• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Hot damn man. Those harvests are insanely awesome. All that podage has me jealous. And that grilled corn has me wanting to grow some ears next year! And make sure to record it if you decide to scarf a moruga lol.

Peptacular said:
Hot damn man. Those harvests are insanely awesome. All that podage has me jealous. And that grilled corn has me wanting to grow some ears next year! And make sure to record it if you decide to scarf a moruga lol.
Thanks Pep! I have a big harvest today or tomorrow and will hold off the posting the rest of my pics until I get out there and pull some pods...I will video whatever I decide to eat, have to capture those little moments to show the grand kids later in life! 

stickman said:
Hi Shane,
   Great idea with the cheesecloth... it may be a "field expedient" but ya can't argue with success!
That's what we used when I was coming up. It works, and its breathable enough it shouldn't topple the plants if the wind pics up. It's only fastened to every other container with clothespins so hopefully it will break loose if it comes to that. It doesn't keep out much sun...but every little bit counts!
millworkman said:
Gorgeous pods!
Thanks Noah! I wish I could take the blame for it...but all my seeds came from different sources and they deserve the credit! I am now convinced you and Pr0d never sleep!

poypoyking said:
Beautiful poddage.  I am not sure how many of those I would be willing to chomp on :)
poy, willing wouldn't be the work I would use for sure...there is a ton of pain out there this year. 

Shane that cheese cloth really seems to have helped. I saw a few look like that last week before it cooled down.

Pods all look great! That group shot of the Indian Carbon pods look exactly like the "Funky Reaper" pods. Does anyone know for sure what was bred to create the Reaper?

Anyways, good luck on your trip and hopefully everything will hang while you're gone...

RocketMan said:
Man, you need to get up to LA and take Fernando for a "Little" run before he heads out for BCT.  :rofl:
I ain't ready to take anyone on a run just yet...but the knees are feeling much better so maybe soon. I am a firm believer nobody should "get ready" for Bootcamp, should be a dramatic shock to the system. We push pull and coax too many folks through these days while we're pushing out well trained folks in the middle. 

Devv said:
Shane that cheese cloth really seems to have helped. I've saw a few look like that last week before it cooled down.

Pods all look great! That group shot of the Indian Carbon pods look exactly like the "Funky Reaper" pods. Does anyone know for sure what was bred to create the Reaper?

Anyways, good luck on your trip and hopefully everything will hang while you're gone...
Mine all looked like that for a couple days...Damn HOT! The ICs are much bigger than my bhutish reapers...I think there is definitely some Bhut or Naga in the Reaper genetics. Hang is all I ask...as long as they're still alive! I just wish more of this first round of pods were ripe before the trip. Would be good to clean the pods off to let the plants recoop a little strength.

JJJessee said:
Fear the Reaper indeed! That is one wicked lookin' pod.
With a lot competition  in the wings. Cheese cloth looks like a good idea.
Maybe you could find a pepper-sitter to keep an eye on things while you're away.
That Barrakapore? save is unbeliveable!
Good work!
Yup, I am afraid of the Reapers...and the Brains...and Barrackpores...and the Bhuts...and the Morugas...and the Infinities...and the Primos...and the...
Hope the cheese cloth holds up and works out ok. The plants still drooped a little late yesterday, but looked much better. I don't wanna pepper sitter. I will set the up the best I can and hope they make it. I don't wanna be able to blame anyone but myself for anything that goes wrong! :rofl:

Aight...probably my final post before I depart....

So I will start with a non...

YzFxTtt.jpg

Here is my Jasmine out front...but look a little closer.

qA12q4z.jpg

:shh: shhhhh....this is where I hid the little Manzano that could! Loving her new home and growing like a weed with some room for the roots to roam!

fjQdPyb.jpg

Haven't updated this dude in a bit...the Yellow Billy Boy Douglah...seeds from SS via Coheed via Romy6...haha I should send them to someone else to keep the via train rolling!

yJxUqLV.jpg

A closer shot of the color change going on...cool looking pods! 

lS64cAV.jpg

Here is another amazing looking Brain on the plant pictured yesterday... :hell:

GMXWagC.jpg

I don't think I posted this pic yet...had it for a bit. Yet another BA looking Monster Infinity. If you look at it sideways the lower "tail" part of the pod is almost knife thin. :hell:

ELoAHe7.jpg

Here is the Bubblegum 7 Plant looking pissed before the addition of the shade cloth...Cool looking pods. They have the large Calyxes but the stem/calyx isn't turning red. Maybe a not, anyone know if you have to keep them on a little longer to get them to change???

FlTrLG4.jpg

My Charapita Yellows...will these damn thangs ever change color??? I really wanna munch on some! 

v0Tcah9.jpg

Here is my Big Jim/Anaheim shrub...note to self, don't use the puny little bamboo for these. Came home to the whole group listing to port! Had to shore them up with a larger bamboo stick! 

feKOLG5.jpg

Last but not least, I powdered up some Wild Brazil pods from last year...I got almost a quart bag full, and have two trays left cooking to go. Made these into a seasoning mix that mama won't be afraid to use. They were labeled Wild Brazil when I got them off a seed train last year, but are really a Bird Aji, great pepper! I didn't get any to pop this season, but still have a few seeds for next season. Gotta have these again!

Aight so I lied, I am going to have to post a few more pics...bit harvest today or tomorrow before my trip! Can't not post that!

Whoa machinegun updates, remarkable looking pod pics, killer burger, bet that was fantastic! I see the stress on your Bubblegum 7 plant; I have a few looking almost like that but haven’t needed to shade cloth yet … great call on your part, she’ll love ya for it ;) Hope the one’s that are hurting get better and I wish you and yours a happy trip with loads of fun \o/

Take care brethren and have a great week!

PS Wild Brazil powder looks great!

Hey, bud, hope everything goes as planned!
You should come back to some serious color!
I hadn't thought of cheesecloth - great idea, a
lot cheaper than shade cloth!

'See ya' when you get back!

Nasty looking Brain pods there!

Infinity's are cool as well....did I forget the bubblegum's?

Good work there...Stay cool, once again good luck. I'm off in the AM. be up @ 2:30 to drive in and catch the flight...and some sleep LOL..

Just got my morning fix...(not a salty snack from the vending machine) but, checking this glog out. Shane you've got the craziest looking pods, and plenty of them. Leaps and bounds ahead with the harvests then most Western growers here. Might I say...no mites...

I like the idea of some type of shade during that high noon sun. Oddly enough, the plants tend to thrive with some shade.

I bet you're gearing up for some 4th of July foodie shots, and I know they'll be a bang here. What cha cooking ?

Now I'm hyped up to go home, take the work boots off, throw the gardening gloves on...(strike that no gloves worn) and look through the plants for a few ripe pods for tomorrow.

But before that happens I need to update my gig !
Bro...have a safe and enjoyable holiday !

Manzano, i didn't see any pubes in your garden bed  :liar:  Love the updates brethren. Gonna be awfully dull around here when you set off to NC. But have no doubt the wife will keep your glog updated :rofl: . Powder looks super tasty. And this shot kicks all of the others asses  :fireball:
lS64cAV.jpg

Thanks for the kind words errybody! I sure hope they do ok...we shall see! I'll be off until I get back next Friday. I should have a pretty good pull by then! This morning I pulled all the stuff that was ready or close and will harvest a few seeds this afternoon. 

Toz4bSy.jpg

Here is the pull...Great start huh???

pZAvUmM.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnets (Pic1)

TcD9owU.jpg

Yellow Brain off the plant with smaller pods, Moruga, Yellow Billy Boy Douglah 

rILfNmX.jpg

Yellow Brains off the other plant...Smaller plant but huge pods! 

Take care folks...I will check in when I can!
Shane

romy6 said:
 Manzano, i didn't see any pubes in your garden bed  :liar:  Love the updates brethren. Gonna be awfully dull around here when you set off to NC. But have no doubt the wife will keep your glog updated :rofl: . Powder looks super tasty. And this shot kicks all of the others asses  :fireball:
lS64cAV.jpg
That may b one ugly pep, but I'd hit it!

NC eh, I may be crossing path's wit ya, going To SC Fri.   Look'n for some Killer BBQ and fun times in Myrtle Beach.    

Back