• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SoCalChilehead 2012/2013 grow log

This will be my first grow list/grow log, so hopefully everybody enjoys. This November will be my first complete year of growing experience and it was entertaining and stressing at the same time. This season hopefully I can implement everything I have learned through various threads and have a great 2012 season
onfire.gif
. I will start everything from seeds and maybe keep three plants from my existing season. Well now to my list:
Red Trinidad Scorpion 1
Trinidad Scorpion Green 3
Trinidad Scorpion yellow 1
Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion (2 or 4 hopefully)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 2
7 pot Chaguanas 2
7 pot Brainstrain red 1
7 pot Brainstrain yellow 1
7 pot Jonah 1
7 pot yellow 1
7 pot Burgundy 1
7 pot Brown 1
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia 1
Bhut Jolokia Peach 2
Bhut Jolokia Red 1
Bhut Jolokia yellow 1
Black Naga 1
Fatalii yellow 2
Peach Scorpanero 1
Large White Habanero 1
Congo Habanero 1
Sweet Habanero 1
Habanero Red Savina 1
Thai Dragon 1
Assam 1
Wasp 1
Large Hot Cherry 1
Giant Jalapeno 1
Wild Brazil 1
Holy Mole 1
Cayenne Thick 1
Broome Chile 1
Tobango Scotch Bonnet 1
Naga Morich 1
Zavory Nabanero 1
Aji Joe Mystery Hot Mix from Indian (1), Baccatum (1), Hot (1)

Thanks again to all the members for their help on the vast of information found on the THP forum and ability to build my grow list.

No worries about the photos, the intent shines through! Looks like some gnarly poddage!
Thanks Matt some are starting to looking dangerous, but not at the level of some of your pods. I can not wait to see these pods progress the Peach Bhut are starting to pod up so that is one I want to try this year base on the review Beaglestorm gave a while back.
Great update, Fernando! Next time you can bring your machete too go through that jungle :D Mystery Superhot AjiJoe looks to be a Habanero variety, did you harvest from it yet?
Thanks StefanI got it ready for next time lol. Thanks for the heads up can not wait to try, but no I have not harvested anything from that plant they were late bloomers and have loaded up in flowers.
Holy green buddy! Shit's lookin nice!
Thanks Jamison hopefully I can keep it like this through the heat .
Nice greenhouse. Looks like some little guys in the corner. Peppers everywhere. You must not be far from the airport. Could hear planes in the background.
Thanks Brent yeah the baby one will be an amazing and painful surprise. Hopefully I can start pulling in baskets full of peppers soon. Lol yea LAX is about 15 mins from my house so the planes fly low over my house you can see the logo perfectly and underside.

I liked the videos Fernando... you've got some really gnarly pods going there. Keep up the good work bro'
Thanks Rick yea if you ever decide to taste and grow superhots let me know I will set a box up for you.

Thanks everyone for stopping by, but most importantly I want to thank everyone that has traded, sold, and just educated me on pepper from previous post http://thehotpepper.com/topic/7619-should-we-have-a-fun-2009-grow-contest/page__hl__%20fatalii%20%20challenge and there was a fatalii and 7 pot competition that everyone should check out.

Hello everyone before I start update pics I just want to thank three people that made the last two mail days just amazing first I want to thank Rick sent four peppers with three packs of seeds. I have not ate the whole pod just a little bit to taste it was similar to a bell pepper nice fresh pepper flavor I will eat the whole thing later today and get the overall taste and flavor. Next is Matt well you can see I was speechless when I open the box it literally pack the box with awesomeness. I have yet to try any I was to entertain looking at each pepper the first pepper to be attacked will be the red cheiro then work my way from there. Next is Judy (Pepperlover.com) I did not request anything, but found this in the mail great variety of peppers from her and I can not wait to make my next purchase from her just an amazing person. As always thanks to the members that have and continue to help me with everything.
Now what everybody like update pics.
Rick:

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0797.jpg

Matt:
DSCN0802.jpg

Judy (pepperlover.com):
DSCN0799.jpg

Now my garden as you can see the pimenta de neyde has almost reached the ceiling probably half a foot away
DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0793.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

The adopted seeds from Jamie
DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

more to continue

Looking good! Funny how tall the pimenta da neydes grow. Mine aren't producing a whole lot. I finally picked one of them. I didn't taste it because I ate a TS butch T. and that nuked my mouth, lol. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.

dude.. that kicks arse... btw.. like i asked 3/5 king.. how do u manage to get to the other plants?// how will you harvest the pods..... awesome work... i wish it would rain though!!!

Denniz

I/m lovin' the picture updates Fernando. You're doing more in a small space than most people do with a garden four times the size. Looking forward to your impression of the Koreans. Cheers!

Thank Brent pods are starting to pile up
Lol thanks Shane
Looking good! Funny how tall the pimenta da neydes grow. Mine aren't producing a whole lot. I finally picked one of them. I didn't taste it because I ate a TS butch T. and that nuked my mouth, lol. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.
Yea Dulac I was wondering why it was growing so tall and no flowers I thought it had too much Nitrogen until I noticed buds forming let me know how it tasted and at what point you recommend to harvest. The Butch T will do that.
Thanks for stopping by
dude.. that kicks arse... btw.. like i asked 3/5 king.. how do u manage to get to the other plants?// how will you harvest the pods..... awesome work... i wish it would rain though!!!

Denniz
Thanks Dennis I have made some space to get to them and since my plants are in containers it is easy to move around when I need to. Once I start seeing color they will become easy to detect harvesting should be easy. I been good without the rain plants seem to be thriving and even podding up more with the shade cloth.

I/m lovin' the picture updates Fernando. You're doing more in a small space than most people do with a garden four times the size. Looking forward to your impression of the Koreans. Cheers!
Thanks Rick next year should be more interesting I think, but I am done doing pictures going to switch over to video because I am to lazy to figure out the setting on the camera it was suppose to be a snap and shoot, but I am prefering now just the video. I am going to try the Korean later tonight and let you know what I think.

Matt Thanks again for the pods
Yesterday
White bullet hab I did not get alot of flavor, but a good sting abound the lips and tongue. I see this pepper more to compliment food rather than using it for a sauce or powder. I think it would be great for a fresh salsa or ceviche.
Today
Red Cheiro I really got excited about this pod after seeing Matt eat it. The burn was instantly for me (lost focus on the flavor) that also cause me to salivate this pod pulls jerkyll and mr.hyde. This is great add for next year.

Later today I will try the pods Rick sent

Well I did not enjoy see the pictures so I am switching to video this is an update of what everything looks like the Jonah is so far the gnarliest looking pods. Well here we go.
Hope you enjoy and comments and questions post away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhX7IWG3IIg&feature=youtu.be

You might be surprised by how hot those gochus are. I ate one today that gave me a good burn for about 10 minutes and the hiccups for about a minute and a half..

Yea Dulac I was wondering why it was growing so tall and no flowers I thought it had too much Nitrogen until I noticed buds forming let me know how it tasted and at what point you recommend to harvest. The Butch T will do that.
Thanks for stopping by

No problem. I'm not sure if I harvested mine at the right time. I'm not good at describing how food tastes (really wish I was!). All my chiles have been extra hot this year (think the heatwave stressed them). It was around 110 with the index here for some time. That butch T. was nuts, lol. I'm also suprised by the heat my bih jolokias have been packing. They have a lot of oil inside (and boy is it hot).

With that said, the heat of the pimenta da neyde I picked is about as hot as a cayenne. Maybe a little hotter. The heat was confined to my tongue (my favorite place).The aroma after cutting it was pleasant and unique. I thought the taste was very unique too. It had a fresh taste with a light c. chinese flavor (closer to a hab than naga). I never had a purple pepper before, so perhaps the "fresh" flavor is from that. I think it taste like a blend of c. annum and c. chinese. It didn't taste green or sweet at all. You will have to let me know how they tasted to you. They tasted better than I thought they would (I was growing them for crossing).

I think we need to figure out how to breed these guys to be better producers (I could be jumping the gun since I planted mine later than some other plants). I'd love to try a sauce with them! I only got two peppers so far. I like them, but the production has been terrible. It'd be nice if they grew more bushy than so tall too, lol. I planned on crossing them with bih jolokias. That will increase production! That will take a long time though (think I'll try to get a couple of strains out of that). Let me know if yours start producing a lot. I could be mistaken.

Hi Fernando
I had your orange "Aji Joe Mystery Pod" in a cheese and herb omelette this morning. It tasted good... not particularly sharp or peppery. The heat was about like my Serranos. Very evident but not overwhelming. I'm saving the best for last, and will eat it this weekend. Cheers!

You might be surprised by how hot those gochus are. I ate one today that gave me a good burn for about 10 minutes and the hiccups for about a minute and a half..
Hi Fernando
I had your orange "Aji Joe Mystery Pod" in a cheese and herb omelette this morning. It tasted good... not particularly sharp or peppery. The heat was about like my Serranos. Very evident but not overwhelming. I'm saving the best for last, and will eat it this weekend. Cheers!
The gochu burn was not bad for me it was like a pinch of heat that lasted about 2 or 3 mins very enjoyable fresh of the stem. I don't think I sent an orange pod the Aji Joe Mystery pods were the very small red pods did they turn orange that is interesting if they did. Yup that is what I thought about the pepper as well something like the thai dragon I grew this year and gave away. Lol is the 7 pod Chaguanes the last one hope you enjoy make go with little pieces at first because the whole will burn I silenced one the placenta was thick. Good luck my friend.
No problem. I'm not sure if I harvested mine at the right time. I'm not good at describing how food tastes (really wish I was!). All my chiles have been extra hot this year (think the heatwave stressed them). It was around 110 with the index here for some time. That butch T. was nuts, lol. I'm also suprised by the heat my bih jolokias have been packing. They have a lot of oil inside (and boy is it hot).

With that said, the heat of the pimenta da neyde I picked is about as hot as a cayenne. Maybe a little hotter. The heat was confined to my tongue (my favorite place).The aroma after cutting it was pleasant and unique. I thought the taste was very unique too. It had a fresh taste with a light c. chinese flavor (closer to a hab than naga). I never had a purple pepper before, so perhaps the "fresh" flavor is from that. I think it taste like a blend of c. annum and c. chinese. It didn't taste green or sweet at all. You will have to let me know how they tasted to you. They tasted better than I thought they would (I was growing them for crossing).

I think we need to figure out how to breed these guys to be better producers (I could be jumping the gun since I planted mine later than some other plants). I'd love to try a sauce with them! I only got two peppers so far. I like them, but the production has been terrible. It'd be nice if they grew more bushy than so tall too, lol. I planned on crossing them with bih jolokias. That will increase production! That will take a long time though (think I'll try to get a couple of strains out of that). Let me know if yours start producing a lot. I could be mistaken.
When pods turn from low heat to stupid heat my mind pays less attention to the flavor and more to the heat. The pimenta de neyde is suppose to have a sweet flavor with a nice heat not over the top. This my first growing them and they were my late starts probably march after I got them in a trade. What I was going to do is let one ripen until wrinkling and the other to the point before wrinkling then see if I taste a difference in heat and flavor. Last time I counted my planted had about 20 pods and flowers and buds loading up. This plant was going to also be part of my cross breeding project.
Great update again, Fernando. The pods are getting a descent size, won't be long before you can start too harvest them :dance:
Thanks Stefan the douglah pods are starting to get big and really twisted, but the jonah take it by far in the best looking pod in the sanctuary.
Thanks again everyone for stopping by

The gochu burn was not bad for me it was like a pinch of heat that lasted about 2 or 3 mins very enjoyable fresh of the stem. I don't think I sent an orange pod the Aji Joe Mystery pods were the very small red pods did they turn orange that is interesting if they did. Yup that is what I thought about the pepper as well something like the thai dragon I grew this year and gave away. Lol is the 7 pod Chaguanes the last one hope you enjoy make go with little pieces at first because the whole will burn I silenced one the placenta was thick. Good luck my friend.
That's right... it's the 7 pot Chaguanes, I couldn't remember the name of it. My plan is to make jerk chicken and grill it tomorrow. I'll try a sliver of it before I make the marinade and let you know my reaction. Thanks!

Back