I am unable to find any Amazon sellers who will ship to Finland. Damned globalisation.

Based on this Glog, though, I did decide to purchase a Hurom slow juicer which is capable of doing wheat grass. As soon as I find a reasonable way to grow some, I'll be giving it a try.

skullbiker said:
Well, 14 days have gone by so I thought I would sample my Konan Kohlrabi Kimchee. I have to say, it was totally awsome. Slightly crunchy, perfect heat/spiciness, outstanding flavor. I hope I can recreate this again(I am not good at writing ingredient quantities down when I throw something together).

First sample is yummy.

attachicon.gif
D6CF27B6-E17B-4B9C-9037-5F9AC5D07CFB.jpeg

Made up 12 pint jars.

attachicon.gif
AA0526E5-C13D-478B-921E-7BFE05CCD5D5.jpeg

I'd be interested in that recipe when you are able to retrace your steps SB.

OK, the move is done and its time to start posting to the good old Healthy Stuff Glog. The current good news is that my SCOBY Hotel made the 1650 mile move, I had removed about half of the Scobys and mixed a new batch of feeder juice. I hauled it on the floor of the Uhaul truck in a coleman lunchbox cooler(mostly just in case it sloshed out or spilled). Here it is now with a nice new fat SCOBY floating on top. Now, as soon as I find the box with my Black Tea and Turbinado Sugar I will make a new 2 or 3 gallon batch of Kombucha. Then I have to find my bottles to put it in(I ended up with a LOT of unmarked moving boxes).

92A0A495-E608-4282-966D-F02BDE512E2B.jpeg

Time to try and get this thread back on the road. I finally found my Black Tea and Turbinado sugar, also had to find my big SS stock pot, my gallon and 2 gallon jars, and the necessary utensils. I did it on my hot plate in the screen porch to keep the heat out of the house while it is still quite warm out. Making a three gallon batch so should have at least 2 gallons for consumption and the rest will replenish the SCOBY hotel and a little for starter if I need it. Now I have a week to find bottles and jars to put it in for the second ferment with the different flavorings.

On a side note, I found my wheat grass seed..............now I need to find that masticating juicer.(its in one of many, many boxes)

Time to really get on the healthy wagon so I took the money I was saving for a different car and splurged on a super duper twin gear masticating juicer.(the car can wait, I hardly ever drive anwhere anyways) 
The juicer is a Tribest Greenstar Pro model GS-P502B. It has full length stainless steel juicing gears and it is a beast.

BB516567-7F02-4124-9754-3F3A43D14C59.jpeg

902174B4-D2C7-4006-AE2C-3B848C75D3C2.jpeg

29147C7A-B5DF-44EE-BE31-3126DDA7E0B9.jpeg

The first batch I did consisted of cucumbers, carrots, celery, romaine lettuce, spinach, and a couple of Golden Delicious apples.

EA0BD680-4CA4-43F8-A459-540ABD32BC90.jpeg

And I ended up with a gallon of juice and a bowl of pretty darned dry pulp(the pulp will be frozen and used in soup or something.

F29BF1AC-619E-415E-AE87-A1B5C213E445.jpeg

The second batch is just a bit different, carrots, beets, cabbage, and Jalapenos.

3D83C141-253A-45CD-AA47-8CA6E5E4CCE6.jpeg

No pic but I ended up with about a half gallon of juice and another bowl of pulp. Vacuum sealed them and put them in the refridgerator. It should be enough for a week or 10 days or so.
 tomorrow I will check my Kombucha and see if it is ready for second ferment(flavoring).

PtMD989 said:
That machine looks heavy duty [emoji106]. Looks like you could juice your fingers without it even slowing down. [emoji15]

Its about as heavy duty as a home use one can get. They have all the good saftey features built in so you should not be able to juice your fingers(does not run with the hood off and you would have to have super long fingers to reach the gears through the chute). That being said.................If you chopped off your fingers and threw them in it would juice them without missing a beat, you would have pretty clear blood in the cup and flesh/bone sawdust like pulp out the end!

Looks delicious SB!

Can you explain a little bit on how to do the second stage ferment to flavor? I've made kombucha, but haven't tried to flavor it before. I like it plain, but flavored sounds like a whole new ballgame.

DownRiver said:
Looks delicious SB!

Can you explain a little bit on how to do the second stage ferment to flavor? I've made kombucha, but haven't tried to flavor it before. I like it plain, but flavored sounds like a whole new ballgame.
To do second stage flavoring I use something that seals tight(that allows a small amount of infused carbonation). Just put a layer of fruit on the bottom of the container(i usually smash mine to get the best flavor out of it), then pour in your kombucha with about 1/2” head space on jars,on bottles I try to leave approx. half of the neck. Then put them in a dark place for 3 or more days. I have gone as long as a week,I am sure it depends a lot on temperature like any other ferment. I usually move them to the refrigerator (that will more or less stop the fermentation)when the covers on the jars are bulged up a little——Do not push it to long as they say the container could burst, I have never had that happen but have had the metal lids permanently distorted, I usually put them in a cake pan or cookie sheet with sides just in case! You can add in almost any flavor, my wife has me add ginger into hers. Just experiment a little and have fun with it.

Back