• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

They might be a little dry HTH but they still look damm tasty. And with Mac-n-cheese?? Lawdy save my soul!

I wonder if you had a water pan in your kettle smoker? I pay close attention to keep it full every time I load more wood. I start sometimes with beer, fruit juice, or pop (cola) and end up with just water.

Fine job my man. Now GO TO BED YOU LAZY BASTAGE!!!

HigherThisHeat said:
Done... And as always. Literally, every time, served with mac n cheese.

So a little on the dry side, but some weren't. Some were perfectly cooked to my likings... good experience. Now, if you don't mind. I'm drunk, fat and full... GOODNIGHT HOT PEPPER FREAKS

attachicon.gif
2014-11-16 18.29.57.jpg
attachicon.gif
2014-11-16 19.17.07.jpg
attachicon.gif
2014-11-16 19.17.07.jpg

I did wrap them. But only for an hour. It's super hard to maintain a steady temp using the kettle grill as a smoker, so I think the dryness was due to temps spiking up to 250 here and there.

Ahwell. Stuff was ridiculously good.

Leftovas for dayyyyyys. Gonna make a rib sandwich me thinks

I'm about to smoke some chicken wings again here.

This time I am trying something new. Which I rarely do, as I am stuck in my ways!

But I'm gonna brine the wings prior to smoking... They're sitting in a basic brine as we speak. Can anyone chime in about brined SMOKED wings?

I plan on doing a hot smoke. Maybe 320° or so.

When they look plump, they are brined. The purpose is the water so they don't dry out on the smoker. For a short wing smoke, not really needed. The salt in the solution creates osmosis*, where the level of salination wants to equalize so salt water is forced into the chicken. So make sure you have a good salt level.

*Yes, some say technically it is not osmosis (amazingribs I think?), but the end result is the same no matter what you call it.

You don't need to unbrine! LOL.

Wings do dry out fast so it's good! It just seemed you were cooking them fast so wasn't sure if it mattered. It's more for long cooks. Whole chickens do very well brined.

Posty up!!!!!

Hyperbolic salinization reverse osmosis is the way I like to do wings.

With just a sprinkle of BP, and a touch of salt.

:rofl:

Best Answer!!!

The Hot Pepper said:
When they look plump, they are brined. The purpose is the water so they don't dry out on the smoker. For a short wing smoke, not really needed. The salt in the solution creates osmosis*, where the level of salination wants to equalize so salt water is forced into the chicken. So make sure you have a good salt level.

*Yes, some say technically it is not osmosis (amazingribs I think?), but the end result is the same no matter what you call it.

I grilled them to get color char and then baked at 400F for 20 min to finish cooking and crisp up - I agree with your choice order as well. 

Back