• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Cool, glad you liked them. My pleasure to get something new out there, and thanks to Tex and Denniz and EVERYBODY else that pass these seeds around.

Remember hoarding seeds hurts our hobby, share and enjoy. It is not about who has the seeds, it is about who does not, give them some seeds. Honesty and kindness will grow.

Thanks for keeping everybody up to date on your great grow Shane.

Pods everywhere! Too many for me to say I like this one or that one looks great, easier to say they all look great!

Plants are really loaded and or loading up, looking forward to the money shots!

Good job on the video! I'm a long way tolerance wise from doing that, maybe a sliver later on :D

Nice job on the review Shane... looks like you aren't ready to hand the belt off just yet! You've got me thinking I'd like to grow the Rennie's next year... right next to Lourens' Naga King Jalokia. Both got really good reviews for taste from you guys.

Dude, I'll leave the whole pods to the real men on this forum.  More power to ya...no way I could do that!

Your grow is looking fan-freakin-tastic, man!  Yellow brains everywhere.  Manzano podded up.  Huge Big Jim's.  Those shrimp tacos looked great with the cucumber salsa!  Glad I just had breakfast! 

Sorry to hear that a couple of the plants looked rough.  Sounds like you fixed em up right, though!  Keep it up, man!  I love checking in here!

Ok, ok where do I begin … let me start out by saying Happy Fathers Day brethren! Great update, I’ve been off line too much since the bump and just now saw this … breathtaking to say the least.

Manzano pod & leaf shot is very cool, love the look of the leaf as much as the look of the pod. I noticed the eggs right off the bat but I didn’t know they were ladybugs till you said so … I guess they’ll be alright as long as you don’t eat the pod ;) Super shot, you must scrutinizing them more than I, good catch mi friend. I’ve never tried the Numex, you’ll have to give another taste description, hehe and all dem Brain shots have been great … you’re on fire!

Shrimp tacos are to die for they look scrumptious and the pics are perfect! Holy crap it’s not over, the colors and look on the red Zebra is gorgeous good call ^_^

Whoa great video, while I did not enjoy watching you suffer … who am I kidding I enjoyed it, hahaha … only kidding. What I think was great was how you described the taste, wrote it up as well and did the Barrackpore, Brain, Red 7, etc. comparisons. Where many don’t take that extra step to describe it, you did an excellent job brethren and you deserve applauds :clap: as IMHO you held your composure like a man!

Big Up brethren and Happy Fathers Day again!!!

You guys that eat the whole superhots are nuts, it's going to be a while before you see me doing that. Everything is looking awesome, glad to hear that the virus hasn't shown its ugly head yet, and happy father's day!

Happy Belated Fathersday.... Pods are looking great.  The review of that Rennie was terrific.  I am looking soooooo forward to growing this out.  There isnt another review for us to judge so thanks a million for doing a great review.  OH And thanks for no spidey pics as of late..... :dance:  :dance:  :onfire:

Really. 1 hr gut burn?!! No way umma review that pod. I hate gut burn. Your barrackpore gave me gut burn and I was in agony I'm the restroom floor for 45 mins. Even after throwing up!' Nice update !!

Great review Shanster!!! I counted 136 hiccups but then again who's counting. I think the throat burn is the worst. I can deal with the mouth burn but throat/ stomach is not fun. Look forward to many more reviews  :party:

Pods are looking sweet. Love the shot with the ladybug seeds burrowed in the curls of the poddage. 

Oh and don't forget about my old pal Newtune ( Al) . He  looked  pretty cool doing a super review ;)  Even after eating a primo and Butch T minutes apart:)  That guy is not from this planet  :drooling:

Love the Manzano pics!  Mine was starting to bloom while it was indoors, but once it got planted out, it changed its mind and has been focusing on spreading out its feet and now is starting to bush out some.  Sure hope I get a pod or two  before the season ends.  Didn't start the seeds for that one until the end of December, but now I wish I had started them around Thanksgiving ... or Halloween.

The Big Jims are looking great as well!  Didn't grow that one this year, but have a few other NuMex types, such as Sandia, Cochiti, Lumbre, and Barker's Hot.  You can't have to many of them IMHO, great flavor and mild enough for the whole family. 

Well, you might not be able to eat a super and look cool, but if that pod can make a tough guy like you cry and sweat, I'm not going anywhere near it!!! Pretty sure I'd have been puking by minute 2 ...

Just caught the video.......great description on the heat and flavor........they say ya can calm the hiccups down by breathing rapidly into a small paper lunch bag. Shane you might have  needed a shopping size bag...................... :D
I had to pedal back a few pages to catch up on all the info and fun " Girls...Plants Gone Wild"....Brains and Reapers are oh so gnarly !
Thanks for the mention and the photos on the Bonnet pods, I'm glad you found use for them  in your food creations.
Never a dull moment checking out the video(s) on the garden and the pod reviews, there's always a "and now for something completely different" ...moment
You continually take this glog up another switch back in the road............cool !

PIC 1 said:
.they say ya can calm the hiccups down by breathing rapidly into a small paper lunch bag. Shane you might have  needed a shopping size bag...................... :D
 I have a great technique for getting rid of hiccups, can't say it would apply in this case....and I don't think I'm just yet willing to test it out either. Just ate some of the hot  sauce I made with Jamie's peppers...uh :hot: :dance:
BTW Pia, got something for ya on my glog...just remember I, we, all love you!

Devv said:

Oh, and there is something special for you on the video I posted back on June 9th too, Pia!     ;)

armac said:
Cool, glad you liked them. My pleasure to get something new out there, and thanks to Tex and Denniz and EVERYBODY else that pass these seeds around.

Remember hoarding seeds hurts our hobby, share and enjoy. It is not about who has the seeds, it is about who does not, give them some seeds. Honesty and kindness will grow.

Thanks for keeping everybody up to date on your great grow Shane.
I'm with ya on the hoarding bit! There is a fine line between keeping folks "up to date" and "overloaded" that I know I skate along, but there just always seems to be something new and different each time I go out there. Thanks again for pushing this cool pepper out to us! Haven't taken any pics lately, but that plant is huge and happy and loaded down with pods now...should have some more turning soon! 

Devv said:
Pods everywhere! Too many for me to say I like this one or that one looks great, easier to say they all look great!

Plants are really loaded and or loading up, looking forward to the money shots!

Good job on the video! I'm a long way tolerance wise from doing that, maybe a sliver later on :D
Thanks Scott! Things are starting to come together out there for sure...a few speed bumps that come with container growing from a distance, but all in all I can't complain...although I really want to because I think I lost my only Yellow Cardi and my only Yellow 7 is in the hurt locker!!! Ughhhh... 

Thanks for the Father's Day wishes!!!

MGOLD86 said:
Great job on the video man, cool looking pepper and it would probably make a great sauce if they are all is as tasty as that first one.  Took that badboy down like a champ!
Haha...Matt, I think the Rennie won that round for sure! Wow, was hotter than I expected being a first pod...wasn't a small pod, but it wasn't huge either. Next round off that bad boy is gonna be a different story. I didn't get my full sense of taste back for two days... 
Sauce from those pods would be amazing, you're right on point with that! A light/moderate smoking coupled with their sweet taste...a little ferment...Hmmmm, Rocketman!!! I need lessons STAT!

stickman said:
Nice job on the review Shane... looks like you aren't ready to hand the belt off just yet! You've got me thinking I'd like to grow the Rennie's next year... right next to Lourens' Naga King Jalokia. Both got really good reviews for taste from you guys.
Rick...they had freakin King Nagas at the nursery!!! Still kicking myself for not snatching one up! Don't sweat seeds...you know I got your back!

DocNrock said:
Dude, I'll leave the whole pods to the real men on this forum.  More power to ya...no way I could do that!

Your grow is looking fan-freakin-tastic, man!  Yellow brains everywhere.  Manzano podded up.  Huge Big Jim's.  Those shrimp tacos looked great with the cucumber salsa!  Glad I just had breakfast! 

Sorry to hear that a couple of the plants looked rough.  Sounds like you fixed em up right, though!  Keep it up, man!  I love checking in here!
Doc...as soon as you find some real men on here that sounds GREAT!!! Fot now, lets leave it to the village idiots! The Big Jim's are some crazy fast growing pods, the Manzono shrub is just nuts! I went bigger with the Manzano container this year...so the plant went bigger, it also podded up much earlier! Hope I can keep that thing alive over the winter and put it in the dirt somewhere. Can't imagine how huge it will get! Shrimp and fish tacos are so delicious...coupled with the fresh cucumber/bonnet salsa...ahhhh. 

We'll see on the sick ones, one looks touch and go, and the other just looks go.

roper2008 said:
Sounds like a good pepper.  May have to put that on my 2014 list.
It's a keeper for sure! I am going to attempt to isolate some seeds and do a mass distro later if things go as planned, so stay tuned!

WalkGood said:
Ok, ok where do I begin … let me start out by saying Happy Fathers Day brethren! Great update, I’ve been off line too much since the bump and just now saw this … breathtaking to say the least.

Manzano pod & leaf shot is very cool, love the look of the leaf as much as the look of the pod. I noticed the eggs right off the bat but I didn’t know they were ladybugs till you said so … I guess they’ll be alright as long as you don’t eat the pod ;) Super shot, you must scrutinizing them more than I, good catch mi friend. I’ve never tried the Numex, you’ll have to give another taste description, hehe and all dem Brain shots have been great … you’re on fire!

Shrimp tacos are to die for they look scrumptious and the pics are perfect! Holy crap it’s not over, the colors and look on the red Zebra is gorgeous good call ^_^

Whoa great video, while I did not enjoy watching you suffer … who am I kidding I enjoyed it, hahaha … only kidding. What I think was great was how you described the taste, wrote it up as well and did the Barrackpore, Brain, Red 7, etc. comparisons. Where many don’t take that extra step to describe it, you did an excellent job brethren and you deserve applauds :clap: as IMHO you held your composure like a man!

Big Up brethren and Happy Fathers Day again!!!
Thanks Ramon! The Manzano...again, I could talk about this plant for days! Not just the leaves and pods...the growth habit is completely different than other peppers too. Gets a couple FT tall then starts going sideways. Now about twice as wide as it is tall. I am using cords and stakes to try to support and get a little more vertical growth, but it wants to go out! Each fork in each branch forms what looks like a smooth shiny ball joint. The woody part of the stems throuout has a really shiny look with amazing colors too. I didn't notice those eggs until I uploaded the pics myself...but I do pick out a plant or two and sit down to give them a once over each time I go out there...I have two NUMEX (Chili Pepper Institute) varieties going. The Big Jims and the Twilights...one is really more of a pure ornamental but the Big Jim is a staple in the southwest. One of the best (also biggest holding the world record for longest pod) New Mexico style green chilis out there. Perfect flavor, touch of heat...great stuffed or in sauces...but my favorite for them it grilled/peeled/seeded and thrown on a burger or chicken sandwich. You're missing out...and should grow this one! I have an Anaheim I kept...but only had it because I hadn't found the Big Jims yet! NUMEX 6-4 is another great one and they have a huge selection of other stuff...you should check them out! Those Yellow Brains are massive, I'm not sure just how big they are can come across in the photos...I will have to do a side by side with a large egg, golfball or something so that I can show some better scale.

The Red Zebras are a winner...although their production is a little lower than I like. They are growing in a container though, so that could be part of the issue.

As far as the vid goes...I have regrouped and may do another one soon, but it takes a toll...really kinda screws up the whole system for a few days. Nothing tastes right for a few days after (I really love my morning coffee and can't even taste it). I always compare and contrast when reviewing so that folks that have tasted them can associate them with something they know...thanks for the props!

StupidJerk said:
You guys that eat the whole superhots are nuts, it's going to be a while before you see me doing that. Everything is looking awesome, glad to hear that the virus hasn't shown its ugly head yet, and happy father's day!
Yes...we are, or maybe its just too much stupid in our system. Brutal...the endorphine rush is quite amazing, but it is a hefty price! Thanks! 

Sanarda said:
Happy Belated Fathersday.... Pods are looking great.  The review of that Rennie was terrific.  I am looking soooooo forward to growing this out.  There isnt another review for us to judge so thanks a million for doing a great review.  OH And thanks for no spidey pics as of late..... :dance:  :dance:  :onfire:
Thanks Pia! Be on the lookout for seeds later on! I thought about nobody else having any reviews out yet which is part of the reason I chose it first! Exciting to be one of the first stateside to grow this one out! You're welcome on the spidy part...hahaha.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Really. 1 hr gut burn?!! No way umma review that pod. I hate gut burn. Your barrackpore gave me gut burn and I was in agony I'm the restroom floor for 45 mins. Even after throwing up!' Nice update !!
No Denniz...the gut burn did not last an hour...it started after an hour and was still effed up the next morning. Felt better after some food, but was still hurting and once that food moved on, the gut burn remained. Haha. I couldn't believe it hit me so hard even though I had eaten right before hand! Thanks brotha! 

That's if for now...gotta get back to work. Hope everyone's week is progressing nicely! I have a few pics to post later on...so be on the lookout!
Shane

JJJessee said:
I'm with Ramon, definitely applaud-worthy  :clap:  :clap:
That is one gnarly handful of yellow brains too.
Keep up the good work.
I gotta try me some of that cuke salsa!
Cuke salsa is a must! Let me know how it goes! Dunno 'bout applause, but my nose was runny enough it though it had the clap! :rofl:

romy6 said:
 Great review Shanster!!! I counted 136 hiccups but then again who's counting. I think the throat burn is the worst. I can deal with the mouth burn but throat/ stomach is not fun. Look forward to many more reviews  :party:

Pods are looking sweet. Love the shot with the ladybug seeds burrowed in the curls of the poddage. 

Oh and don't forget about my old pal Newtune ( Al) . He  looked  pretty cool doing a super review ;)  Even after eating a primo and Butch T minutes apart:)  That guy is not from this planet  :drooling:
Ok...we'll split the difference and call it 135! Throat is bad...but it's the gut that kills me...at least the throat calms down after 10 minutes...that gut bomb really sucked! Never pushed me to puke before, but I did wonder if that might be my best bet! At least one of us is looking forward to more! I have so many ladybugs and larvae everywhere, so lucky! Even just using neem last year I think really limited the friendlies. I will check out the link you sent me, I know there are some folks that can do it. We have some folks that our military pepper spray doesn't affect, so I know mutants are out there!

highalt said:
Love the Manzano pics!  Mine was starting to bloom while it was indoors, but once it got planted out, it changed its mind and has been focusing on spreading out its feet and now is starting to bush out some.  Sure hope I get a pod or two  before the season ends.  Didn't start the seeds for that one until the end of December, but now I wish I had started them around Thanksgiving ... or Halloween.

The Big Jims are looking great as well!  Didn't grow that one this year, but have a few other NuMex types, such as Sandia, Cochiti, Lumbre, and Barker's Hot.  You can't have to many of them IMHO, great flavor and mild enough for the whole family. 

Well, you might not be able to eat a super and look cool, but if that pod can make a tough guy like you cry and sweat, I'm not going anywhere near it!!! Pretty sure I'd have been puking by minute 2 ...
Yeah...thinking with your season the Pubescense may have to be overwinter projects, they should love your environment until the first freeze though. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. I am certain one way or another you'll get a pod or two this season! I too love the New Mexico chilis. They were one of the varieties that the virus flat out killed last year, and while they lasted the pods were small and stunted. Looks like even just the two plants I have plus the one Anaheim and Poblano will keep me in the stuffing peppers this year. You'd be surprised what you can do Bonnie...I'd be willing to bet you could put a super away, and maybe better than I can! The "fairer" sex is said to have a higher tolerance for pain than the knuckle dragging idiots of the species!

PIC 1 said:
Just caught the video.......great description on the heat and flavor........they say ya can calm the hiccups down by breathing rapidly into a small paper lunch bag. Shane you might have  needed a shopping size bag...................... :D
I had to pedal back a few pages to catch up on all the info and fun " Girls...Plants Gone Wild"....Brains and Reapers are oh so gnarly !
Thanks for the mention and the photos on the Bonnet pods, I'm glad you found use for them  in your food creations.
Never a dull moment checking out the video(s) on the garden and the pod reviews, there's always a "and now for something completely different" ...moment
You continually take this glog up another switch back in the road............cool !
Greg!!!!!!! Good to see you my friend! I already look uncool enough with sweat and snot all over my face...not to mention a bit of napkin. Breathing into a bag would make me look like a STUD! :rofl: Thanks for the compliments on the pods. The Reapers are looking more like the bhutish phenotype which is a bummer. No need to thank me for giving you the props you deserve buddy! You sent me the seeds for crying out loud! I am scatterbrained and a tinkerer so I am always doing/trying something different. I wish my OCD carried over in the neatness category! Ha! 

Devv said:
 I have a great technique for getting rid of hiccups, can't say it would apply in this case....and I don't think I'm just yet willing to test it out either. Just ate some of the hot  sauce I made with Jamie's peppers...uh 

highalt said:

Oh, and there is something special for you on the video I posted back on June 9th too, Pia!     
Haha, you two better lay off Pia or she'll just quit visiting us!  :rofl:

Pics to come later on tonight...gotta go play some softball! Dang emoticon police caught me trying to sneak in a few extra bits of fun...I'm such a delinquent!

Well, my Mom used to tell me when my big sisters would pick on me, "They wouldn't pick on you if they didn't like you."  So there ya' go, we are just showing Pia some love.    ;)

BTW, Shane, found another pod on "The"  Fatalii this morning, and this one's got a point on it.   Guess it might be yours after all!   :rofl:   Sorry no camera with me today.  I'll try to get a pick of it soon.

Back