• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Smart Pots?

they look similar to the bags you buy trees in from nurserys. I've never used one for growing but if they have handles on them to make moving easy I suppose they'd be fine - provided they're not that porous that they dry out too fast.

Worth a trial,Have seen a number of garden centers using them this year with large plants,Definetly worth a trial :shocked:

talas said:
Worth a trial

Yea I was thinking the same thing. If they worked just as well as plastic it would be nice because at the end of the season I could pour the dirt out, stick the bag/pot in the sun to dry out, then shake/gently beat the remaining dirt out, and then fold them up. It would be a nice space saver. I may have to give a few 10 gallon ones a go.

Thanks for this thread Josh. I've been reading everything I can about them.
I think they can be used by bonsai growers to keep the roots from growing too long. I think just lining the pots with landscape fabric will make them grow better too.
Here is a shot of the one I made.
graphi1638.jpg

After seeing that it dries out too fast with my soil, I decided to wrap it in plastic. It should still cause an increase in the amount of shorter, well branched roots.
graphi1636.jpg

I have 3 Bhut seeds in there, and it's wick watering. I water from the top too to keep a moist surface.

ABurningMouth said:
Thanks for this thread Josh. I've been reading everything I can about them.
I think they can be used by bonsai growers to keep the roots from growing too long. I think just lining the pots with landscape fabric will make them grow better too.
Here is a shot of the one I made.

Looks pretty good. Yea I was concerned about them drying out as well. Keep me updated on how things go in terms of watering and let me know how the root balls turn out when the time comes.

Thanks,
Josh

ABurningMouth said:
Now this pic has me thinking bigtime. It seems pretty clear the style of fabric they are using and it's readily available in all garden centers. I've been trying to come up with a cheap way of planting in containers in the spring.

If these bags work, why couldn't you mimic the effect, even by doubling up by buying a huge roll of landscape fabric and making a few 4-5gal molds? hell, staple in rings around the top for easy transport.

Still, they're $6 for a 5gal on that site. Not a total ripoff really. I was just going to use spackle buckets myself.

This had me thinking and distracted for days trying to come up with new styles and procedures for making one. The ring idea is a good one.
I stapled the bottom on the outside, then turned it inside-out, and added a few more staples to fix some holes.
I think the real thing is made with a thicker material, but doubling would might save water and make it sturdier.
Not a total ripoff? Ok... I would like to buy a couple to see how they're made though.
I'm no expert, but I found that this stuff, although it's stiffer and holds is shape well, shouldn't be cut in an enclosed space. I still feel like I have parts of it in my lungs. And it made a mess.
graphi1671s.jpg

ABurningMouth said:
Josh,
They allow denser soil to be used. Like garden soil or that cheap stuff in bags at the store that no one will buy.

Hmm that would be helpful in saving money there. I guess you could cut pretty good potting soil with garden soil and save some dough. I haven't bought any yet but I think I am going to buy a couple to try them out next summer.

The pictures of roots growing outside the pot don't look good to me. Seems like you would have to put it in another larger pot. Unless the resulting plants are a lot better with these smart pots, I think I'll just stick with plastic.

Back