• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SoCalChilehead 2012/2013 grow log

This will be my first grow list/grow log, so hopefully everybody enjoys. This November will be my first complete year of growing experience and it was entertaining and stressing at the same time. This season hopefully I can implement everything I have learned through various threads and have a great 2012 season
onfire.gif
. I will start everything from seeds and maybe keep three plants from my existing season. Well now to my list:
Red Trinidad Scorpion 1
Trinidad Scorpion Green 3
Trinidad Scorpion yellow 1
Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion (2 or 4 hopefully)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 2
7 pot Chaguanas 2
7 pot Brainstrain red 1
7 pot Brainstrain yellow 1
7 pot Jonah 1
7 pot yellow 1
7 pot Burgundy 1
7 pot Brown 1
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia 1
Bhut Jolokia Peach 2
Bhut Jolokia Red 1
Bhut Jolokia yellow 1
Black Naga 1
Fatalii yellow 2
Peach Scorpanero 1
Large White Habanero 1
Congo Habanero 1
Sweet Habanero 1
Habanero Red Savina 1
Thai Dragon 1
Assam 1
Wasp 1
Large Hot Cherry 1
Giant Jalapeno 1
Wild Brazil 1
Holy Mole 1
Cayenne Thick 1
Broome Chile 1
Tobango Scotch Bonnet 1
Naga Morich 1
Zavory Nabanero 1
Aji Joe Mystery Hot Mix from Indian (1), Baccatum (1), Hot (1)

Thanks again to all the members for their help on the vast of information found on the THP forum and ability to build my grow list.

Lovin' the pics Fernando. If I had more space to plant I'd put in tomatillos too. Fortunately, they're easy to find at a local supermarket that always has fresh eggplant, okra, scallions and herbs. Cheers

Great pictures! Lots of healthy plants there. You'll be swimming in ripe pods in no time!

That Wild Brazil is amazing. Does that one ripen red, or yellow? Also, those thick cayennes look more like a stretched out jalapeno than they do a traditional cayenne. How do they compare heat wise with the regular skinny cayennes?

Thank you Highalt
The wild brazil came from AjiJoe and it is my first year growing them, but I think it is yellow not to sure there are a ton of flowers last and pods yet next week hopefully I can start seeing some pods. These cayennes are very sweet and the heat level is bearable to enjoy fresh while in the garden I have never ate a fresh traditional cayenne, so I am sorry I can not provide with a comparison. Shane did a awesome job on the review for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2dpUXXC4Nw4 or can check out http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27268-stc3248-just-another-grow-log-new-pod-video/page__pid__614454__st__640#entry614454
Good stuff Fernando! They look delicious! Love you trying to show the flower with the ladybug in the background!
Thanks Shane I didn't even realize there was a ladybug there until I was uploading the pictures.
Lovin' the pics Fernando. If I had more space to plant I'd put in tomatillos too. Fortunately, they're easy to find at a local supermarket that always has fresh eggplant, okra, scallions and herbs. Cheers
Hey Rick thanks for checking my glog out. Yea I understand the only common tomatillos here are the green one that why I decided to grow the purple version.

Thanks everyone for checking it out and more pics
Thai Dragon
DSCN0406.jpg

7 pod Burgundy plant and flowers some are starting to lose their pedals so hopefully I start to see pods soon
DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0408.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

Holy Mole flower and pod
DSCN0411.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

Another Mystery flower and pod
DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

Sweet Banana flower
DSCN0416.jpg

7 pod Jonah
DSCN0417.jpg

Thanks for the info on those peppers!

I've grown several that look very similar to your mystery pepper - Purple Jalapeno, Black Hungarian, and Czechoslovakian Black. Any chance it could be one of those?

I am not sure it was part of the mystery offer AjiJoe offered a while back hopefully is a purple jalapeno would to try those thank you for providing my with some help on identifying these plants.
last pics of the day.
Pimenta De Neyde
DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

Red rocoto
DSCN0421.jpg

Last indoor plants for the year
DSCN0423.jpg

Now tomatoes
O got to harvest some more chadwick cherry tomatoes yesterday sorry I didn't pics, but they kinda didn't make it to the door before they were finished glad to say they had to no chance either way.
Lemon Boy from HD
DSCN0418.jpg

Great White tomato (babies)
DSCN0424.jpg

Everything is looking pretty amazing! You are a better man than me. I would be dieing to know what those mystery pods were...I CAN'T TAKE IT MAN! :lol:

But I am pulling for those purple Jals that would definitely be a cool addition. Although, I really love those Pimenta de Neydes. I had never really looked into them when I was making my seed list, but next time they will definitely be on it, such a great looking plant!

Matt

I think doing the videos in my daughter's pink bedroom really makes them pop! :rofl: Thanks again for that pod man! Wish I had taken a look inside that thing before I ate it. Maybe you can post a few pics of one cut up? That was the sweetest pepper I have ever eaten...

Your plants look absolutely amazing...so wanted to grow Pimenta De Neyde but ran out of room. That one is on my list of new varieties to try next year...along with your Cayenne Thick!

Have a good week brother!
Shane

Everything is looking pretty amazing! You are a better man than me. I would be dieing to know what those mystery pods were...I CAN'T TAKE IT MAN! :lol:

But I am pulling for those purple Jals that would definitely be a cool addition. Although, I really love those Pimenta de Neydes. I had never really looked into them when I was making my seed list, but next time they will definitely be on it, such a great looking plant!

Matt
Thanks Matt the pimenta de neyde was on my must list for this year I was lucky enough to get them in a trade with Orangehero along with the Not 7 pod red that looks crazy, but I remember Omri discussing the flavor and heat of the pimenta de neyde and looked further into with the different possibilities of cross breeding them with other varieties.
I think doing the videos in my daughter's pink bedroom really makes them pop! :rofl: Thanks again for that pod man! Wish I had taken a look inside that thing before I ate it. Maybe you can post a few pics of one cut up? That was the sweetest pepper I have ever eaten...

Your plants look absolutely amazing...so wanted to grow Pimenta De Neyde but ran out of room. That one is on my list of new varieties to try next year...along with your Cayenne Thick!

Have a good week brother!
Shane
Thanks Shane once I get some pods going I will send you and Matt a few. While I thought I was full with my list before obtaining these I knew I had to make room or I would be pissed off missing out I will grow one in 5 gallon nursery pot and the other in a 5 gallon root pouch.

Thanks again everyone for stopping by and providing a comment or just looking and I hope everyone is enjoying their season as much as I am.

I'm 99% sure that mistery pepper is Purple Jalapeno.
As I recall, hungarian black peppers have a slightly bigger pods, my friend was growing them last year, he gave me a few.

I grow Purple Jalapenos last season, they had exactly the same flower and pod shape and size.
Fantastic color. They were purple for a month and a half, only to change color to dark red in just two days! That's when they are fully ripe.

Great blog and beautiful pods, glad that you are enjoying your season :)

Your plants are really happy. You are all dialed in. :dance:
I don't think that mystery is a purple Jal. Here is a pic of mine from a couple years ago. Sadly it died over the winter. It had no heat so I kind of let it go. But is was a beautiful plant.

photo-3.jpg

My pods were almost a balck purple where yours seem almost striped.
But there are many varieties of purple jals. I am curious to see if yours have any heat. If so I demand some seeds ;)

Plants are looking great Fernando, should be a great season for you! We will definitely have to trade some pods later this season, keep up the good work!! ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies sadly it is not purple Jalapeno, which would have been awesome to try I am still satisfied with whatever I end getting. That it for my rambling well I decide to take a quick walk through to check everything was ok and found a few awesome gifts.
7 pod Burgundy (baby) there are few similar to this one forming
DSCN0426.jpg

Green Trinidad Scorpion :dance:
DSCN0434.jpg

Sweet Banana
DSCN0427.jpg

Mystery pod (White flower with Purple edges)
DSCN0433.jpg

Cayenne Thick
DSCN0432.jpg

Wild Brazil (load with flowers that are starting to skirt)
DSCN0428.jpg

Holy Mole pods and flowers
DSCN0435.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

Mystery pod (Purple Flower)
DSCN0431.jpg

Thai Dragon with a few pods
DSCN0429.jpg

Nice update Fernando! You got some nice surprises in your walk around! Mine are being a real pain about ripening! I am trying to wait to pull most of my Jals/Cayennes until they start to at least show some red to see it it helps their heat levels. Most of my overwinter Jals came back mild??? Hope after a few rounds they find their heat. Everything is looking great man! Gonna be fun watching those supers ripen up for you.

Thanks Shane I just found more fatalii pods and 7 pod burgundy starting to development, so hopefully by next month I will start seeing pods develop into their final stage for tasting.

Plants are looking great. I am also growing wild brazil and really looking forward to them.
Yours is way ahead of mine. First time I've seen that video of the cayenne thick. I like the
one with the towel ready to wipe the sweat off his forehead :lol: . Sweet and hot, I think I
will need to grow that one next year.

Holy flowers is right! Wowzwers! You are killin me with all these producing plants! The inpatient Matt is coming out (>_<)

Plants are looking great. I am also growing wild brazil and really looking forward to them.
Yours is way ahead of mine. First time I've seen that video of the cayenne thick. I like the
one with the towel ready to wipe the sweat off his forehead :lol: . Sweet and hot, I think I
will need to grow that one next year.
Thanks currently the wild brazil took a lapse due to overheat this pass week and is under the recovery process I just feed it some tea yesterday and it looks like it will be ok but all the flowers dropped, so I am starting over again arggggggg damn heat. I think Shane did an awesome job on the review yea they are awesome I harvested 4 the other day my family made a some fresh salsa with it and they loved it, so I moved it into a 10 gallon root pouch hoping it starts to take off and produce enough pods that I can make enough powder on one harvest.
Thanks Roper2008 for passing through
great looking plants..keep up the good work
Thanks Dennis some plants are loving the heat while others are flipping me off, so hopefully once I get the shade cloth and finish the greenhouse things will improve and we can all be a happy family again lol.
Holy flowers is right! Wowzwers! You are killin me with all these producing plants! The inpatient Matt is coming out (>_<)
Matt Thanks you doing great yourself in no time you will start producing flowers and pods the plant that has caught me by surprise is the Holy Mole and Cayenne Thick while plants are hating full sun they seem to be thriving in pod production I counted atleast 15 baby pods on the Mole and 10 on the cayenne thick while some c.chinense are producing one or two under full sun, but hopefully things change once most of the C.chinense move into their new sanctuary with a shade cloth.
Thanks again for everyone following and I hope you are enjoying spring producing boat loads of pods
&ldquo;If opportunity doesn&rsquo;t knock, build a door.&rdquo; -Milton Berle

hey fernando.. saw you were also growing some maters... love the lemon boys... grew 5 of those last year and had so much.. also grew 1 plant of yellow pears and i felt really bad because more were on the ground than i was harvesting.... if you are not too far i have a few white wonder tomatoes, green zebra and and some german greens to spare.. amongst the eggplants i have

Hey, Fernando! Really glad I got a chance to peruse your grow log; as always,
your photos are incredible, both in content and variety. You are a pepper god.
I like seeing the wild Brazil and the Purple Tomatillo pix - I have Shane's WB going,
and three of your PT's; also three of your Peach Habs doing fine. Think they are
beginning to form true leaves.

Great work down in SoCal, Fernando - have a great week!

hey fernando.. saw you were also growing some maters... love the lemon boys... grew 5 of those last year and had so much.. also grew 1 plant of yellow pears and i felt really bad because more were on the ground than i was harvesting.... if you are not too far i have a few white wonder tomatoes, green zebra and and some german greens to spare.. amongst the eggplants i have
Thanks for the offer Dennis I am already load with plants and don't have enough space to add more varieties the last tomato I am growing for the season is the great white tomato. The lemon boy was interesting from the HD list that caught my interest when I was reading the information on the card. You plants are looking great yourself I hope you can protect them from this summer we are about to have.
Hey, Fernando! Really glad I got a chance to peruse your grow log; as always,
your photos are incredible, both in content and variety. You are a pepper god.
I like seeing the wild Brazil and the Purple Tomatillo pix - I have Shane's WB going,
and three of your PT's; also three of your Peach Habs doing fine. Think they are
beginning to form true leaves.

Great work down in SoCal, Fernando - have a great week!

Lol pepper God no where near some of these awesome growers that have been doing this much longer than me.I have enjoyed this experience with this only being my second year ever growing anything so while I am happy not satisifed because this year like last year will be a learning experence to make adjustments and cut down my list to dedicate myself to grow a few that have the flavor and heat I enjoy in 20 and 25 gallon container.

Well I was able to find some time to post an update.
Pimenta De Neyde
DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

7 pod Burgundy
DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

Giant Jalapeno finally no more dime size pods
DSCN0441.jpg

7 pod Chaguanes #2
DSCN0445.jpg

Wild Brazil it look a little less drastic than this but it has made a complete a complete recovery with just water and NH fish and seaweed fertilizer
DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

Lemon overwintered first baby pod (by far my favorite from last year)
DSCN0448.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

more pics to continue

Back