• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Portuge said:
Charles, i dont know how ya do it man... All i see is lush green plants, must be that sunrise over there lol...

The trick, I've learned slowly, is to stay out of their way as much as possible...

OhioGrown said:
nice looking plants!!! I'm glad the weather here is finally breaking, maybe even make it to 50 on Saturday.

Yep, it was 46 here.  Went for a run.  Damn holiday cookies, beer, and chocolate weighing me down though!

Devv said:
Plants looking super healthy!

So putting them in a window versus the lights would slow them down? Or would they get leggy?

It warmed up enough to put mine outside, actually I'm hoping the 50° weather will slow them down.

Stay warm and keep it green!

They've got enough well-spaced nodes on them that moving them into natural light will just slow them down.  I did the same thing last year, no legginess.

Spicegeist said:
C. galapagoense seedlings keep popping up.  My overwinter is doing fine... I don't really need this many:
11854901243_b98c4588b6_b.jpg

Overall, my plants are doing quite well:
11854639905_d4e4a27647_b.jpg

The big one at the top here is a Naga Morich, some of the smaller ones are late starts to compensate for a few varieties that didn't make it the first time around starting them:
11854908333_209db2838c_b.jpg

The leaves on the Fatalii come in really close to eachother, not a lot of space between the nodes.  Seems characteristic of this variety:
11855505833_6c09e4b4f5_b.jpg

Until I saw the flowers and fruit, the first time I grew the Lota Bih from seed I really doubted if it was a C. frutescens:
11855252235_69c0633e25_b.jpg
babies looking awesome......theyre like super greeeeennnnnnnnn :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Penny said:
I know eh, they look amazing!! :dance:

:dance:

windchicken said:
Wow, Charles your growing skills are "insanely great!"

"We're not worthy!"

:P

Haha, thanks Gary, I'm telling you, it's not me, it's the plants!

Sawyer said:
Plants are looking great, Charles.  Your pictures are remarkably crisp for only 300 KB or so.

Glad to hear it's warming up a bit for you.  It's in the low 50s and raining most of the day here, today, but the prediction is for sunny and a high of 60 on Sunday.

Thanks, just a plain 'ol bottom-of-the-line smartphone... sometimes I get lucky if I angle it the right way...

Same here with weather, not too cold, but definitely getting a soaking.

Finally got around to potting some of these up to 1-gallon containers today.

From left to right,
Top row: Red Bhut, Onion Bhut (just for my own reference, otherwise, a different red bhut), Jay's Peach from jedisushi06, Naga Morich, Lota Bih
Middle row: Jay's Peach from Pr0digal_son, Red Bhut, Fatalii, Shabu Jolokia, Pale Bhut
Bottom row: Dorset Naga, Naga King, Choco Bhut, Choco Bhut, Guwahati Bhut

+3 more pots for something else...

11879674523_59bbf041f2_b.jpg

I'd love to keep it to just these 15 plants from seed this year, but the chances of this happening are very low.

Lookin good Charles. You are definitely a top notch grower. I still have to perfect my soil composition so I can leave them be more. I'm still new at this though.  I really like the fuzzy Galapas! I have one on my desk as an indoor plant. Surprisingly they seem to do well with it a little cooler which works well for me. Hope that polar vortex craziness has passed by at this point for ya.

The up potted plants look great!

You know at the stage they're at they look their best pic wise and will for awhile, then they're not so pretty....but then here comes poddage!

And another realm comes into play, and the fantastic pics go on.

Keep it green!

Great looking plants Charles!

Got your letter today, but it was planting day so I sent them straight into their pellets! Will post some pics tomorrow!

Everything is looking great. Can't wait to see the Yellow Bhut and the Chiltepin X 7 Pot Barrackpore sound fascinating as well!

Thanks again!

Great looking plants Charles!

Got your letter today, but it was planting day so I sent them straight into their pellets! Will post some pics tomorrow!

Everything is looking great. Can't wait to see the Yellow Bhut and the Chiltepin X 7 Pot Barrackpore sound fascinating as well!

Thanks again!

Very nice, I'm growing the Tepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore. Looking forward to see how yours turn out. Mine is barely picking up. Bad soil you know, but I'm gonna put it in hydro for a lil bit :D.

-Walt

Back