• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Shoot go away on vacation a few days (uh twice) and all hell breaks loose!

Not even gonna try and break down the last 4 pages, especially when the wife's waving a frozen drink and motioning towards the pool. But shoot (could said sh!t) hah! cool thangs happening in Ca.!

Shane, good grow this year!

gotta go...wifey pull:)

Well brother, I click back a few pages to frame a smart ass comment....and click back, and all my other smart ass comments in my reply got sucked up by cyberspace! Then I damn near get busted by my current  "grenade", another PM who just got back from maternity leave and was amid several projects and FAAAAARRRRR behind , so I got volunteered to be her "White Night to the Rescue" :rolleyes: -and write all her procedures( :onfire: ),good thing I had the procedures up on a another screen :dance: ....sheeee-it, I just missed being caught unhorsed! :shh: LOL!

You may need to dig a DEEP hole to plant that BL in...or you're gonna get a vist from the FAA!

Thanks for takin up all my slack and everyone else's for that matter! We're all considered "caught up" by de facto!

Like AHHHHHnold says, "AHHHHH'LL be Bach" headed to lunch with a hot little number(Bumped up curvy Chocolate Scorpion with an awesome tail :woohoo: ) , doing it old school style, (and officially verboten in this PC hell hole, and damn near every where else these dark days....) ...with an icy cold Shiner or 2... :shh: .Gotta get the mind lubricated and the synaptic  juices flowin- a most likey shed a few tears :fireball:  as well :party: !

Have a good one -
DJ

5 DOWN, ????? TO GEAUX!!!!!

WalkGood said:
Great job on the ferment start … can’t wait to see da finished product :)
Thanks! Came home to them bubbling away, and only one that overflowed a bit. Can't wait either!!! only another month and a half before I get to enjoy! :rofl:

3/5King said:
Got damn Shane! That California sun combined with your Hulk thumb has provided you with the perfect pepper storm....it's hailing PEPPERS! It's a good feeling when things turn out.....I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER..
Oh and can you say delicious! BOOM
Thanks Dave...my hulk thumb is lacking. Plants are still loaded, but no longer loading. Mostly due to the heat, but they looked pretty hungry too. So I gave them a little root drench and foliar feed today. Hope they green up and start to set some new ones. I sure hope those sauces turn out...freezing is gonna be the plan for a bit until I see how this stuff turns out. Gathering some BIG jars in the meantime and may even make a few airlocks. If the sauce is worth a flip it will really be a great way to get through the harvested pods...still plenty of powder...but will be nice if I can send out some woozies this winter!

Trippa said:
Yeah that's a harvest ....  :dance:  :onfire: Unreal ... healthy looking and tasty looking ... love your work 
Thanks Trip! As I mentioned above...they ain't so healthy looking right now, and dropping their flowers. Hope I can get back on top of it. How are things down there???

millworkman said:

Pr0digal_son said:
INDEED! I feel like Marty Feldman.
Haha...Thanks fellas! Used to work with a guy that looked just like him, called him the Bug-Eyed-Drunk...great guy.

wahlee76 said:
That looks very tasty indeed. You just mash them? If so, how do keep them from going bad? I usually just mash them and add a little vinegar.
Thanks...Fermenting is cultivating the good bacteria called lactobacillus and during the process they produce lactic acid which lowers the PH of the solution until it's low enough that bad bacteria can't survive. Using the yogurt whey expedites the process and the saltwater brine prevents anything from going bad before the process gets going. Still a bit of a crap shoot...but I got enough jars going that if a few go bad, I should still get a batch or two of good stuff!

PaulG said:
Great mash tutorial, my friend!
Thanks Paul! RMs fermenting thread is the real tutor! 

Sawyer said:
Awesome.  What do you do with the left over yogurt after you collect the whey?

PIC 1 said:
"Every picture tells a story".........and your photography does just that !
Very colorful and inspiring...
Shane your WAY  ahead of most growers with your pepper processing............maybe some of the Aussies, too......... :D
Tzatziki Sauce with the left over Yogurt ?
Thanks fellas...I was trashing the old yogurt...but that Tzatziki sauce looks worth a shot! I have had it on my travels and never knew it was quite so easy to make...Hmmm, maybe I gotta dig up just one more jar this weekend just to spend some Yogurt!

Sawyer said:
??? -> google -> wiki -> Oh!  I've had that.  Had a Persian roommate once in college and he would make that.  Didn't remember what it was called, but it was good.
Haha...same thing here...Google...wiki...oooh, hmmmm...

Ok, that's all the quotes before the quote police start hassling me...so here are a few pics just for sheets and googles...
401kQh9.jpg

Bubblegum 7 Pot (KingDenniz)

76RHVES.jpg

Monster Infinity (gnslngr)

tbDJE9g.jpg

Monster Infinity (plant 2) (gnslngr)

zu8FevY.jpg

Crazy Barrackpore (DocNrock)

m6VfhAn.jpg

Yellow Billy Boy Doughah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6) you can see the hungry looking leaf on the right...

Dm4PsjJ.jpg

Giant Twisted Chocolate Habanero (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)

xU5HAta.jpg

The awesome Brain Strain 7 Pot from a few pages back (Romy6)

oDDupnG.jpg

Finally some ripe Pequins!!! (Sawdust)

oPqYlMv.jpg

7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)

jYll55G.jpg

Charapita Yellow

That's it for now...think the pull this weekend will be even bigger than the last couple...should be pretty epic! I sent a sfrb to Matt (Mgold) and he and his wife did a side by side review of the Bubblegum 7s...don't let the name fool ya folks, that pod is no freakin joke! I tried one last weekend along with one of the White 7 Pots and they both lit me up good! I also had a stupid moment last night and in honor of Matt's review I decided to put 4 fataliis and 2 Yellow Billy Boys on my two burgers...ummmm. Yeah, I paid for that last night AND this morning! :rofl: Really great pods, and those darn Yellow Billy Boys are no freakin joke for a yellow! Stand by for more incoming tomorrow folks!
Shane

armac said:
looks tasty, in a very hot way
Thanks Armac!

poypoyking said:
Those Yellow Brains look incredible.  What a great harvest so far. 
Thanks man...blessed for sure!

Devv said:
Shoot go away on vacation a few days (uh twice) and all hell breaks loose!

Not even gonna try and break down the last 4 pages, especially when the wife's waving a frozen drink and motioning towards the pool. But shoot (could said sh!t) hah! cool thangs happening in Ca.!

Shane, good grow this year!

gotta go...wifey pull:)
Don't blink Scott...we'll be on page 500 before we know it!!! :rofl: Hope your vaca was BA brotha! 

Pulpiteer said:
Looking great Shane, and yeah, those yellow brains do look incredible!
Thanks Andy! They sure are doing me right!

tylerdodd25_92 said:
wow only had to catch up on 9 pages those reaper pics are crazy! the mash looks great.... plants look amazing
Haha...yeah tyler, I am compulsive updater! Thanks! Fingers crossed that sauce turns out well...

gnslngr said:
Well brother, I click back a few pages to frame a smart ass comment....and click back, and all my other smart ass comments in my reply got sucked up by cyberspace! Then I damn near get busted by my current  "grenade", another PM who just got back from maternity leave and was amid several projects and FAAAAARRRRR behind , so I got volunteered to be her "White Night to the Rescue" :rolleyes: -and write all her procedures( :onfire: ),good thing I had the procedures up on a another screen :dance: ....sheeee-it, I just missed being caught unhorsed! :shh: LOL!

You may need to dig a DEEP hole to plant that BL in...or you're gonna get a vist from the FAA!

Thanks for takin up all my slack and everyone else's for that matter! We're all considered "caught up" by de facto!

Like AHHHHHnold says, "AHHHHH'LL be Bach" headed to lunch with a hot little number(Bumped up curvy Chocolate Scorpion with an awesome tail :woohoo: ) , doing it old school style, (and officially verboten in this PC hell hole, and damn near every where else these dark days....) ...with an icy cold Shiner or 2... :shh: .Gotta get the mind lubricated and the synaptic  juices flowin- a most likey shed a few tears :fireball:  as well :party: !

Have a good one -
DJ

5 DOWN, ????? TO GEAUX!!!!!
Great to hear from ya Dave...don't ever bother digging back too far on here. Don't get busted on THP...they'll block the site! Hope your date with the Choco Scorp went as planned!

Spicegeist said:
Love all the little peppers in that last pic, gorgeous!

TXCG said:
That charapita is ridiculous. I'm going to have to grow that next year.
Thanks fellas...great pepper...saving seeds...so stay tuned! Here she is a little closer up...
xs84d2o.jpg

and finally just a few shots that didn't make the cut.
P4BMwEm.jpg

another angle of the same Monster Infinity from above.

sbPup4I.jpg

Same 7 Congo from above...

SpUDvsZ.jpg

Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

vqjOmCY.jpg

Little blurry but another cool pod on the Barrackpore (DocNrock)

BXmy40L.jpg

pnxe3XG.jpg

kGJXqdc.jpg

This is from last weekend...all the Yellow Brains are full of juice. That puddle came out of this one pod...

JHtWMOZ.jpg

7 Pot Monster Infinity...did I already post this one??? I dunno, stretching it now...

MBPiPV3.jpg

Same pod different angle...aight really it!

Night all!
Shane

I can't possibly keep up with all the wonderful glogs going on here on the good ole THC, but those plant and pod shots are frickin' awesome.  I only hope I have something to offer at the end of the season in exchange for some of those charapita seeds.  Those guys look tasty.

Looks like your boat has come in with ripe pods Shane... I hope you still have time to make some great foodies after your pull this weekend... ;)

Something I noticed from last year was most of my yellow brains were full of juice, too. I thought maybe I had over watered, but it was only on my yellow brains … idk.

Back