• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Whooohoooo your garden is going awesome Shanarooonie! Very jealous of the ripe pods sucka! Soon enough, soon enough...I pulled a 'peno off of a plant way early that had zero heat and tasted like grass....lmao yuck. The ride went well, 10K in 2 days! We need some of your hot whether to kick our boys and girls into action. Keep it up buddy! "Shiver".....that reaper looks devilish....yes sir. Have a good weekend Shane.

Great pod color, my friend!  Pretty exciting   :woohoo:
Imagine what will happen in two weeks!

Both Manzano and Rodoto plants are growing like crazy.
Lots of flowers and dropped pods.  We are in for a a shot of
90+ days, then back down to 80's and then 70's.  The habs
seem to dig the sun, the supers not so much.  If I remember the
Goat's Weed liked a little shade as well last year.

I'll second that emotion Shane! This must be the most difficult time to have to peel away from the garden... Things are coloring up and the bad guys are threating them. I hope you did a good enough job training the perimeter guards... ;)

Wow small world! I'm actually in stafford, my mailing address is listed as fredericksburg and its more known so I used that.

Accident in 88 Deer related I assume? And that was the year I was born. Maybe you helped me reincarnate lol jk.

Everything lookings great, treelike in some cases. Must be loving the season out there!

It's time! The random harvesting is over. Enjoy it for the next month,after that it becomes work. haha Did you take seeds for the Indian Carbon out of the pods I sent? They are looking alittle different than mine.

I have a plant from Jamie's seed that looks like the Goat cross that is furry. At some point I am going to send you some pics and see what you think. Take care bro.

WalkGood said:
Hola Shane hope all is set for your trip and that you don’t worry much, gotta train the family while papa’s away, hehe. I’m doing the same with both kids and wife now for I’ll be out of touch for 5 days next month. Thing that gotz me worried is the hornworms, I’ve never seen it this bad for years there’s only one or two and now I’ve nailed dozens plus 100 eggs plus by now. Just killed another one and a few eggs this morning, I see another one bites the dust at your place too, I hate dem too brethren.

I see your plants & pods are kicking azz but that Indian Carbon … mon what a beauty! Take care and try not to worry, it drives me crazy thinking about it.

Have a great weekend!
Fam all going with me...gotta trust the daughter's boyfriend...ughhh. The plants are super stressed right now. I leave them to cook for 5 days in the heat and come home to try to bring them around again only to leave just as they start to look better. I think We're only going to spend 9 days out of town, fingers crossed they hold up for me! I have killed a bunch myself, but haven't found any yet this weekend...doesn't mean they're not out there though. I will break out the black light a couple nights before we leave and give them a good once over. 

The IC is a great plant...kinda struggling with the recent heat a bit, but still setting a few. Thanks for lookin in!

MGOLD86 said:
Lookin great Shane! Super healthy looking plants and some sick pods you got there! Can you save me a few Rennie and monster infinity seeds?? Those pods are just upper sick and I think they would make a great addition to my garden next year!
Thanks Matt...I got some good ones and some bad. I will save whatever seeds I can...the Rennie ain't lookin so hot these days. Moved her to a shady spot I think she was just cooking where she was at. I got two monster Infinities going and the one I haven't pictured yet is going to put out some crazy pod shapes...pic to follow.

Devv said:
Everything's looking stellar!

Gonna be lots of pods rolling in soon, is your family going to pick for you?

Dang hornworms, they're starting to show up here too..
Thanks Scott...should be ok without picking. I will harvest everything that's close before I leave and should have a killer harvest when I get home. Those hornworms are a real pest. I hate them almost as much as aphids!!! Really pisses me off when I find half munched pods!

3/5King said:
Whooohoooo your garden is going awesome Shanarooonie! Very jealous of the ripe pods sucka! Soon enough, soon enough...I pulled a 'peno off of a plant way early that had zero heat and tasted like grass....lmao yuck. The ride went well, 10K in 2 days! We need some of your hot whether to kick our boys and girls into action. Keep it up buddy! "Shiver".....that reaper looks devilish....yes sir. Have a good weekend Shane.
Thanks Dave!!! Don't be hating! You ain't far behind brother. By the time you read this you'll have that 10k under your belt!!! I do the same with the early pods...just can't wait for them to finish. Fill us all in on that run once you've whooped it!

PaulG said:
Great pod color, my friend!  Pretty exciting   :woohoo:
Imagine what will happen in two weeks!

Both Manzano and Rodoto plants are growing like crazy.
Lots of flowers and dropped pods.  We are in for a a shot of
90+ days, then back down to 80's and then 70's.  The habs
seem to dig the sun, the supers not so much.  If I remember the
Goat's Weed liked a little shade as well last year.
Thanks Paul! Them damn pubes do that. Everything has to be just so then BAM!!! Pods galore...only problem is in most US climates by the time BAM comes it's almost too late to ripen any! My Goat's weed can cook all day...as can some of the supers. Others just ain't too happy about my latitude right now. I am doing my best to shuffle things around to give them all the best shot I can.

stickman said:
I'll second that emotion Shane! This must be the most difficult time to have to peel away from the garden... Things are coloring up and the bad guys are threating them. I hope you did a good enough job training the perimeter guards... ;)
Yeah...timing couldn't be worse. Heat of summer tons of pods knocking on the door and I gotta pack and get out of town. Oh well...something will still be kicking when I get home, otherwise the damn hornworms will starve! 

Peptacular said:
Wow small world! I'm actually in stafford, my mailing address is listed as fredericksburg and its more known so I used that.

Accident in 88 Deer related I assume? And that was the year I was born. Maybe you helped me reincarnate lol jk.

Everything lookings great, treelike in some cases. Must be loving the season out there!
Haha...yeah, I graduated from North Stafford in '89. The accident was not deer related. Idiot pulled out of Taco Bell in front of my and I slammed on brakes the drunk fireman behind me didn't slam on breaks and his '73 jacked up Chevy climbed all the way on top of my little Dodge Shadow. Thanks man!

JJJessee said:
That Goat's Weed is lookin' FREE-KIN AWESOME!
You've  got a sensational grow going, despite the juggling act of keeping it going long distance and all.
Hatz Off !
She sure is perdy...I got one too many balls in the air right now though! The Goat's Weed and the Wilds just kinda take care of themselves, seems like they thrive on neglect. 

Pr0digal_son said:
It's time! The random harvesting is over. Enjoy it for the next month,after that it becomes work. haha Did you take seeds for the Indian Carbon out of the pods I sent? They are looking alittle different than mine.

I have a plant from Jamie's seed that looks like the Goat cross that is furry. At some point I am going to send you some pics and see what you think. Take care bro.
Thanks John...the numbers are on the rise for sure, the grow is knocking on the door. They were either from saved seeds or seeds you sent...can't remember??? Most of the pods are the "first to set" type right now...hopefully the next round to set will be gnarled out and spikey...if not so be it, as long as they taste good!

So I got a couple more that are hurting a bit out there as mentioned. I think it has to do with the heat more than anything. I pulled two more to a shady spot  to see if they can recuperate a bit. One is a Primo plant (1 of 4 no biggie if she don't make it) but the other is the one and only Rennie. Damn. She's still got some open flowers, and setting a few pods, but her color is off and the tips all look kinda cooked. The growth under the fried canopy looks healthier though so I think she's gonna be fine. It was 105 today out there...and my thermometer is in the shade of the porch. Freakin HOT! I know I was baking out there on the pool deck so its to be expected I suppose. Some plants just don't seem fazed by it and continue to set and ripen...so no complaints! Here is some of what I got into today...

bME3ur1.jpg

Did I mention Gnarly Monster Infinities!!! This plant is from a seed out of the crazy pod that Dave (gnslngr) sent me and I reviewed last year. It had a crazy tail like this one too...that pod was the absolute worst for throat burn I have ever had. This plant's gonna put the HURT on sombody!!!

3sgE8q1.jpg

Speakin of hurt...I have harvested a few handfuls of small "first pod" type Morugas...this pod however is a freakin beast! Kinda looks like a mutant red talon clutching a green Vienna Sausage...

DbCzrpP.jpg

First couple good size Yellow Brains today too!

GHe8RdR.jpg

Here's today's pull...

GM7w9WV.jpg

Goat's Weeds...

kowqwBs.jpg

Romy's Mystery...Tree Hab??? These are the first of the second phenotype to ripen. Another bunch this size will be ready in a couple days...and I think it's just gonna go up from there. For now I am seeding each pod and letting the empty pods air dry. Going to try some hot salt with these soon.

yP4pmIx.jpg

You saw it!!! My little corn patch turned out great! I also pulled a few not quite done Big Jims to add to the burgers tonight! 

FGSo46G.jpg

Get them all burnt and blistered and throw them in a zip lock while they're still hot to steam in their own juices a bit. after about 10 minutes of that throw in a big glass of icewater and let them sit for just a minute then peel and seed.

jONkkNY.jpg

They should look like this if you did it right!

kH1fboB.jpg

Mmmmmm...burgers!

Time for bed y'all! See you tomorrow!
Shane

Shane I've had a few I've tossed in The shade. If you need I have 4 rennies. Two wild picked. And two from tex '12 Both tex are podding Eager to see how the wild ones looked. Can't wait for the brain. Some are bigger than the egg now. Hope all is well with the rennie. When we meet I can get you a rennie

Very nice Shane!

More and more ripening...that Moruga has insane pods!

Your corn did really well I see Congrats on that!

Yeah those 105's were here too yesterday, I have the irrigation mostly dialed in for the dirt plants, the container babies were hurting when we came home last night. Can you believe it's 70 now? And uh lightning outside...

Wow!  Took a while to get caught up.  Everything looks amazing, man!  First off, lovin the "Ortega burgers!"  Going back, congrats on the 19 year!  That's a long time, for sure. 

That Manzano is beastly!  And the pods are freakin apples, like you said!  Love the shots of that Jaime Mystery x Goat Weed.  Great ornamental potential, as well.  Those Barrackpores look great.  Mine look very similar.  Cool that the unknown you saved from the scrap pellet might be another one. 

The 7 Pot White and "Grade A" Yellow Brains, Indian Carbon Bhuts, and huge growdown Birgit definitely make for an enviable grow.  Your pulls are increasing exponentially, and getting corn, as well. 

Finally, the tail on that Monster Infinity is freakin nuts!  Now that is a scary pod. 

Was there a bustle in your hedge row? ;)

Looking awesome, my friend!

EDIT:  I see it is hot there, too.  110 at my place.  Plants are transpiring, but taking it in stride.  Taking a walk around the back yard looks like the heat is causing a mass ripening wave.  Pretty sure the same thing will happen at your place.

Holy 105! The weather here has been junk. Biblical rain and not letting up anytime soon. Freight train after freight train has been rolling through here. My inground plants say "bring it on" but I have been sheltering my containers when possible.

That infinity is crazy! I don't know if you are noticing,but I see a lot of coronas hanging up on your pods. I know it happens a lot,but I am seeing an above average amount on yours. That's a good thing for nasty pods. I wonder what the science behind that is. Strong blossoms, fast/slow growth rate on pods?

Dang those are some wicked looking pods there Shane, The roasted Big Jim reminds me of the New Mexico Hatch peppers we used to get in San Antonio. Looks great Brother!  

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Shane I've had a few I've tossed in The shade. If you need I have 4 rennies. Two wild picked. And two from tex '12 Both tex are podding Eager to see how the wild ones looked. Can't wait for the brain. Some are bigger than the egg now. Hope all is well with the rennie. When we meet I can get you a rennie
Aight brudda...mine is still kickin, just ain't lookin so hot. Some of the lower growth looks better now in the shade though. Maybe it'll pull through!

Devv said:
Very nice Shane!

More and more ripening...that Moruga has insane pods!

Your corn did really well I see Congrats on that!

Yeah those 105's were here too yesterday, I have the irrigation mostly dialed in for the dirt plants, the container babies were hurting when we came home last night. Can you believe it's 70 now? And uh lightning outside...
That Moruga is gonna put a hurt on me...trying to decide what I am eating next...Yellow Brain, Bhut Indian Carbon, Reaper...or a Moruga. Ughhhh decisions, decisions...
Forgot you had asked what type of corn a while back, finally checked and its Jackpot Hybrid. Really good taste, super sweet and juicy. A ton more out there...may have to freeze some before vaca. Three days in a row now in the low to mid 100's...and no end in sight. Rigged up some shade for the plants, pic to follow...

GA Growhead said:
Hope everything survives. 105° in the shade is hot!
:hot:
Got something to send you when you make it back.
Shweet! I love surprises! What is it....don't tell me...what is it...ughhh...don't tell me!

stickman said:
Hi Shane! You're enough of a foodie I thought you'd enjoy this Mexican inspired recipe for Mango-Chile ice in the extreme heat you're having now. Cheers!

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/05/mango-chile-ice
I'm gonna have to give that a shot! The right powder could really make that ice-SCREAM!

PaulG said:
Great infinity pods - they look painful.  Hope everything
holds together for you while you're away.
The infinities are both distinctly different...and equally menacing. Them thangs are gonna hurt some folks! I sure hope so too...I am making some preps out there, but this heat has me scared.

DocNrock said:
Wow!  Took a while to get caught up.  Everything looks amazing, man!  First off, lovin the "Ortega burgers!"  Going back, congrats on the 19 year!  That's a long time, for sure. 

That Manzano is beastly!  And the pods are freakin apples, like you said!  Love the shots of that Jaime Mystery x Goat Weed.  Great ornamental potential, as well.  Those Barrackpores look great.  Mine look very similar.  Cool that the unknown you saved from the scrap pellet might be another one. 

The 7 Pot White and "Grade A" Yellow Brains, Indian Carbon Bhuts, and huge growdown Birgit definitely make for an enviable grow.  Your pulls are increasing exponentially, and getting corn, as well. 

Finally, the tail on that Monster Infinity is freakin nuts!  Now that is a scary pod. 

Was there a bustle in your hedge row? ;)

Looking awesome, my friend!

EDIT:  I see it is hot there, too.  110 at my place.  Plants are transpiring, but taking it in stride.  Taking a walk around the back yard looks like the heat is causing a mass ripening wave.  Pretty sure the same thing will happen at your place.
Yeah...you snooze your lost on here. No need to ever get "caught up" everything always comes around full circle here. Kinda like a TV Drama...catch a couple episodes and your right back up on things! The Barrackpores aren't at all like the ones I grew last year...more tails and the pods are a bit smaller, but they sure look wicked! I will let you know how they compare taste wise soon! Those Yellow Brains are sure making me proud! The pods are just CRAZY! Huge and gnarly...got a couple big ripe ones I am gonna have to sample tomorrow! That MI is cool looking huh? My poor plants looked half dead the past couple afternoons. I have them on a 12 hr water cycle now to give them a cool drink to perk them up in the afternoon...

Pr0digal_son said:
Holy 105! The weather here has been junk. Biblical rain and not letting up anytime soon. Freight train after freight train has been rolling through here. My inground plants say "bring it on" but I have been sheltering my containers when possible.

That infinity is crazy! I don't know if you are noticing,but I see a lot of coronas hanging up on your pods. I know it happens a lot,but I am seeing an above average amount on yours. That's a good thing for nasty pods. I wonder what the science behind that is. Strong blossoms, fast/slow growth rate on pods?

romy6 said:
 I get those Coronas hanging a lot too Jb must be the heat.  :rolleyes:

Brother Shane . Your grow is in full steam. Superspectacofdachainman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fireball:
I don't know what the heck causes that??? Maybe the heat...maybe the low humidity??? I noticed that last year too, I would even spend hours picking them off out there, but AJ was right...leave them on and you get the coolest looking mutant pods...so I leave them alone now. 

Hope you get a break in the weather John...except one acid rain cloud above your Birgits!

Jaimie that word is Rediculoabsuditerribleriffic!

Spicegeist said:

Nice looking pods.  I'm growing a Goat's Weed cross someone else made this year, but I've never tried Goat's Weed itself.  How would you describe the flavor?
 Charles...hard to describe. They're hotter than cayennes but not as sweet. Very good flavor, thin walled...but they're pretty seedy. Makes a fantastic powder. I mixed mine with Pequins and Tepins last year and it was some of my favorite. They dry very easily...you gotta give them a shot! I saved about a billion seeds thus far...just say the word brotha!

poypoyking said:
Looking very good.  That is a fantastic idea for the big jims.  I have done that for making a roasted red pepper soup but never thought of topping a burger with them.  Brilliant!
They're a staple in the southwest...we put them on everything when I lived in El Paso...you have to try it! Also good on a chicken breast Sammy. Sliced and diced with some stewed tomatoes and added to Velveeta for some Queso Dip...mmmmmmm.

Rocketman: Dang those are some wicked looking pods there Shane, The roasted Big Jim reminds me of the New Mexico Hatch peppers we used to get in San Antonio. Looks great Brother!  
They're a New Mexico chile...can't beat them! We used to drive up to Hatch and pick up huge bags of roasted, peeled and seeded pods for a restaurant I worked at...

Dang those are some wicked looking pods there Shane, The roasted Big Jim reminds me of the New Mexico Hatch peppers we used to get in San Antonio. Looks great Brother!  

millworkman: "Dude. It seems you have some of the best genetics for most of these things. Awesome stuff!"
I am very lucky this season for sure!!! To top it off...EVERYTHING has turned the right color so far!!! That NEVER happens!!!!! So thankful for all the great stuff I got going.

Dude. It seems you have some of the best genetics for most of these things. Awesome stuff!

So the heat as mentioned above has me worried about my trip. I will do some mulching tomorrow to try to make sure the containers don't dry out too quickly. I mentioned I also rigged some shade...ghetto style! I went old school cheese cloth. They don't make a ton of shade, but its just enough of a break that the plants looked much happier today...
TnuoCUz.jpg

This is what well done plants look like...Moruga on the left and & Pot Congo SR on the right...the perk back up once the sun quits beating them down so...This pic was taken yesterday afternoon and all the plants looked about this bad.

zfg8SGg.jpg

Here it is...Dead grass...live plants!!! Haha. Eff that grass. Our water bill was $274 for the last two month period...and I have better uses for the water! This row runs north-south and the cheese cloth is on the west side to give them a slight break from the afternoon sun. This pic was taken around the same time of day today and the plants look much better!

pBcci8Q.jpg

Fear the Reaper...

gdn6cO0.jpg

Other Reaper plant is growing more true to form...

obdaIpV.jpg

Haven't shown these much...Red Brains from Jamie...have two from him and a couple from Vincent (Coheed) going. These are quint-essential Brain and like Noah said above yet another one that is the super BA...

zzMIcPw.jpg

The Indian Carbons from John are starting to put on some more size and CRAZY numbers!!! 

36NYTAF.jpg

Another IC pod...not as spikey as the ones John sent me...yet, but they're getting there!

4OUYpeN.jpg

Speaking of good genetics...This is the plant I rescued from the compost pile that I suspect is a Barrackpore...11 buds this node, and behind it to the left...

VkzzzjY.jpg

an 8 bud node!!! The great thing is they're all trying to set! This plant is a rock star!

ESwKju3.jpg

Oh...another good genetics example it the Moruga. Yeah...I know some are ripe, but I am scared damn it!!! All this heat we're having...I bet these things are as hot as they get, which is hotter than I wanna eat...but I'm gonna anyway.

I have more pics, will post them up tomorrow...or the next day. Hope your grows are going well!
Shane

Back