• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

highalt said:
Well, my Mom used to tell me when my big sisters would pick on me, "They wouldn't pick on you if they didn't like you."  So there ya' go, we are just showing Pia some love.    ;)

BTW, Shane, found another pod on "The"  Fatalii this morning, and this one's got a point on it.   Guess it might be yours after all!   :rofl:   Sorry no camera with me today.  I'll try to get a pick of it soon.
You are so mean Bonnie! Glad to hear the Fatalii paternity test is looking more favorable! Same seed batch...and mine looks true as can be. Fingers crossed for some pointy yellow goodness on your end!

So I made it home yesterday...just so happened I had to teach a lesson very close to my house, and it was my 19th anniversary! Seems like 19 minutes...under water! :rofl: Just kidding! My wife really is the greatest thing that ever happened to me! She promptly ran off to her boxing class...so I got to take a few snaps!
bNW2tuA.jpg

First off...this is my poor Yellow Cardi Scorpion. I dunno if its gonna make it. Fresh soil and some shade...we'll see. I'll give it about a 20% chance of pullling out of it.

86iZnxt.jpg

7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr) podding up...did a review on this one last year, worst throat burn EVER!!!

nI4zhy7.jpg

The Romy Mystery X Goat's Weed is really rocking! Still growing like a weed and putting out crazy numbers of pods. These little "annuum" pods have a touch of chinense flavor and are hands down the hottest Annuums I have ever tried! 

28jSoOi.jpg

Here is the teacher's pet Manzano, hundreds of pods on this one plant...

BdKqYlG.jpg

Hard to show how big it is...it is dwarfing the 18 gallon tote. Well over 5' tall and over 6' wide. 

tmOkqpV.jpg

Here is the hedge row...

37lJuTf.jpg

Goat's Weed...

nXP41Zw.jpg

NUMEX Centennial...Yellow Brain behind to the left and 7 Pot Rennie to the right...

AKKzYVO.jpg

Yellow Aji from Peru (PaulG)

EhbM3ZI.jpg

...oh and this is just one of those plants Greg (Pic1) doesn't want credit for...Belize City Scotch Bonnet. What a freaking rock star!

I got more to post, but will have to wait until tomorrow. In spite of a couple sick ones...I got no real complaints! Hope your weeks are shaping up nicely! 
Shane

stc3248 said:
… So I made it home yesterday...just so happened I had to teach a lesson very close to my house, and it was my 19th anniversary! Seems like 19 minutes...under water! Just kidding! My wife really is the greatest thing that ever happened to me! She promptly ran off to her boxing class …
Congratulations & Big Up to the two of you … we made 19 in March as well
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
I hope you guys had a wonderful celebration \o/

stc3248 said:
First off...this is my poor Yellow Cardi Scorpion. I dunno if its gonna make it. Fresh soil and some shade...we'll see. I'll give it about a 20% chance of pullling out of it.
First off “Oh the horror,” I’m so sad and feel your pain :/ Second off, remember when you told me my old JA Hab would make it, well it did and I believe yours will too. It’s all about time, plenty of shade, water, what the heck you know better than I … and a little TLC!

stc3248 said:
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr) podding up...did a review on this one last year, worst throat burn EVER!!!
You must have enjoyed that throat burn as you grew her again and her pods look frightening in a wonderful way, you da mon!
  • Jamie’s mystery X Goat’s Weed looks wonderful, you have dat gree thumb brethren, she looks like she’ll give you hundreds thousands of pods dis season. And your heat picante description sounds very inviting.
  • You are kicking azz on your Manzaon, the picture looks awesome and I’m glad you described the dimensions cause your right it’s hard to tell how huge you have gotten her, hats off mon!
  • Whoa that hedge row is getting tall and nicely bushing out, you’re doing a great job and I love the color pots
  • Super picture of the Goat's Weed with natural back lighting from mama sun ^_^ What did you do to the NUMEX Centennial picture, looks like the colors are clocked up unnaturally?
  • Dat Yellow Aji from Peru (PaulG) looks very interesting, I would love to try that and I’ll be looking for a taste description from you when you eat one ^_^
  • You know how I feel about your Belize City Scotch Bonnet from Greg! But I think you got it wrong, she’s looking marvelous and you my friend are the rock star, great job!!!
I’ll be looking for your “more to post” and once again I hope you had an awesome anniversary celebration [SIZE=12pt]
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
[/SIZE]

StupidJerk said:
That manzano is amazing! And the mystery x goats weed! I think that an effort to stabilize that strain is in order.
I am saving seeds like crazy!!! Hahaha...The first pods on this plant were the first pods to set, so they'll be true and I am saving all the seeds. The pods are seedy, like a goat's weed so 10 pods should give me well over 500 seeds to divvy up...I may save twice that I dunno...then maybe another growdown next season??? Hmmmmm...

WalkGood said:
Congratulations & Big Up to the two of you … we made 19 in March as well
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
I hope you guys had a wonderful celebration \o/

First off “Oh the horror,” I’m so sad and feel your pain :/ Second off, remember when you told me my old JA Hab would make it, well it did and I believe yours will too. It’s all about time, plenty of shade, water, what the heck you know better than I … and a little TLC!

You must have enjoyed that throat burn as you grew her again and her pods look frightening in a wonderful way, you da mon!
  • Jamie’s mystery X Goat’s Weed looks wonderful, you have dat gree thumb brethren, she looks like she’ll give you hundreds thousands of pods dis season. And your heat picante description sounds very inviting.
  • You are kicking azz on your Manzaon, the picture looks awesome and I’m glad you described the dimensions cause your right it’s hard to tell how huge you have gotten her, hats off mon!
  • Whoa that hedge row is getting tall and nicely bushing out, you’re doing a great job and I love the color pots
  • Super picture of the Goat's Weed with natural back lighting from mama sun ^_^ What did you do to the NUMEX Centennial picture, looks like the colors are clocked up unnaturally?
  • Dat Yellow Aji from Peru (PaulG) looks very interesting, I would love to try that and I’ll be looking for a taste description from you when you eat one ^_^
  • You know how I feel about your Belize City Scotch Bonnet from Greg! But I think you got it wrong, she’s looking marvelous and you my friend are the rock star, great job!!!
I’ll be looking for your “more to post” and once again I hope you had an awesome anniversary celebration [SIZE=12pt]
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
[/SIZE]

I hope you're right about the YCS...hard to get a plant to pull out if its root rot. We'll see...I may end up stripping her pods this weekend.  That mystery will produce at least 1000 pods at this rate, but they sure are slow to ripen. Maybe July-September will speed them up some! I need to do some scale photos of that Manzano...maybe a top down shot. The colors on the NUMEX Twilight are true. I did mess with the contrast to push the darks back a little and pull the brights forward which makes it looks like color overload...that's how it looks in person though! That Aji is a really cool plant too! Taste description coming right up as soon as they ripen! The BCB is another crazy cool plant...unbelievable production!

Congrats on your 19 Ramon!!!

PIC 1 said:
Aha..................I will kindly accept credit for a victorious plant...........no losses though.....keep up the great grow !
Nice hedge of girls, what size are those colorful pots ?
That Goat's Weed is just frick'en nutz...
Thanks Greg...The colored pots are 15"...so maybe a little over 10#. The Goat's Weed is taking on that look you love...with an unnatural contrast between the gray-green/black/and fire engine red...

GA Growhead said:
Plants are getting huge! And loaded with pods!
Hope that yellow CARDI makes it!
Thanks...me too. One of my favs...another fav is the Yellow 7...ughhh such close flavor profiles and both going down would be tragic!

Okay, gotta get back to writing this syllabus . . . but keep going back and looking at the Teacher's Pet Manzano. Uh, mmm, uh. YUM?! I fear I planted mine in too much slight shade but honey, mmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmm! Any pods for say sending to a shorter-seasoned chick if hersn don make dem?? If I pay you REALLY well? :rolleyes: :rofl: Seriously, hope and think, CARDI gonna come through JUST fine. You can do bring her back, Shane! (Echoing Ramon, I know; WE really think ya can! Hoping for it!)

Sorry about the Yellow Cardi Scorpion, how long did it take with wet roots for this to happen?

Hopefully she'll pull through!

For being away all week I say bravo! To your grow, adds twice the challenge.

Kind of worried that the ones closer to the bubblers are staying too wet, will adjust...

All in all I'd say you're kickin' ass my friend!

Manzano's loaded..Belize City Scotch Bonnet...sh!t, pod city...lovin it!

stc3248 said:
I am saving seeds like crazy!!! Hahaha...The first pods on this plant were the first pods to set, so they'll be true and I am saving all the seeds. The pods are seedy, like a goat's weed so 10 pods should give me well over 500 seeds to divvy up...I may save twice that I dunno...then maybe another growdown next season??? Hmmmmm...
A growdown of an unstable strain actually sounds like a great idea, it would add a little bit of randomness to the competition and really help to select the best candidates for the f3 generation. I'm in to grow out a few of them.

annie57 said:
Okay, gotta get back to writing this syllabus . . . but keep going back and looking at the Teacher's Pet Manzano. Uh, mmm, uh. YUM?! I fear I planted mine in too much slight shade but honey, mmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmm! Any pods for say sending to a shorter-seasoned chick if hersn don make dem?? If I pay you REALLY well? :rolleyes: :rofl: Seriously, hope and think, CARDI gonna come through JUST fine. You can do bring her back, Shane! (Echoing Ramon, I know; WE really think ya can! Hoping for it!)
You know what's mine is yours lady!!! I may even be inclined to pick up a couple Lbs to ship you if''n you can't get them there!!! Dunno about that Cardi, not looking good, no sign of recovery yet.

millworkman said:
WOW, that cross just keeps getting better.  Great stuff Shane!
It's a great plant for sure...can't get over how damn hot they are! I keep thinking I am a punk because I have eaten a few with my lunch and they're no joke!

Devv said:
Sorry about the Yellow Cardi Scorpion, how long did it take with wet roots for this to happen?

Hopefully she'll pull through!

For being away all week I say bravo! To your grow, adds twice the challenge.

Kind of worried that the ones closer to the bubblers are staying too wet, will adjust...

All in all I'd say you're kickin' ass my friend!

Manzano's loaded..Belize City Scotch Bonnet...sh!t, pod city...lovin it!
You know Scott...no longer sure that's what the problem was. The two plants were neighbors and now their neighbors are not looking too hot. Ughhh...hope it's all in my head. It's not the same problem I had last year though so hopefully that's a bonus. I have stripped most of the pods off her and we shall see...

WalkGood said:
Dam I'm all out of "like this" again ... here's 5 and a few extra for the last 5 posters ... I kept clicking and nada :/

You sure do go through them likes brotha!

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great man, those are some nasty pods you got forming on those badboys.  The Monster Infinity (right pod) is freaking gnarly.  I thought it was two pods at first!
That one is gonna be trouble! It has a few pods putting some size on now...so it won't be too long before I find out!

StupidJerk said:
A growdown of an unstable strain actually sounds like a great idea, it would add a little bit of randomness to the competition and really help to select the best candidates for the f3 generation. I'm in to grow out a few of them.
I was thinking the same thing!!! with the caveat that I get seeds back from folks with good pheno types! BAM! Distro those one more time, and before you know it we got a stable cross of awesomeness!!!

I got a ton of pics...even some left from last week that I never posted...so I will throw a few up here and there when I catch a break like NOW!!!
8W3ZvHf.jpg

Some of the P-Son's Freakin Indian Carbons are coloring up!!!

AiWS7OS.jpg

Most are smallish...but this one is Aight! Hmmm...next review???

or...
X5PhYqe.jpg

Maybe it'll be one of these Morugas...Hmmmm. I pulled a few of these last night, so maybe it'll be this one. I gotta do this one with one of the smallish first pods...not punking out, but not dumb either!

crbYxLS.jpg

Think I figured out my one and only Mystery this season! This plant sprouted from a peat pellet that I had given up on and tossed on the compost heap. I went out to throw some coffee grounds on there and there was a seedling popping out of the side of a pellet. The first pods on my Barrackpore were the only ones that skirted up like this so I'm pretty sure that's what it is which is awesome! 

Here are a few pods on the other Barrackpore...
tYAromK.jpg

6xzRWQo.jpg

cHXN5LM.jpg

UDizPgc.jpg

I think the a few of the 7 Pot Whites are done cooking! They're a cream color.

vBFk5O5.jpg

Large Grade A Yellow Brain along side a Large Grade A Egg!!!

pFNgbKF.jpg

Same Grade A Egg with some more Grade A Yellow Brains!!!

It for now...will be back later. Gotta take mama to lunch for her B-Day!!!

Thanks for checking in!
Shane

Dang Shane!

Huge Yellow Brains and that plants way loaded!

The Moruga's are loaded too!

The Barrackpore's and Freakin Indian Carbons are super gnarly..

Great update!

Hopefully the part about in your head is correct...

All looking mighty good, Shane. From what I've experienced last season when growing the 7 White, they do turn white eventually but always keep this cream color. The one on your picture looks unripe to me but that could be the light input, it's hard to get the true white color on picture.

IMAG0629_.jpg

stc3248 said:
… Dunno about that Cardi, not looking good, no sign of recovery yet. …
A sharp guy once told me “give her time,” come to think of about it, it was you ^_^

stc3248 said:
You sure do go through them likes brotha!
Just trying to spread da Pepper Love, not like I can take dem to the bank and my guess is use or loose. Besides I learned from da best you, Greg, Jamie, Annie, Devv and many other great peeps here spreading dem round & round, yea I know that song sucks, hahaha

stc3248 said:
… with the caveat that I get seeds back from folks with good pheno types! …
MoA & JA Hab coming your way soon ^_^

stc3248 said:
I got a ton of pics...even some left from last week that I never posted...so I will throw a few up here and there …
Now I need to start doing it that way, I typically throw up what I shot the same day, smart on you brethren.

stc3248 said:
Think I figured out my one and only Mystery this season! This plant sprouted from a peat pellet that I had given up on and tossed on the compost heap. I went out to throw some coffee grounds on there and there was a seeling poping out of the side of a pellet. The first pods on my Barrackpore were the only ones that skirted up like this so I'm pretty sure that's what it is which is awesome!
Cool, always great to figure out a mystery, can’t wait to see it jump!

All the plants look very good, you’re way ahead of most, heck even me … I love the egg compare idea, sure beats a golf ball hahaha on me. Have a great weekend or what’s left :)

Devv said:
Dang Shane!

Huge Yellow Brains and that plants way loaded!

The Moruga's are loaded too!

The Barrackpore's and Freakin Indian Carbons are super gnarly..

Great update!

Hopefully the part about in your head is correct...
Thanks Scott! Things are loading up fo-sho! I am a lucky guy...gotta see past the couple sick ones at all the good stuff out there!

meatfreak said:
All looking mighty good, Shane. From what I've experienced last season when growing the 7 White, they do turn white eventually but always keep this cream color. The one on your picture looks unripe to me but that could be the light input, it's hard to get the true white color on picture.

Thanks! There are a couple on there that are almost that light, but I think I'll let them cook another week or so. No hurry right! How is the flavor on those bad boys?

WalkGood said:
A sharp guy once told me “give her time,” come to think of about it, it was you ^_^

Just trying to spread da Pepper Love, not like I can take dem to the bank and my guess is use or loose. Besides I learned from da best you, Greg, Jamie, Annie, Devv and many other great peeps here spreading dem round & round, yea I know that song sucks, hahaha

MoA & JA Hab coming your way soon ^_^

Now I need to start doing it that way, I typically throw up what I shot the same day, smart on you brethren.

Cool, always great to figure out a mystery, can’t wait to see it jump!

All the plants look very good, you’re way ahead of most, heck even me … I love the egg compare idea, sure beats a golf ball hahaha on me. Have a great weekend or what’s left :)
Yeah...I will give them as much time as I can. I leave for NC in a week and a half, they'll have to be back on an irrigation system of some sort before then. Ramon's Seed Bank...I like it! I would stay overdrawn for sure! I got your seeds ready too...PM your addy and I will get them out to you! I always run out of time with the pics...and usually just save a few to post during the week while I am at work. Pretty sure I have that one ID'd time will tell...the Barrackpore was the only one to pod up like that! I am stoked because I kept two each of several of my favorite powdering pods, but only ended up with the one Barrackpore...good karma I suppose! Golf balls are the standard comparison...or a quarter. I had eggs...so I used them! Hahaha. Thanks for the props brutha!

Pr0digal_son said:
Unreal Shane! You have atleast 5 months to go too. That manzano is a beautiful specimen.
Thanks John...I think the only of your varieties I haven't snapped pics of is the Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab...and it's podding up now, so soon! 

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
So close. ( Escondido HoJo). Now to convince family to pass by and see Shane's haven
Haha...the yard sure ain't ready for a visit right now. I got a ton of work to do out there, but mama commented today that I never get it done because I walk outside and get all OCD about the plants.  :rofl:

Picked up a couple bags of perlite today and plan to add some to the ones that are getting too much water. I also gave a foliar feed of aspirin/epsom salts to everything today. Hope the boost in their immune system will help them shake whatever is ailing them. I also moved my Yellow Aji to a shadier location, a little direct sun here and there, but filtered tree shade most of the day. It was looking rough too. One of the Primos from Coheed is under the weather as well...

Here are other Primos...
RYL8kLF.jpg

This one from Matt (Mgold) via PaulG...

BmvvOpF.jpg

These are on another plant from Vincent's (coheed) seeds...

7A6PzxR.jpg

Here is a bad, bad boy...first time growing them. Douglah (P-son)

Few more Indian Carbons (P-son)
KBOs73y.jpg

OOVBjQr.jpg

AI1YjXF.jpg

Here is my Manzano...I know some of y'all saw this pic over on the growdown thread. I am over 6' tall for reference.

cBxDLOY.jpg

Another growdown pic...My trio of in ground Birgits for the contest get Porter's grin of approval!

uWcg9vP.jpg

This guy chose tomato for his final supper...Rest in Pieces Mr. Hornworm. Found four of these bastages out there yesterday! Ughhh...

and a couple of these...
ocsNCXy.jpg

Hornworm egg on my largest Birgit's Locoto...I scrambled it.

zpvNIFl.jpg

Here is Friday's pull...The upper left are all the pods that were close enough to done on the Yellow Cardi to harvest...I pulled twice that many today. Some ripening, but most were still green. 

Hopefully the new soil, some shade and that dose of aspirin will do the trick and I will start to see some new growth soon. Just a glimmer of hope please!
I may post again tomorrow...but I really need to do some real work around here. I also have a little Manzano plant that was a left over...not too healthy, and was left to die in the grow room for almost a month after the lights had been shut down with no light and no water. I went in there to straighten up a few weeks ago and it was still holding on to life, but barely. I decided if it wanted to give it a go that bad I may as well give her a chance. I set her on the front (north) porch and watered it...It went from 100% indirect light the first weekend...to about 3 hours of direct sun last weekend...then on Tuesday I moved it to a spot that gets about 6hrs direct sun. Every time I turned up the heat I expected to come home to find it burned up and dead. It's not on a water system so it only gets watered when I am home....its now growing and in full swing! Haha...haven't decided where to put it yet, but its getting some real dirt! Now...I usually refer to my plants as "he" but this one is a female for sure! Never met a man that damn hard headed and determined to prove me wrong!

Hope y'all are having a stellar weekend folks!
Shane

Damn Shane....what an awesome garden grows your way.

Awesome pod review, that guy burn (more pain than burn) is what stops me most times from eating super hots whole/halved.....pieces lol it just destroys me and is no fun. The mouth/throat burn, now that's tolerable.

Super sexy pic of the Numex Centennial. So much awesome going on there. The Brigit's....it's alright...a little short if you ask me, I heard pruning it down to the base helps that.

Pods pods pods pods, glad to see the garden doing well for you this year! Have a great Sunday, I'll be tackling a 40 mile bike ride....good bye thighs hello ice packs!

Back