• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

WalkGood said:
Up periscope Captain, there be pods at the Shane Estate … Whoa what a nice surprise to come home to, hope you enjoy the heat over the weekend ^_^

Don't forget you're on a diet ;)

Was a great surprise!!! I was expecting the Goat's Weed and Morugas to be ready...but the rest were a shock! 

highalt said:

Hey, no worries, peppers are low in calories!    :P
Yup...more to follow on that!

Devv said:
Wow! Glad to see you're harvesting some pods...and many more to follow.

As I've said before, you hit it just right this year.

Congrats on a fantastic grow this year! And you know we all learn just from reading, thanks for sharing.

Always looking forward to seeing more :cheers:

Scott
I did a couple things right...and a bunch of crap wrong. Timing is one of the "rights" for sure! I have learned a bunch from your grow as well my friend! Never know when someone will show you to do something new or different on here!!!

Sanarda said:
beautiful Shane.  I demand some taste test vids :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  
Against my better judgement...I am gonna wait 'till all the little first pods are out of the way, then go for it with a real deal, big gnarly pod or two this season. Although, I can tell you that those little dime sized Moruga first pods are pretty freakin HOT...just scary to think what a large well developed pod is gonna do.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
I went there and the scotch bonnets I had turned out to be Caribbean. Reds of some sort.

I did go to Shane's nursery but didn't have any supers at the time. I only saw tigers teeth that intrigued me.

Nursery about 45 mins away had bhuts last year but not this time. I ended up getting some manzanos there and some butch Ts.

Nice color changes Shane.
Haven't been up there like I said...I know they had pequins, and I almost bought some when I went last time...and Fataliis...kept thinking I only have one Fatalii, I really need another one. Yellow Bhuts...geez, why didn't I start any of those seeds from Spicegeist, one plant won't hurt...luckily (or not) mama was with me and we got out of there with nothing but flowers and seeds for her. Maybe I will pay a visit. The Barrackpores I bought there last year were freaking killer!

StupidJerk said:
Scotch Bonnets seem to be the most elusive pepper to find legit seeds for. Lots of fake ones get spread around and make people think they know what Scotch Bonnets are supposed to look like.
Yeah...that is a problem. I grew some last year that turned out to be what I think was a Jamaican Hot Yellow. Really cool plant though, and I was glad to have ended up with it. MJDiamond finally sent me some real deal seeds later on, and WOW!!! I got some seeds for you at the end of the season...but if I were you I'd hit up one of the guys growing the MOAs...they don't get any realer than that!

stickman said:
Nice work Shane! The rest of us'll catch up to you any month now... ;)
Awe c'mon Rick...quit selling yourself short. You're knockin on the door yourself in freakin MA! You low zone growers are the real growers on here. Any idiot can make stuff grow where I live!

So...diet + a bonnet with roots in Belize, hmmmm what to do???
gallery_5729_10_439958.jpg

Ceviche that's what you do! Super sweet with a nice long burn that didn't melt my face...ahhhhh. Thanks Greg...this one's a winner! 

and for dinner??? Problem with Bell peppers...no sting so...
gallery_5729_10_2923689.jpg

You throw a Scorpion on top! Not the best lighting...

gallery_5729_10_220349.jpg

This Stuffed Bell had some sting!!! Ate a few bites of each pepper (Moruga and Yellow Cardi) straight up to see what I was working with...HOT! :fireball:

Yellow Cardi had the signature fruity-sweet start followed by a nice strong but manageable lip/tongue burn. That little tiny "first pod" Moruga...ahem...could almost start to taste some sweet chinense then BAM bitter heat blast to the whole mouth. The combo was really good with the meal, but a large Moruga later in the season...one that ripens in the 100 degree heat...I dunno if I wanna tackle that one! Kinda like that first little tiny Barrackpore last season, it let me know it wasn't to be effed with, but I went and took on his big bro later on anyway...well that one didn't turn out well for me. Aight folks. I will post another update tomorrow probably...got a few new plants podding up! :dance:

Devv said:
Dang all these foodies today! And I just ate lunch, puts my grilled cheese to shame.

Well done!
Great minds think alike brethren, I had a grilled cheese too ... but I spiced mine up a bit with sofrito starter, ham & chicken slices but still just a grilled cheese. Now I'm craving shrimp and I haven't a clue why ;) hehehehe

WalkGood said:
Dam you ... now I'm hungry again and I just had breakfast :D Great production Shane \o_
I seen your glog Ramon...you don't stay hungry long!

WalkGood said:
Great minds think alike brethren, I had a grilled cheese too ... but I spiced mine up a bit with sofrito starter, ham & chicken slices but still just a grilled cheese. Now I'm craving shrimp and I haven't a clue why ;) hehehehe

Devv said:
Dang all these foodies today! And I just ate lunch, puts my grilled cheese to shame.

Well done!
Haha...cheat day yesterday so I thought just like you two...with a little twist, pics to follow!

DocNrock said:
Love ceviche...check.  Love stuffed bells...check.  Both with flaming pods...awesome!  Those surprises are awesome, aren't they? 
Ceviche works so well with my diet...quick and easy too. The addition of some ripening real heat is gonna kick it up a couple notches! Still relying on store bough tomatoes though, but not for much longer. Throw a diced cuke in there too....ahhhhh. 

romy6 said:
 Really love your Glog bro!!! It is numero uno !!!!
Thanks bro...I am flattered, but you're being a bit modest, plenty of kick-arse stuff to oggle over at your glot too!

GA Growhead said:
It's good to see ripe pods already, even the first littles!
Little or not...I'll take what I can get this early! Thanks for stopping in!

Aight, final update for the weekend. Things are moving right along...this is the hardest part of the grow. Between the excitement of first pods and ripe pods is a long boring game of peek-a-boo with the plants. Won't be long and I will have some pretty good pulls. Here are some pics...
8754141459_42044404ea_k.jpg

First is Jamie's mystery X Goat's Weed...this thing is a monster. It has now overtaken its stake and ain't slowing down. Gonna repot this guy into a 10 gallon to see if it can keep climbing...

8755265488_79541d64e3_k.jpg

Here is the pod type of Pheno 1 of the cross...they all have that slight suntan at the tip...

8755276486_4b1c834ed0_k.jpg

Same pod with my hand in there for scale, pretty good size!

8754141705_e4fd52349f_k.jpg

Here is a pod on the sister plant Pheno 2 of Jamie's mystery X Goat's Weed. Little narrower, but about the same length. Another cool plant, less fuzzy and a little more bushy. Leaves are darker green and only slightly pubescent. Not too far off from the first taste of these bad boys! Will be harvesting as many seeds as I can early on just in case the virus decides to show up later on...

8755271434_d5446048cc_k.jpg

The Barrackpore is starting to set a few pods. Funny they're all modest and wanna keep their skirts on...

8755272672_93e7672655_k.jpg

This one kinda looks like a frilled lizard with its tongue out...

8754240285_88d874d650_k.jpg

Rut Roh...the Reaper has arrived!!!

8755281484_4fb8a80564_k.jpg

as has the 7 Pot White! Found this guy by accident...wasn't expecting any pods just yet...

8754136397_8d9663fea2_k.jpg

The Goat's Weed is still showing off...

8754151015_e0a4ec90ae_k.jpg

Here's another angle...the whole plant looks like this...what great plants. A must grow every year!

Maybe a bump???

stickman said:
Bump! I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...  ;)

Thanks Rick!!!

8755258882_0944b45f8d_k.jpg

The pods go from green to black then back to green before they ripen red...

8755358908_48560315e5_k.jpg

Still nothing but perdy flowers on the Manzano...they just keep dropping. Last year they did the same thing...seems they like to grow until they're content...then put on pods.

8755260964_257f915f85_k.jpg

Primo from Matt (MGold) is finally starting to open up some flowers! Gonna get that side by side of them and the Reapers!!!

8755261370_ce02a45f84_k.jpg

The Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son) has been picky too...dropping flowers by the hundreds...think this round is showing some potential. I see a few little pods trying to push through.

8754236803_d5bbdec5ad_k.jpg

Pulled another Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Rony6) today...and this one will be ready soon too. 

8754146977_a41ac587ec_k.jpg

Here's one for Pia!!!

8754507657_5ae34d7604_k.jpg

Today's harvest...Turnips, Greens and one Yellow Cardi...

8754506135_081621f83a_k.jpg

Yellow Cardi...

8755270980_ed6136b2d7_k.jpg

Yesterday's cheat lunch...Brazilian Francesinha. Turkey, Cheese, mayo and one diced Goat's Weed...put it together and grill to melt. Smothered it in a tomato based spicy sauce, cover it in cheese again...

8754157141_6ed8a7a3dc_k.jpg

Top with a fried egg...and unbelievable deliciousness!!!

Aight folks...back to the salt mines tomorrow. Hope you all had a great weekend! Lotta plant out pics to look through this week on y'all's glogs!
Shane

Nice update Shane,there are some great pics in there. The chinense definitely drop a lot of flowers early on. They seem to be pickier about ferts and especially watering. I snapped a pic of a couple spoons for you.These are average size,I have had alittle larger and smaller too.
DSCN3640.jpg

Watching your Goats Weed explode in full sun forced me to buy a black cobra I found at the nursery. I saw this thing calling my name, and my fiance wasn't there to talk me out of it. It's probably over a foot tall pretty bushed out, only $1.99! They also had really nice yellow manzanos in #1 pots covered in flowers, only $3.99. It got me thinking about how little plant growers must make if the nursery can charge that little and still offer replacements on plants that you kill.

Back