• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

Oh that's right. Duh. I've done chicken, and turkey before.

Though that turkey boob you did looked super good. Still want to so something else though. Next month I'll be doing a whole turkey on the smoker.

Ohhh ok. I've been wanting to do one, but seems like a ton of work.

I can I just buy prepacked already corned beef, and just smoke that I wonder?

I don't know, I think he gets into that over at AmazingRibs ...

I'm going to plot doing one of those in a few weeks ...

I need to do some steaks and dip my toes into wok'ing in the near future, first ...

Cheers ...

PS - heavenly weather, right? ...

HigherThisHeat said:
Ohhh ok. I've been wanting to do one, but seems like a ton of work.

I can I just buy prepacked already corned beef, and just smoke that I wonder?
you have got to try doing the whole corned beef yourself comes out incredible we do a whole packers cut brisket every year one for st Patrick's day and one smoked for pastrami. Out of control will post some pics when I start my next batch. Definitely worth the effort. :)

oldsalty said:
you have got to try doing the whole corned beef yourself comes out incredible we do a whole packers cut brisket every year one for st Patrick's day and one smoked for pastrami. Out of control will post some pics when I start my next batch. Definitely worth the effort. :)
You can't skip the steaming with pastrami or it's really not pastrami, it's smoked corned beef.

Sounds like a ton of work to do a pastrami, but I think I'm down for it this st patricks day!

Anyway, like I said. Smokin some stuffs today. I've only ever done spare ribs and never baby back. So baby back ribs it is.
IMG_20141116_124914.jpg

I know the cooking time is about 4-5hrs. Should I still do the 3-2-1 method, but perhaps, more like 2-1-1 or something like that?

I ONLY do Baby Backs, and swear bt the 3-2-1 method! Sometimes, if I am in the mood for saucy ribs, I'll fire up the grill (set to "nuclear") and finish them with sauce, turning, saucing, repeat for 10-15 minutes.

But yea, 3-2-1 method for sure. That's my ¢2-2-2¢.

Do it up bro!

Yeah buddy!

My 3-2-1 is something like this:

225° - 235°
3 hours heavy smoke
2 hours tightly tented in foil (I bought a special pan, just for the smoker)
1 hour back on the rack with light to no smoke
Finish on the grill if desired.

So really after the first 3 hours it's just about maintaining the temperature.

At 225 3-2-1 is for fall-off-the-bone and some would consider that too much, where the meat raises from the bone and there is no pull at all, it just falls off with a bite. 5 hours will give a bite to the rib, but it will still fall apart. Just my opinion.

Usually they say the 3-2-1 is a consumer method since most people think fall-off-the-bone is desired, and 5 hours is more of a competition method. Up to you and how you like your ribs!

HigherThisHeat said:
So the baby backs should still take 6 hours?

temps been averaging 235
At 235, maybe 4.5 hours to 4.75 hours.

Gonna have to make an executive decision here. Last time I did ribs they were too dry. Completely fall off the bone. I looked at them, and a bone would fall out.

I'm just about 3 hours in. gonna wrap in foil for probably an hour, and then unwrap. As I don't want them completely dry fall off then bone. I like a little bite. Sooooooo just gonna kind of play it by ear... Thinking it'll be 3-1-1 method at this rate

You could try: After the 1 hour foil, finish them on the :HOT: grill.

Wait, you are smoking on the grill... :scratcheshead:

I prefer the tender chew. Any lift off the bone lets air get in there that can start to dry them out from the inside. 3-2-1 can be done well, and not dry, but I still prefer 5 hours at 225.

Ain't knockin' Scovie's 3-2-1 either. If he does it, it's gotta be good. It takes some skill to get either way just right.

The only time I've had them like HTH described "fall off the bone" was when I did them in the oven. Go figure LOLOL

Maybe they aren't that way because generally the humidity here is in the teens? I don't like that fall off the bone stuff, when you can just pull the bones out and spread the meat with a knife. :ew:

Yeah they should never be dry, that sounds like 3-2-1 at heat that was not monitored, and was spiking, or around 250. 3-2-1 can be done without them being dry!

Back