• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Amazing Reaper shot Shane!  Really sick looking pod!  Hope the weather holds out for ya and the plants manage the heat well, worse case, they get some stress and the pods go nuclear! 

Great update, Shane!  Looks like the heatwave gave you a wave of ripening, as well.  That elongated Brain looks deadly.  Enjoy your trip and Happy 4th!

Awesome ... Love the pods and the harvest. What size are your amazing technicolour containers you are growing the goods in again??
I must admit every time I see pictures of the "yellow brain" on anyone's glog I can't help but think they are identical to THSC's version of the Yellow 7 pot Pod. Anyway I digress ... Fantastic updates ...

wow, those were amazing harvest shots - beautiful. Loved those big yellow brains. 
I also enjoyed your video review - "I've said this before, there's just no way you can look cool while eating one of these things..." I loved it.

Shane.. i was told to keep the BG longer to see if it bleeds.. i have a little bleeding on mine and will let it sit longer....if not still hella cool pod

MGOLD86 said:
I know you're on vacation, but you should have a webcam hooked up monitoring your garden 24/7. That way you can take screen shots and post the pics.

There is no excuse.

LOL, yeah but he'd probably be obsessing thinking every little shadow was a Hornworm attacking.

Have a great trip Shane!

WalkGood said:
Amazing harvest \o/

Have a great trip & you will be missed ^_^
Thanks brotha! You have a safe one as well!

PepTalk said:
That may b one ugly pep, but I'd hit it!

NC eh, I may be crossing path's wit ya, going To SC Fri.   Look'n for some Killer BBQ and fun times in Myrtle Beach.
Hope that bad boy's ripe when I get back! How was you SC trip?

Spicegeist said:
Haha!!! One tough looking pod fo-sho!

MGOLD86 said:
Amazing Reaper shot Shane!  Really sick looking pod!  Hope the weather holds out for ya and the plants manage the heat well, worse case, they get some stress and the pods go nuclear!
Thanks Matt! Hope can't wait to get better reception...no wi-fi here and banished to my phone. Can't wai to get back to my puter! Some crazy hot pods are cookin this season...

DocNrock said:
Great update, Shane!  Looks like the heatwave gave you a wave of ripening, as well.  That elongated Brain looks deadly.  Enjoy your trip and Happy 4th!
Yeah, timing was not good...pepper prime time is going on and I am gone!

Trippa said:
Awesome ... Love the pods and the harvest. What size are your amazing technicolour containers you are growing the goods in again??
I must admit every time I see pictures of the "yellow brain" on anyone's glog I can't help but think they are identical to THSC's version of the Yellow 7 pot Pod. Anyway I digress ... Fantastic updates ...
Thanks! The containers were mama's idea. I dunno if the yellow brains/7pots are the same or not...but I sure do like 'em! The pots are 15" or 10 gallon...ish.
Pulpiteer said:
wow, those were amazing harvest shots - beautiful. Loved those big yellow brains. 
I also enjoyed your video review - "I've said this before, there's just no way you can look cool while eating one of these things..." I loved it.
Thanks Andy! Glad you "enjoyed" it...that makes one of us! Haha...can't wait to see you get back up on that "brain" horse!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Shane.. i was told to keep the BG longer to see if it bleeds.. i have a little bleeding on mine and will let it sit longer....if not still hella cool pod
I left a few ripe ones on her to see if they bleed...if they don't do it before I get back I don't think they will...still one of my largest plants in spite of the late start!

Pr0digal_son said:
I was thinking the same thing. Or the mask from the Scream movies.
Haha...I thought the mask thing too and used it to make a face for a "reaper" over on the community reaper thread.

MGOLD86 said:
I know you're on vacation, but you should have a webcam hooked up monitoring your garden 24/7. That way you can take screen shots and post the pics.
There is no excuse.
Soon youngun...then y'all will be tired of all my pics again!!!
U
Devv said:
LOL! I second that!

Nice harvest there Shane!
Thanks Scott! Home soon brudda!
WalkGood said:
Still away and now I'm going away but I got your package out yesterday, hope you grow some mean looking MoA's next season. Every ting still looking Irie here mon, hope you are having a good great trip ^_^
Can't wait! Should be there when I get home on Friday! Woot! Gonna be hard not to start some! Have a great trip mon!
Bill...
Thanks! Sure am home...I mean plant sick! Speaking of plant sick...for the first time I thought I saw signs of that damn virus right before I left...really hope it was all in my head. It was on the Indian Carbon. Am hoping it was just a funky bit of sun scald...fingers crossed.w

Jamie...
I got pics bro...you know me! No way to post the damn things! Plus...only so many rain pics I can post! This east coast stuff is fo-da-birds!

Haha...stand by for update overload in a couple days errybody! Blame any typos or stuff that doesn't make sense on the phone and autocorrect! See more of y'all real soon!
Shane

stc3248 said:
Hope that bad boy's ripe when I get back! How was you SC trip?
The trip was short and sweet ( attended a bat Mizvah )  for family friends kid.  Coincided with July 4th weekend so that was kinda cool.
I had a chance to hit a Hot sauce shop in Myrtle Beach ( Pepper Palace ), my second time there. I picked up a few of their products.  

Stopped in Shulers BBQ on 38 for some Homecooked grub. Best Ribs in SC.    I dont know how those southerners eat like that every day! I'd be 300 pounds.

All in all a good quick Vacation, looking forward to going back.

So.... how are the Peps coming along?   Hows my Babe  "Ugly Betty"

I'm home Errybody!!! I'm happier than a camel on hump day!
Haha! Everything that was looking good before I left...looks just as good now or better so no complaints! I have no idea what the funk some of them are coming down with is, but the sick ones still look sick. Oh well...I still have way to much awesome going on to complain!

Here are some pics from today...
vSOqq67.jpg

First off...I got two amazing care packages!!! One from Ramon including some JA Hab powder and Seeds for both the Jamaican Red Habs and the infamous MOA Bonnets!!! :party:  I also received a plant from ????????? I think it's from J (GA Growhead) but I ain't sure??? Also not sure what it is...but it looks to be a Wild Brazil!!! :dance:  The plant looked amazing and arrived just after we walked in the front door from our trip so the timing was perfect! I got that bad boy into some new 5# shoes soaking up some Socal sun.

zjelI11.jpg

How bout some ripe Morugas...

fK0Tf4x.jpg

Or some ripe Yellow Billy Boy Douglahs???

5NXWc0v.jpg

Or how bout some Fataliis???

qJNRNKZ.jpg

Belize City Bonnets???

Jh6Z7N8.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnets???

48SMdJY.jpg

Romy Mystery X Goat's Weed???

wtgaLLK.jpg

Yellow Brains???

KPhbaoy.jpg

Ohhh....not quite ready, but getting scary for sure! Monster Infinity...

iEGzd4P.jpg

Or a Charapita Yellow....Gonna pop one of these in the morning to see what's up! 

I have a bunch of picking to do out there...and more ripe ones to show, but I am gonna try to show restraint and post a few each day this weekend....gonna be tough though, so stand by for bump action just in case. No more today though...

Happy growing y'all!
Shane

PepTalk said:
The trip was short and sweet ( attended a bat Mizvah )  for family friends kid.  Coincided with July 4th weekend so that was kinda cool.
I had a chance to hit a Hot sauce shop in Myrtle Beach ( Pepper Palace ), my second time here. I picked up a few of their products.  

Stopped in Shulers BBQ on 38 for some Homecooked grub. Best Ribs in SC.    I dont know how those southerners eat like that every day! I'd be 300 pounds.

All in all a good quick Vacation, looking forward to going back.

So.... how are the Peps coming along?   Hows my Babe  "Ugly Betty"
Oh...she's ripe and screaming for a taste test!

Nice plants STC, very nice.   You got more heat than Mt Kilauea.  

Im kinda partial to Fatali's but those Belize City Bonnets are looking Righteous! 

stc3248 said:
5NXWc0v.jpg

Or how bout some Fataliis???
Oh man - those look great! Looks like they grew true for you. Awesome!

Those are some wonderful pepper pics you've got going on there. Glad things survived the trip so well.

I'm also happy for your daughter's boyfriend. He was in charge of keeping them alive, right? I can't imagine. Being in charge of my girlfriend's father's peppers while he was gone, and he had lots of guns... Good for him!

Back