• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

Jeff H said:

I don't think anyone is poking fun. You work fast, and are always the overachiever. I never would have thought of cutting down 20" tiles. Of course, even if I thought about it, I never would have spent the energy to do it. Nice work Jeff.

Question for you. You clearly have quite an investment in tools and I'm sure it is extensive. Reading through your glogs, you don't give any indication of doing this type of work for a living. Was working in the trades something you did earlier in life and just collected the tools? What is the story. Surely you didn't spend 10K on tools for just the barn and property makeover.

Hi Jeff, I have been self employed in the construction business for around 33 years, plus I consult for a few firms overseas. my passion is finish carpentry and cabinet maker. I guess you could say these tools are collected, but what is not  on hand I just run down to the shop about 5 miles from here and grab.

Right now the company is more into building large milking parlors and free stalls. Last summer I spent most of my time consulting in Russia and the year before I personally headed a crew and built 2 milking parlors, 5 free stalls, plus a huge all steel building for a junkyard. Out of that now do to physical reasons, so spending my time at home working on never ending projects to keep from going insane. lol 

Do miss it once an a while, but what I don't miss is the headaches and ratrace. :crazy: 

​Could go on disability but doesn't feel right, there are folks out there that have nothing to eat, feel fortunate to have some tools and work on making life better here at home for my wife.

Hope that answers your questions. ;p)

Thanks for stopping by and replying, Cheers - Jeff

Spicy Chicken said:

Hi Jeff, I have been self employed in the construction business for around 33 years, plus I consult for a few firms overseas. my passion is finish carpentry and cabinet maker. I guess you could say these tools are collected, but what is not  on hand I just run down to the shop about 5 miles from here and grab.

That it impressive. I assumed it was something like that, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I can see the experience and knowledge in your work. I worked in the trades for 10 years or so as a carpenter while I put myself through college at night and I acquired many tools along the way. I never would have had them if I didn't do it for a living at one time. Glad I did. The skills you learn are around forever.

Spicy Chicken said:

Do miss it once an a while, but what I don't miss is the headaches and ratrace. :crazy: 

I hear you. for the last 14 years or so I've been a Project Manager for a steel fabricator and installer. We build schools, hospitals and power plant work. I understand headaches and rat races.

stc3248 said:
I think an end grain butcher block with the Dark Cherry and Hard Maple in 2" squares like a checkerboard...not that that's a lot of work or anything.

:party:  Not like I haven't done that before, lol but now that I look back why didn't I make a checker/chess, backgammon, or some other game board out of the tile. I would have to!   :doh: 

anigif.gif

Just a recap on the tile countertop gettin it done.
Next labeling all the pieces and sanding lots and lots of edges. :confused: 

Pantry_094.jpg

Pantry_095.jpg

Pantry_096.jpg

Pantry_097.jpg

Pantry_098.jpg

Pantry_099.jpg

Pantry_100.jpg

Pantry_101.jpg

Pantry_102.jpg

Thanks for looking! Its friday :dance: Have a great weekend everybody! :cheers: 

Cheers - Jeff

Scoville DeVille said:
OMG... I will have night terrors for weeks! :rofl:
(Not making fun of you, just ribbing a little LOL)

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Ya I know it might be a little overboard but no 2 pieces are exactly the same, when I throw em in a 5 gal pail and take em upstairs for sanding no way could keep them straight or remember where they went.  :rolleyes:

Spicy Chicken said:

Ya I know it might be a little overboard but no 2 pieces are exactly the same, when I throw em in a 5 gal pail and take em upstairs for sanding no way could keep them straight or remember where they went.  :rolleyes:

I think Scovie was thinking something like OMFG, you hand cut 40 intricate pieces for one 3' section of counter top? Wow, that is a lot of work. I know I was.

Nice job Jeff.

I would have cut, polished and set as I go, probably like 3-4 at a time. Cut the handling down by at least ⅓. but I have been doing this awhile. You're having fun tho, right?

Spicy Chicken said:
Scovie and Romy6 would have had this done in like 10 minutes.

And for the record, it would have taken Jamie at least twice as long as me... whaaaaaa? :rofl: :rofl:

Scoville DeVille said:
I would have cut, polished and set as I go, probably like 3-4 at a time. Cut the handling down by at least ⅓. but I have been doing this awhile. You're having fun tho, right?

And for the record, it would have taken Jamie at least twice as long as me... whaaaaaa? :rofl: :rofl:

Jamie, you are not going to take that are you?  :rofl: 

Thanks Scovie!! you have been a tremendous help one this whole tile thing, really [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]appreciate[/SIZE] your [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]guidance.[/SIZE]
I am having fun,
Went through these steps because someone very special was visiting this weekend and wanted her to do the install, Father - Daughter time.  ;) 

anigif.gif

Thanks for stopping by everyone! 

This weekend was a very special treat for my wife and myself as our daughter Chelsea came to visit us. Many of you may know her situation but for those who do not, Chelsea is a burn [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]survivor[/SIZE] of about 4 years now and a [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]miracle[/SIZE]. The whole reason that we grow and sell our hot pepper products is to help her [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]financially[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]She is so full of life and excitement with her bubbly personality.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]We staged everything thing so that she could do this without help, kina full proof you might say with all the pieces cut, sanded and even put cheater spacers on the bottom of the tile so they would not have to be leveled.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Here is some pics of her have a blast doing this with me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]
Pantry_104.jpg
[/SIZE]

Here is the tile being pre sanded and cheater spacers on the bottom.  :shh: 

Pantry_105.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_106.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_107.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_108.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_109.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_110.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_111.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pantry_112.jpg
[/SIZE]

We are so proud of her!! Think she did an awesome job don't you?

Cheer - Jeff

She did a great job! She's a cutie-pie to boot! Way to go!

Holy crap! You weren't kidding about "sanding" the tiles.

Do the two central tiles have heating elements under them? Would be a great serving counter.

Doh! Just kidding!!!!!!! Don't run with with that idea. Hahahahahahaha

Are you going to finish the top of the wall design with another band of the dark tile? (I would). With a steady hand and a 4" diamond wheel on your grinder, or even a diamond blade in your Skill-Saw (set to depth of course) you can even those tiles up.

Lookin good my man.

Scoville DeVille said:
She did a great job! She's a cutie-pie to boot! Way to go!

Thank goodness she takes after her mother. ;-)

Holy crap! You weren't kidding about "sanding" the tiles.

We sanded all the 4x4 tiles on this sander but any cuts that were made on the fly were polished with a hand stone, running up and down the stairs was not an option with every cut. lol 

Do the two central tiles have heating elements under them? Would be a great serving counter.

Doh! Just kidding!!!!!!! Don't run with with that idea. Hahahahahahaha 

Neat idea, steady thinkin aren't you!!  :party:  shoulda woulda coulda . 

Are you going to finish the top of the wall design with another band of the dark tile? (I would). A cabinet will go above this counter top and an band of cherry trim will cover what is left, the trim will be concealing the hdmi cord that will run from the ipad to the TV. 

With a steady hand and a 4" diamond wheel on your grinder, or even a diamond blade in your Skill-Saw (set to depth of course) you can even those tiles up. I could have screwed a board to the wall or just a pencil line and cut the tile but there will be a end wall cover there so it won't matter, hopefully the weather will break and allow me to spray up some sheet stock in the cabinet shop upstairs. This cold cold winter is seeming to last forever! ;-) 

Lookin good my man. Thanks to you!!   ;) 

Great pictures Jeff and Chelsea is beautiful, and way to go girl on the tile job. :dance: ...I'm lucky if Brad lets me use a drill!! ;)

Spicy Chicken said:

Pantry_104.jpg
[/SIZE]

We are so proud of her!! Think she did an awesome job don't you?

Cheer - Jeff
Damn, that is a serious sander. You aren't messing around there.
Beautiful daughter too and she did a great job, but I have one of those daughter things already. I don't have a sander that awesome...yet.

And don't let Scovie discourage you, a hot plate heater under those two center tiles would be a hoot.

Scoville DeVille said:
Oh hael yeah! Great idea using wood trim to conceal the cable!

Aw shucks... And I wasn't much help.

Scovie, you should be used to it by now. Isn't it always up to the carpenters to put the finishing touches on the tile guys work??? :dance:

Back