• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKERS Fun with peppers in 2021 GLOG

And so it begins, another year of growing some peppers. This will be a sort of continuation of last year

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73129-skullbikers-roaring-into-the-twenties-glog/page-1

as several of those plants are still going(and many got whacked and ended up on the burn pile). 

Anyway, I have 3 trays of peppers sown and many have germinated already(mostly annums). I wanted to compare several different jalapeños for taste in real time. This tray is all jalapeños, ten types from 7 different vendors. The seeds in block 3 are from 2014.

DD790B1D-46C2-42E6-821B-35E0A56AED83.jpeg

Another tray with annums at each end and mostly rocotos in the middle(and they're taking their sweet time).

DFD905E8-004B-41CA-9450-5D6CC853DA56.jpeg

Things are happening rapidly in the ol' peppa patch these days, because........FLORIDA!
Time for a bit of Jalapeno love.

Chichimeca Jalapenos

026CC646-C268-4EF4-AF3F-D39E815A2C19.jpeg

Numex Jalapeno Orange Spice

B4547CAB-6DCA-4673-898C-363996195660.jpeg

AND Biker Billy Jalapenos
Oops, gues not........the seed pack said that's what they should be, but they are not. Luckily they are an excellent LARGE Cherry Bomb Pepper.

BA77D5A8-14F5-4546-A1D1-0DEF4B710736.jpeg

Off to the Florida State Fair tomorrow, fun and fair food.

I picked a few of the ripe peppers late yesterday.

Scarlett's Chili X Poblano F2

FA57589C-F32F-434D-9D74-B7AD724B0A55.jpeg

Next are Cherry Bombs, the first three rows are the "Not" Biker Billy ones as I'll refer to from now on as "Billy Bombs", the next row of four are from my saved 2018 seed, and the bottom 2 are Time Bombs.

AF024572-B2C6-4AB3-BAFC-062E9FD219EE.jpeg

Here are three way off pheno Beaver Dam peppers.

A419E86B-0393-42B6-93F4-4814B9852FD8.jpeg

And finally the first of the Jalapeno Orange Spice and Lemon Spice peppers.

Attachments

• E21E0CED-D1C2-41EC-9F60-7A76830A13D5.jpeg
    E21E0CED-D1C2-41EC-9F60-7A76830A13D5.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 76
PaulG said:
Your OS and LS look awesome. Great color!
I hope my OS do as well.
You're plants will probably do fine. Having said that, My personal opinion is that the "spice" variety of jalapenos are flakey as hell. The ones that grow well do very well and the poor growing and goofy ones just don't. I just had one that was looking awesome and two days later, dead as a stick. This happened on one last year also.

skullbiker said:
You're plants will probably do fine. Having said that, My personal opinion is that the "spice" variety of jalapenos are flakey as hell. The ones that grow well do very well and the poor growing and goofy ones just don't. I just had one that was looking awesome and two days later, dead as a stick. This happened on one last year also.
Right. Both of my OS have wonky growth habits
like fused stems, but are vigorous and healthy.
Last year’s grow was a bust for my jalapeños, so
am really hoping some of your success rubs off on me!

I just picked a few bell peppers for tonights meal(stuffed) and a couple for the cabbage soup I'm going to make. 
Big Bertha on the left, Stuff Enuff on the right.

A4A846D7-D03E-4B6F-9972-8B5E26AC56DA.jpeg

Note and Newsflash, the middle pepper on the right had significant heat in the ribs. Not a man-killer but after sampling a piece my tongue and lips were tingling for about 20 minutes.  I only got to save a few seeds because most had been thrown into the scrap pile already.

skullbiker said:

PaulG said:
Right. Both of my OS have wonky growth habits
like fused stems, but are vigorous and healthy.
Last year’s grow was a bust for my jalapeños, so
am really hoping some of your success rubs off on me!
Have either of you guys noticed pods on OS and LS and just straight up go from green to yellow and rotten almost instantly? I really don't know why I'm still keeping mine, but out of probably 40 peppers that have grown, I've had 1 OS and 2 LS that I've managed to catch ripe. Literally in a 10 hour span from leaving to work and coming home, I've seen pods be firm as a rock green, and then mushy yellow saggy sad little things. the one LS I've tried has been pretty damn tasty for a little Jalapeno, almost like a sweet salad pepper. Have like 30 still on all of my plants that have had mutated growth habits. Even the ones that were not topped refuse to grow over 12" in height.

The ones I kept with normal looking growth, as well as the ones I gifted to a friend, have all just randomly died at the first sign of a day over 80*. 

Demented said:

Have either of you guys noticed pods on OS and LS and just straight up go from green to yellow and rotten almost instantly? I really don't know why I'm still keeping mine, but out of probably 40 peppers that have grown, I've had 1 OS and 2 LS that I've managed to catch ripe. Literally in a 10 hour span from leaving to work and coming home, I've seen pods be firm as a rock green, and then mushy yellow saggy sad little things. the one LS I've tried has been pretty damn tasty for a little Jalapeno, almost like a sweet salad pepper. Have like 30 still on all of my plants that have had mutated growth habits. Even the ones that were not topped refuse to grow over 12" in height.

The ones I kept with normal looking growth, as well as the ones I gifted to a friend, have all just randomly died at the first sign of a day over 80*. 
That doesn’t sound right, does it?
I hope you can get a handle on that.
I haven’t seen any buzz about that 
particular issue on any grow threads,
just the wonky growth stuff.

PaulG said:
That doesn’t sound right, does it?
I hope you can get a handle on that.
I haven’t seen any buzz about that 
particular issue on any grow threads,
just the wonky growth stuff.
I'm honestly not too worried. The odd rapid transition from green to yellow/orange rotten were the plants with bell shaped leaves and all other sorts of issues and only kept them to see what the mutants would do. 

Back