• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

I've had fall-off-the-bone happen trying slow-cooker ribs, and the one time I tried fatty spare's in the water bath (was absolutely disgusting) ...

HigherThisHeat said:
attachicon.gif
2014-09-01 19.03.02.jpg

attachicon.gif
2014-09-01 19.02.07.jpg

You can see here from my last go with spareribs, just how dry the meat is. It's almost crumbly.

Aiming for a little less done this time

Yeah it could use a little more chew, where the texture almost looks like steak, but it still pulls apart.

When you cut ribs apart they should cut clean, not fall all apart/flake apart like stew meat.

I'm not a big fan of wrapping my ribs but did do a few if you plan on wrapping don't mop ribs let them go full 3/ 3 1/2 hours then if you decide to always 3 layers of foil or butcher paper.Spray with Apple juice and little brown sugar,sprinkle more rub and drizzle of honey, y'all know what they say, Honey for the Money. If foiled move to oven set to 250 for 1 1/2 hours, 2 is to long for baby backs they get mushy. If using butcher's paper back on smoker for allotted time then brush with finishing sauce and sear on grill watch carefully as to prevent burning big no no! Let rest 5 minutes slice and serve these techniques produce nice tender product. I prefer smoking my ribs straight through just mop after 3 hours.
6qgpb9.jpg
10p8wll.jpg
just my humble opinion :)

Yes that is a beautiful texture. Gotta be able to slice a rib but it is still tender and pulls apart when you bite it. Looks can be deceiving because chewy ribs can also look like that. But a good rib does too. The smoke ring and juiciness is the tell.

No no no not yours lol.

In general the pics can look the same so some might think a perfect rib is not done when it is. The juiciness and smoke ring are the tell which yours has. But falling apart when slicing is not good. Yours has that steak texture I was talking about. Looks perfect to me. Perfect.

HigherThisHeat said:
You can see here from my last go with spareribs, just how dry the meat is. It's almost crumbly.

Aiming for a little less done this time
Still looks like good eats!! I'd love to put a hurting on that plate :)
The Hot Pepper said:
No no no not yours lol.
In general the pics can look the same so some might think a perfect rib is not done when it is. The juiciness and smoke ring are the tell which yours has. But falling apart when slicing is not good. Yours has that steak texture I was talking about. Looks perfect to me. Perfect.
Thank you for the kind words good sir. LOVE THIS SITE always keeps me laughing. Besides you're only as good as your last smoke. :) :( :) CHEERS!

Cooking it on indirect first, and then putting the sear on it at the end, sometimes caveman style on some lump or whatever ...

I think JHP drops a pic of one from time to time ...

I recall a pretty epic blackening post of yours from a couple of years ago ... probably one of the only ACTUALLY blackened thing I've seen posted, actually ...

I think the forum argued about the necessity of butter for a few months afterwards ...

Back