• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Spicy Chicken's grow room and greenhouse makeover

Thanks guys, just a little different then when I started, but still less then 50% done on the inside of the lower half, O well spring will come soon enough.

Didn't have a lot of time after work today but managed to get a good start on the drying racks, there will be 8 in all but for now I am just putting together 6.

1st Pic is of an exciting roller cart I will be using for the base, you will see it later covered with a table cloth.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0391.jpg

Cutting up 3 sheets of 3/4 inch melamine in to the box frame.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0392.jpg

Next 3 Pics is of sanding the tray supports, made from 1/2" Baltic Birch 9 ply plywood. extremely strong.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0393.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0394.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0395.jpg

Dadoing out the box panels.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0396.jpg

Installing the tray supports.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0397.jpg

Assembly of the drying boxes.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0398.jpg

2 of them done 4 to go and then add peppers.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0399.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone, stay warm the night are getting longer and colder!:cool:

Holy cow that is beautiful! I can scarcely believe that those walls still contain such an old skeleton inside :) I wonder if you'd have room in there for a futon? Sure looks like a nice place to relax.

Amazing work all around. Very inspirational and thanks for taking the extra time to post details of the side projects. People like me who need ideas can't get enough of that stuff :)

They look great, SC. The master at work :clap: wish I was that crafty with tools and such. Nonetheless very inspirational, you're giving me new ideas everytime I check out your thread :)

Not exactly what I envisioned when I built the place, another 4 weeks and I would have had all the custom cabinets built and in place.

I did manage to throw together some scarps and pieces of junk I had laying around, enough to move forward with this venture.

A shot of the west wall.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0402.jpg

Shot of the east wall.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0405.jpg

Sorting table with 3 slide in totes, one for good peppers with stems removed, one for unripe peppers and one for the bad peppers and leafs and such you get when striping hanging plants.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0401.jpg

Processing area.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0403.jpg

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0404.jpg

Packageing and shipping area.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0400.jpg

With in a few days all the drying boxes will be full and more stacked waiting, not really looking forward to that part.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0406.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a great day!:dance:

Nice work, lookin goot... I guess up there humidity isn't an issue. Here Melamine just falls apart. I hate working with that stuff, MDF is worse. I guess I like the ole birch ply, and a spry with the HVLP...

HOLY WOW!

Did you also make the cabinet and counters for the packaging area?? Very nice setup.

I wonder with all those peppers and fans blowing in there, do you worry about your eyes watering? :D

Great setup man! It looks like the place has been in operation for years. Do you use a heat source when drying the pods?

I do only for certain types of peppers, In the pic below you will see a space heater in one of the units. there is a square hole cut in the back of the cabinet for the air intake, forcing the heat threw the perforated pans and exhausting out 4 - 2 inch holes drilled in the top. I have 3 of these and they would run steady for more than 2 months, the electric bill was enormous to say the least.

This year I decided to turn the whole room into the dehydrator, one heater on low keeps the temp at 85 plus and a dehumidifier removes the moisture with the fans blowing over the peppers they dry fairly quickly.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0409.jpg

Nice work, lookin goot... I guess up there humidity isn't an issue. Here Melamine just falls apart. I hate working with that stuff, MDF is worse. I guess I like the ole birch ply, and a spry with the HVLP...

I like the Baltic birch much better to, but I wanted something I could clean without a chemical coating and the price. It will last quite a while especially with the dehumidifier running 24/7

HOLY WOW!

Did you also make the cabinet and counters for the packaging area?? Very nice setup.

I wonder with all those peppers and fans blowing in there, do you worry about your eyes watering? :D

I did make that cabinet for a customer who changed their mind half way through the build so ended up in the scrap pile and the top in just black 3/4 in melamine left over from god I can't remember build. that area will eventually be a sink and counter area but the cabinet fit there so there she be.

It does get quite potent at times but while I work in there I turn all the fans and the heated dehydrator off; so not to bad.

Starting to get filled up.

2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0407.jpg

Thanks fellas for all of your kind words, comments and questions.:)

Have a good one! SC

Well this will conclude this stage of Spicy Chickens Greenhouse and Germination/Drying Room Extreme Makeover Home Addition.

I don’t comment on other posts much anymore; apparently I am an idiot and not much into conflict here.:(

After all I have only been growing peppers for 36 years, what the hell do I know?

Anywho once again thank you all for looking, thought I would leave you with some before and after pics.

At some point I will have to build the germination/grow chambers, will post an update then if you like.

Wishing you all a great Holiday Season. Cheers, Spicy Chicken

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

Wow it is over? That was a nice ride. Thanks for taking me along with. Also, thanks for the how to last year on those raised beds that you posted here.

Thanks Spicy, that was a fantastic post/wip/view into your build/world... One question though, do you process a lot of peppers? :rofl:

Just one or two, next year we are going to live on the edge and up the ante to 3 maybe 4. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow it is over? That was a nice ride. Thanks for taking me along with. Also, thanks for the how to last year on those raised beds that you posted here.

Not over yet maybe a year from now! and your welcome but it is I that owe a thanks for all the kind words, I'm just a guy to!:)

Unbelievable Transformation Jeff, I'm lost for words.

Thanks for sticking with the build JR, more to come at some point, all of the drying racks are full and more staged so as soon as the drying is done will be getting into the germination, Woohoo, can't wait,

That is almost too nice to work in. Amazing transformation.

:rofl: key work almost, liking it so far and thanks buddy!

It looks really good!

Are you going to do a second story later on ?

I am, second story greenhouse, If I get the bug I may end up doing it this winter, the plastic roof as it sits now may disintegrate this winter with 30 below and 40 mph winds. If that happens the first floor will be very vulnerable to rain come spring and all the hard work down the drain. but snow will not be and issue so I might work on the upper greenhouse this winter. will see!:cool:

Thanks for all the comments along the road!

Absolutely beautiful work Jeff. It was great watching a master craftsman do his thing.

That's what I'd call a chili suite. :)

I know you along with many others here are very meticulous in your endeavors, Ive seen your garden and grow logs, holy crap.

Master craftsman? maybe rookie wannabee a Bob Vella.:rofl:

Cheers Everyone.:dance:

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this thread. I'm truly blown away by what you've accomplished.

Edit: Did I mention that I'd gleefully kill to have your skill set?

Back