• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Nice looking up-pots and fuzzy Galapagoense babies Charles! It's nice to see what my Guwahati Bhut, Naga King and Lotah Bih are hopefully gonna look like in a month or so. Did the Lotah Bih primary leaves look kinda yellowish on yours when they first developed? Mine do right now... I'm spraying them with a mild Epsom salt solution to foliar feed. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll test the pH and adjust as necessary. Cheers!

stickman said:
Nice looking up-pots and fuzzy Galapagoense babies Charles! It's nice to see what my Guwahati Bhut, Naga King and Lotah Bih are hopefully gonna look like in a month or so. Did the Lotah Bih primary leaves look kinda yellowish on yours when they first developed? Mine do right now... I'm spraying them with a mild Epsom salt solution to foliar feed. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll test the pH and adjust as necessary. Cheers!

This may sound weird, but when that happens to my seedlings, I leave them on a sunny windowsill to get some natural sun light.  My superstition is that there is something about what's in sunlight that straightens them out.... it also gives me a good excuse to not over do it with trying to fix whatever is wrong and maybe do a little culling (I always have too many plants).  I hope yours pull through... I had two Lota Bih seedlings, they were both a little yellow, one pulled through and is looking great... the other is still on the windowsill  :rolleyes: 

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Charles I have a non-bhut question :D.

What happened with those "Locoto x CGN 19198#1". Just curious how they turned out. I've seen pics of different plant variations and none ever made pods.

-Walt

Off the top of my head, I can't recall how they did... which means if they did survive it wasn't my cup of tea...

Here's a question for any of you growing Peach Bhuts.  Do your seedlings have this purplish coloration on the stem?

Some pics, two different seedlings:
11939520256_10463b30e0_c.jpg

11939515416_c243802282_c.jpg

Here's a yellow bhut seedling for comparison, no purplish tint:
11939504796_d0b45ee0bf_c.jpg

Pinoy83 said:
i wanted to comment on the color of the stem, but all my peach bhut died after they sprouted :mope:

Oh no, that's no good, sorry to hear.  Mine have been weak too, I don't know if it's the variety or just my luck this year, but they don't seem to grow as strong as other varieties.  At least in the beginning.
GA Growhead said:
I say let'em carry on. Might be nothing, or could be something special. I don't remember last season if they did or didn't. Will see if I can find some Picts.

Datil said:
Great job so far!
Keeping the plants number low is always hard but kudos for trying :)

Cya

Datil

Thanks, yeah it is hard.  I am really curious about the Peach Bhut since I've never grown it... I'll hang on to them :)

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Charles what does this one look like more to you? I never seen pics of Donne sali seedlings. To me it looks more like CAP 501.

CAP 501 x Donne sali F1.

-Walt

Edit: in my opinion, it looks like a cross.  Here's a pic of a CAP 501 seedling I started in 2012 (notice the leaf shape is quite different):
Chacoense.jpg

Here's another pic of the CAP 501 from above:
Capsicumchacoense.jpg

Spicegeist said:

Edit: in my opinion, it looks like a cross.  Here's a pic of a CAP 501 seedling I started in 2012 (notice the leaf shape is quite different):
Chacoense.jpg

Here's another pic of the CAP 501 from above:
Capsicumchacoense.jpg
Yeah it definitely looks like a cross. The leaf shape is quite different, but it does look a lot like the chacoense. I have 4 CAP 501... they germinate too good LOL. They germinated a couple days apart and the cross has longer sexy cotyledons than the chacoense. I really like this one.

Cumari pollux x Donne sali doesn't want to germinate. I'm gonna sow one last round... and I'm putting down the rest of the seed to see if any germinate.

-Walt

Back