• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Damn Shane, really gnarly looking pods....wait...I had em on my table! lol.

I did a bit of seed saving earlier this evening, and ended up testing the SB, 7 White, AND the Monster Infinity!  I was gonna do a full-blown review but scotch after red wine is not a great way to set up your Saturday.....

You were right, that 7 White was definitely surprising.  Yours are a bit more meaty than Judy's, but very similar in taste and heat. But the winner in my opinion is that Monster Infinity.  Dayyyuum.  I only tried a sliver, (give me a break I already tried the two other pods and I was still hurting from last night), but it immediately hit my throat.  Really hard, really fast.  My spit tasted a bit acidic (not full blown battery acid, but hints of it), then almost as quickly as it hit my throat it jumped to the tip of my tongue.  Really attacked it...It will be on my grow list next year.....

Oh, and I made a video with it....and Jess makes another unexpected appearance. LOL!  You'll be rolling when you see her.

Grow log...I'm Back!!!

Big time!!!

i have learned a lot from this glog,   :clap:  thanks for sharing and posting all of this
never seen such a stunning prolific plants.
you are my fav' grower for 2013   :hell:

Trippa said:
Great pics of the pods ........ verryyyy jealous of your pods after looking at my little sprouts ... :D
Haha...and I of your new sprouts my Southern Brother!

Sawyer said:
I can't possibly keep up with all the wonderful glogs going on here on the good ole THC, but those plant and pod shots are frickin' awesome.  I only hope I have something to offer at the end of the season in exchange for some of those charapita seeds.  Those guys look tasty.
Heck I can't even keep up with my own! :rofl: You ain't gotta exchange nuttin brotha...other than an addy!

RPM55 said:
Looking good Shane,awesome harvest shots and the mash looks mm mm good.
Thanks! I sure hope at least a couple of them jars produce something worth eating???

WalkGood said:
Fantastic pod pics Shane, you'll be seriously busy this weekend ^_^
Yeah man...finally got them all picked, or at least all the ones I am gonna pick! Now for the processing. Too late in the weekend for me to start drying any...may make a few more jars of mash??? Hmmm, Bacon/Bonnet????

stickman said:
Looks like your boat has come in with ripe pods Shane... I hope you still have time to make some great foodies after your pull this weekend... ;)
I feel like I'm being keel-hauled under that boat right now! I snapped a few pics of me roasting up some chiles and burning some steaks...but I got so many damn pics to post I don't know If they'll make it on here today. May save them for a mid-week update as I microwave my barracks food.

chsy83 said:
Something I noticed from last year was most of my yellow brains were full of juice, too. I thought maybe I had over watered, but it was only on my yellow brains … idk.
Charles, I dunno either, but its pretty cool!

Devv said:
Excellent array of pods there!

I know later on, we'll see the money shots...got enough tables?
Haha...had to make a slight location adjustment to get most of them in the shot...plus had to keep some in a large fruit bowl....oh and I took the pic of the Big Jims separate. :rofl: 

tylerdodd25_92 said:
those bubblegums look great.. have you tried a ripe pod yet? Whats the flavor like?
 Yeah I tried them Tyler...ummmm, they ain't bubble gum, but they are pretty citrusy sweet. They're surprisingly hot too...

jedisushi06 said:
Every time i look at your golg i get huge boner!   Just kidding your plants are amazing man!
That funny...I DO TOO! :rofl: Thanks jedi...I am a lucky dude for sure.

Pr0digal_son said:
Rocking it Shane,those brains have some major styrofoam haha

Hate posting pics in others glogs. I figured you might want to see these though. Goat's weed from Jamie. Plant was slow going for an annuum,but 5' and cranking now.
Don't ever hate posting them here John! My Goat's Weed is still pumping out plenty-o-pods, but ain't more that 3' tall...little shrub it is my precious. Yours looks freakin fantastic!

Ok, ok...this week's pull!
LxQtt3j.jpg

4216TPI.jpg

bA9brYB.jpg

pS6fUJD.jpg

IQdOhCN.jpg

GQaz7HW.jpg

This ain't all the Monster Infinities...just the sexiest ones...

usxmLrV.jpg

Here are the innards...tasted a fingertip full of that oil and...well I think Matt is uploading a review of how that goes.

bz8P7Ug.jpg

This Weekend's Wilds...its about to be ON with these little dudes. So many pods ripening on that one Charapita and now the second one is starting to ripen pods...and the Pequin. The Wild Brazil is a little behind, but its ripening a few now and by September will be another great little shrub full of pods...ahhhh. Between them and the Birgit plants I could spend all week picking! 

LVdCbhe.jpg

A few Pequins, Charapitas and a lonely little Wild Brazil...

oEaxKI3.jpg

More to post...will be back on later to answer more mail and post a few more...

Happy Sunday Folks!
Shane

I need some sunglasses to watch your update. It hurts my eyes :P
Those Charapitas really are interesting peppers, looks sweet, but will probably taste like an inferno :fireball:

Holy moly mama of all harvests what a bonanza! Your crop has given you a license to print pods, use it with care ;) Well it’s either that or you hit the main vein, awesome work brethren!

While I love the group shots of all the pods hugging up and they’re all beautiful but I have to agree with you … Your Monster Infinities look super smexy and that’s a great shot of it cut in half. Now I’m looking forward to the rest of the shots, great job Shane!

armac said:
great year for super pods......
It sure is Armac!!!

MGOLD86 said:
Damn Shane, really gnarly looking pods....wait...I had em on my table! lol.

I did a bit of seed saving earlier this evening, and ended up testing the SB, 7 White, AND the Monster Infinity!  I was gonna do a full-blown review but scotch after red wine is not a great way to set up your Saturday.....

You were right, that 7 White was definitely surprising.  Yours are a bit more meaty than Judy's, but very similar in taste and heat. But the winner in my opinion is that Monster Infinity.  Dayyyuum.  I only tried a sliver, (give me a break I already tried the two other pods and I was still hurting from last night), but it immediately hit my throat.  Really hard, really fast.  My spit tasted a bit acidic (not full blown battery acid, but hints of it), then almost as quickly as it hit my throat it jumped to the tip of my tongue.  Really attacked it...It will be on my grow list next year.....

Oh, and I made a video with it....and Jess makes another unexpected appearance. LOL!  You'll be rolling when you see her.
You sure did have some of the better ones...The 7 Whites look so innocent. No detectable oil inside...but BAM! Can't wait to check out the next vid...I sure hope you didn't make Jess eat a Bonnet or something.

Bodeen said:
Those are some awesome looking pods.  Great pics!!!
Thanks Bodeen!!!

Dani8538 said:

Big time!!!

i have learned a lot from this glog,     thanks for sharing and posting all of this
never seen such a stunning prolific plants.
you are my fav' grower for 2013   
FAV???!!! Really??? You must not get around on here very much! Ha!!! Flattered for sure, glad you were able to learn something from my rambling...Thanks!!!

GnomeGrown said:
Awesome harvest, Shane!

:woohoo: :woohoo:
The roaming Gnome strikes again!!! Woot! Thanks Gnomey!

Devv said:
Ha!

I knew it was going to be the motherlode!

Now if I was only a fly on the wall to watch the processing 

You will definitely be a busy man!

Great job this year Shane it's all in money shots!
Scott my man...I am busier than that one legged dude whoopin somebuddy...wait how's that go again??? :rofl: Them money shots ain't free...but they sure are worth it! Thanks for stoppin by brother!

Sanarda said:
Awesome awesome awesome awesomely terrific  
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

wahlee76 said:
I need some sunglasses to watch your update. It hurts my eyes 
Those Charapitas really are interesting peppers, looks sweet, but will probably taste like an inferno 
Yeah...hurting mine too, out of gloves! :fireball: Them little dudes are hot but not horrible and sweet as candy...one you can actually EAT! :rofl:

WalkGood said:
Holy moly mama of all harvests what a bonanza! Your crop has given you a license to print pods, use it with care ;) Well it’s either that or you hit the main vein, awesome work brethren!

While I love the group shots of all the pods hugging up and they’re all beautiful but I have to agree with you … Your Monster Infinities look super smexy and that’s a great shot of it cut in half. Now I’m looking forward to the rest of the shots, great job Shane!
Ramon!!! Thought you were travelin buddy??? Few shots coming right up bro!!!

First off...the mystery is back to a mystery??? Thought is was a Barrackpore because they kept their flower skirts up around their necks the same way the BPs did...ummmm not so much.
iHnGbLV.jpg

Xu3Csk5.jpg

They look similar to the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets...but not exactly. I tried germing a few other types of Bonnets and Bahamian Goats...any guesses???

WWjtfEJ.jpg

Here are some of the initial pods pulled....the newer pods are more elongated.

8532BWl.jpg

Cool looking Barrackpores (DocNrock)

lMDB9AA.jpg

Brain Strains...the one on the left grew from Coheed's seeds and the trio on the right From Romy6...

MQSTTeI.jpg

7 Pot White  (Socalchilehead)

SDvfsFK.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend...

3C8XL2x.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain 7 Pot...

Cbs9Knn.jpg

Fatalii

60RE2eB.jpg

Birgits Locoto (Wayright)

It for today folks...gotta do the honey do!
Shane

Nope not traveling … got back last Tuesday IIRC

Dam brother even better shots, love them all especially Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, [SIZE=10.5pt]Yellow Brain Strain 7 Pot (mine didn’t germinate early season so none from me dis year), [/SIZE]Fatalii and all da rest. Heck do the pictures keep getting better or is it my excitement … totally great stuff mon \o_

BTW I wrote a review on taste testing my first Trinidad Scorpion but mines not a Moruga blend, I think that blend makes smexier pods … have a great week brethren!

Dang Shane, that is out of control.  It must take you the whole weekend to process all those pods :)   I didn't follow your glog at all last year, what is/are your preferred method/s of preservation?

Wait , that's all?............................................................................................ :woohoo:

Busy day, Monday is all about Fire Control issues...so I'll lazy and say what Pia said:Awesome awesome awesome awesomely terrific  :dance:  :fireball:  :onfire:

Some beauty right there!

Please review them for taste and use.

Liking ALL of them, the yellows stand out in my book, well heck they all do! Very cool look on the Barrackpore's!

Someone posted about the wife helping, mine can't even tolerate Habs with gloves on.

Dude, those "Barrackpores" are insane!  They look like Primos!  The one I grew from the same seed pack don't look like that!  Anyway, KA!  Everything looks amazing.  Huge harvests.  That Birgit's is massive!  Had to tape a stake to the steel pipe...now you're just showing off!  ;)

Seriously, though, everything looks awesome.  Great looking Yellow Brains, as well.  Funny about the water in them.  I've seen the same thing in a couple varieties of mine, mostly in my Sepia Serpents.  I thought it was overwatering.  Werid.  Did you taste the juice?  :D

Wowie !
That sums it up ...
Super-duper harvests and the photography to back that claim up.
Shane you're really being creative and I can tell you're having fun at it.
Your climate makes the difference. My Belize Bonnet is a good producer but your plant is putting out some massive amounts,
Cool photo of the Fatalii....let's just say everything's cool here...

Thanks everyone...got two gallons of peppers processed...problem is I put away 5 more! Great problem to have, but my chest freezer is almost full. I will get to detailed responses done later, but wanted to answer John's question while I am at lunch...

So similar, but not the same on the Goat's Weed you got to the Cross I got going. The pods are smooth and shiny on my plant, but I know the mother plant for mine was the Mystery Annuum which we think was a Tree Hab...your plant the mother would have been the GW so its still a potential cross. Your pod shot there has much broader shoulders than my actual GW...and the shape is not the same, but close to the Cross....here are a couple pics.
48SMdJY.jpg

kowqwBs.jpg

And here are the pods...no more time. Gotta run!

Back