• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Hi Shane,
   Playing "ketchup" with your last 2 pages... the biggest news was Ripe Manzanos! :woohoo: Those pods aren't small! Is the plant you sent me the same type?

Lovin' the various ways you're processing your harvest. I'm not quite at your place yet, but hope to be powdering, smoking and sauce-making fairly soon. Cheers!

Holy smokes and I thought I had just posted here, you sir have plants that move at warp speed … how awesome! I love the look of all your pictures Shane, they’re great as TT says! I especially love the look of Fatalii all podded up, she looks awesome! But to be honest there isn’t a bad shot in the bunch and all pods & plants are kicking azz mon. Have a great day and enjoy a cold one on me ;)

Hey Shane,
There were two different versions that Chris had for the 7Pot Congo SR. One got alittle larger,both big though. IMO the pod shape is going to vary quite a bit. The insides of yours are spot on. Very little placenta and oil and a bit thicker walled than a super. I thought the flavor was OK and the heat was hotter than I expected. The version I have resembles the Congo types more than the 7's. I have seen them blocky and more textured like in that video also. I will get some pics up when I get a chance.

The choco habs look smaller than mine. I think I sent you some chocolate bonnet pods too so maybe you mixed them up? I will send you out some pods when I get that seed package out to you. The yellow 7's look different from any of the seed stock I have. Not sure about that one.

Ok...so I'm gonna just cop out to most and say...THANKS! Crazy friggin day! Between my 17yo thinking she owns the joint and mama letting her know otherwise (I spent that quality time harvesting! :rolleyes: ), a 4 hour football practice for my boy, and I started a thread over in the marketplace and then all hell broke loose! Holy cow!!! Well needless to say I spent the day trying to organize and measure and burn the crap out of myself and run to the PO only to realize it was already closed... :mope: Oh well...I will post a few pics though!

First one is for John...
2wZLWJN.jpg

Giant twisted Choco Habs...pretty sure that's what they are too. I planted them from seed you sent, not that I gathered sooo...some are more elongated than others. A couple even have a stinger. Most are long with deep ribs. These are the very first pods off the plant though...so I think they'll stabilize into something more true to form.

4GAYXtg.jpg

Here is the more typical pod shape on the plant...

iYCsC0O.jpg

Here is the other one you asked about a few pages back...This is the Mystery X Goat's Weed cross from Jamie...

MAniz60.jpg

and here is the other one...slightly less pubescent and darker green leaves vice the silvery GW look of the other one. Pods are virtually identical in size, shape and taste though...Both plants are freaking trees and pod factory trees at that. This one will get grown every year...I really hope I can keep them both alive through the winter and put them in the dirt next season to see what they can really do. 

LGv7Mgf.jpg

Here is today's pull...I didn't get around to all the plants...I still have another Charapita to pull from and the Birgits...both of which are loaded. This is most of them though...

W8ceZCb.jpg

Birds eye view...see them big blocky yellow ones in the left rear??? Yup...Manzanos are ripening baby! :party: The big red center stripe of pods are all the Naga-shaped Reapers...I don't care if its true...its kicking the sheet out of the true plant! One plant one pull...and I have already pulled three good loads off it! Some of the plants are almost bare now including the Belize City Bonnet...but they're loading up for round two!

3fr2Ool.jpg

Here's a single pull off one Charapita plant...the other one was a late start, but its even bigger and is starting to ripen. The only down side to these little dudes is they are really stuck to the plant...so its snippers all the way. That's a ton of snipping!

cj0HmYh.jpg

Yum Yum...BUBBLEGUM!!!

9qVGPhE.jpg

Hey Jason...remember this little guy??? This is the Mailed plant from GAGrowhead!!! It is loving its new home and really taking off...I have pulled a couple pods already and...

LvCzMtl.jpg

There's another waiting to be eaten! Yup...this one won't make it into tomorrow's harvest bag...

Thanks for stopping by everyone...and hopefully I can get caught up with everyone's glogs tonight and tomorrow! I will also likely take some closeups of a few of the chosen ones...some really cool pods in today's pull.
Shane

Hey Shane, this may be stating the ridiculously-obvious but, when I started my first mash, I was sorta unsure if I had a ferment going, because I couldn't see any bubbles. Well, if your mash has lifted-off the bottom of the jug, you have an "active" ferment going. The trapped gasses are what's lifting it, even if you cannot see the actual bubbles. Later, as the fermenting activity slows-up, your mash will sink back down to the bottom.

I really like pepper powder and, I love grilled peppers. And, pickled peppers are really special. But, my favorite is my fermented sauces.

Like all of my fermented stuff, I don't ever cook mine.

Those "pulls" of yours trigger pepper-envy-overload! Crazy!

I think when I die I will use the quote I though of after a big harvest in your garden, "here lays WalkGood, death by pepper picking at Shane’s house,"  lols ...

Awesome grow brethren, I seriously do not know how you find the time ... it must be the military in you that allows the multifaceted schedule & hard work, Keep up the great work mon and that's a hat's off harvest for sure \o_

Nice pull Shane! They're really coming in like gangbusters, surely a busy time.

I spent several hours working my pull this morning, I'm thinking a weekend here!

Hey those Naga looking Reapers, have you tried one yet? They look a lot like my "Funky Reaper", if they taste the same you will be very pleased! They have a good long burn and afterwards the taste remains...really cool pod..

Looking at your harvests every time I check in here almost makes me want to move somewhere a little warmer :)  Great haul again, hope you keep raking them in like that until you are sick of dealing with them!

Shane,
You're an inspiration to the (PGA).............pepper growers association.............................if there were such a thing.............. :D 
But really....who would have thought to jump start their plants with a "D Cell".................sorry P-Son, couldn't pass on that one
Although those 7 Pot Congo's really put out a charge and are massive in size. Mine haven't ripened yet, I can't wait !
Once again, thats a huge harvest and takes quite a bit of time to cut from the plants. I missed the 1st half of a football game last season while picking. 
Probably won't happen this year, I plan to start picking half the plants at a time.
Have a great week man !

Shane- didn't you say you're usually gone to work around 5 days out of the week? And w/ these results?!!! Maybe my yields would improve if I didn't micromanage (prune, pot-up/down, and photograph) my plants 3-4X/day :D ;)

First off...Bonnie, they're yours!!! What else do you wanna try out??? Jamie's Mystery??? Fast growing 6' tree quick to produce tons??? Belize City Bonnets...smallish bush with a billion pods??? Lemme know!

Spicegeist said:
So many peppers!
Thanks! I am OUT of room...may be able to squeeze two more pulls in the freezer...I should really get a booth at the farmers market. What do you think the penalty would be for reverse shoplifting??? I mean sneaking them into the grocery store and throwing them in with the Jals, Habs and Fresnos??? Haha..."Honey, I made some guacamole with that funny little pepper from the store!"

Bigoledude said:
Hey Shane, this may be stating the ridiculously-obvious but, when I started my first mash, I was sorta unsure if I had a ferment going, because I couldn't see any bubbles. Well, if your mash has lifted-off the bottom of the jug, you have an "active" ferment going. The trapped gasses are what's lifting it, even if you cannot see the actual bubbles. Later, as the fermenting activity slows-up, your mash will sink back down to the bottom.

I really like pepper powder and, I love grilled peppers. And, pickled peppers are really special. But, my favorite is my fermented sauces.

Like all of my fermented stuff, I don't ever cook mine.

Those "pulls" of yours trigger pepper-envy-overload! Crazy!
Thanks...yeah...some are moving faster than others. Not too sure that cuke mix is gonna work out??? I mean that all start off with a sort of foul odor...or odd at least, then that odor slowly morphs into that pungent deliciousness. I guess some ferments just smell bad??? I mean sauerkraut smells like butt and tastes really good? I'll just have to wait and see I suppose! Thanks for your input!!!

WalkGood said:
I think when I die I will use the quote I though of after a big harvest in your garden, "here lays WalkGood, death by pepper picking at Shane’s house,"  lols ...

Awesome grow brethren, I seriously do not know how you find the time ... it must be the military in you that allows the multifaceted schedule & hard work, Keep up the great work mon and that's a hat's off harvest for sure \o_

Haha...I am really a closet slacker. Matt nailed that one on the head...I only go out there when mama's got the TV locked down and my son won't pass the XBox remote! :rofl:

Pr0digal_son said:
That is them Shane. Spot on! You should get some 25g pods off that plant.. Some pods will be long with creases and some round and fat.

Pr0digal_son said:
Here yah go Shane. Can't get a good picture of the size without pulling a pod off. D cell battery in piccy. I had one that was 33g last year and and a couple may go bigger this year.
Thanks John!!! The pods are beefy for sure...but none are HUGE just yet. That plant started off kinda stunted and twisted itself, but it's finally grown out of it and the pods are stunning! You made such a huge contribution to this year brotha...and I still got a ton of great seeds I didn't even grow out from folks like you...Charles (SG)...Greg (P1)...Dave(GnSgr)...so many more...and SO many more seeds. How the eff do I choose for next season with all the "New" Favorites and must grows plus all them awesome seeds...I need acreage to grow it all...do you know what acreage costs in California $$$???  Oh..oh...the kids college funds and my retirement are worth several hundred grand, BAM! Wait...damn. A couple hundred grand will barely buy a 2BR third floor walk-up out here...Acreage will cost millions!!! Damn...there goes that great plan. My kids thank you for their continued education! :rofl:

wahlee76 said:
I'm speechless 
Haha, thanks...unfortunately for us both and everyone else that actually reads this stuff...I AM NOT!!! :rofl:

Devv said:
Nice pull Shane! They're really coming in like gangbusters, surely a busy time.

I spent several hours working my pull this morning, I'm thinking a weekend here!

Hey those Naga looking Reapers, have you tried one yet? They look a lot like my "Funky Reaper", if they taste the same you will be very pleased! They have a good long burn and afterwards the taste remains...really cool pod..
Thanks Scott!!! It is crazy...the only ones that really take a TON of time are the little Charapitas...luckily they're delicious! 1...2...3...in the bucket...1 for me...1...2 in the bucket...one for me.  :drooling: Longest and favorite part of the harvest is them little ones and the Pequins. I always carry a couple beers out and take my time with them. May not look it, but I would be willing to bet the number of little pods in that wine glass are about as many as all the rest on the counter combined! 

I ate one of the Naga-Reapers and it was really good, and hot but not too overpowering!!! Another winner! The real deal one is only spitting out a pod or two every now and then...this one is freakin putting out some pods! A couple hundred this pull!!! I don't care what they look like...they all look the same once they're powdered!!!

MGOLD86 said:
Damn Shane, you are really rocking things! You are gonna need a bigger counter, you won't be able to fit everything there much longer! 

Really gnarly looking pods and loving the close ups!
Thanks Matt!!! I can't wait to move to the pool table again!!! I do have some mean stuff growing...but then again YOU DO TOO BROTHA!!! Woot!

poypoyking said:
Looking at your harvests every time I check in here almost makes me want to move somewhere a little warmer   Great haul again, hope you keep raking them in like that until you are sick of dealing with them!
Don't do it POY!!! Don't sacrifice them seasons for anything!!! Well...if I were you I'd trade your winter for another Spring...I won't ever get sick of dealing with the fruits I harvest! Maybe sick of the harvests themselves though...just so hot out there this time of year! :rofl:

PIC 1 said:
Shane,
You're an inspiration to the (PGA).............pepper growers association.............................if there were such a thing.............. 
But really....who would have thought to jump start their plants with a "D Cell".................sorry P-Son, couldn't pass on that one
Although those 7 Pot Congo's really put out a charge and are massive in size. Mine haven't ripened yet, I can't wait !
Once again, thats a huge harvest and takes quite a bit of time to cut from the plants. I missed the 1st half of a football game last season while picking. 
Probably won't happen this year, I plan to start picking half the plants at a time.
Have a great week man !
Greg!!! You got it...that's my secret! I hired the Energizer Bunny and he's out there running MH, HPS and CFLs 6 hours a night!!! Ah...and the best part, he does all the harvesting! I may be an inspiration brotha, but your the damn PGA president!!! I don't watch football too much anymore. I will catch some college games when a team I care about is actually on TV out here, but I skip Pro stuff...I may catch Monday and Thursday's game while I am up here in my cell block Barracks! Good plan, and it's how I usually do it. A few on Friday when I get home, then the rest Saturday Morning before everyone gets up...especially the SUN! I don't have half of half of the plant you do though...

Tyler: They are sweet little firecrackers with a lemony flavor. Like Habanero-Lemonade!

Thanks Greenman! I am having fun so far!!! I need to retire so I can do this stuff full time!

Thanks Dot!!! I am gone M-F. I am home Friday evening through Sunday. It helps...bigger harvests because I am not home picking every day. Plus I don't see them drooping from the heat and wanna give them a drink. It is hard to stay on top of pest issues though. Bugs I have handled...but I have had some fungal stuff with a couple. All in all I am doing better than I deserve!!!

Thanks again everyone!!! I will leave you with a couple pics of the BA pods that grew from some BA seeds that came from another BA member!!!
4wVupX9.jpg

BoiG9Ka.jpg

qBzVUaJ.jpg

a8li7YZ.jpg

Barrackpores with a stinger...and plenty of sting. I also sampled these bad boys this weekend and WOW! First off...the Barrackpores I had in the past were far from my favorite in the flavor category but from the first whiff of these I could tell that they weren't only better in the looks category. Those that have watched my BP reviews will remember both times I commented they had a soapy taste followed by the bitter capsaicin train...with a burn second to none especially in the gut. These were sweet with no "cheap perfume" in the scent and the taste was sweet and delicious from first bite. No floral...no soapy...pure perfection. These bad boys have that perfect sweet tangy flavor...only things separating this one from the "everyone's" favorite yellows are the lack of the strong citrus flavor and the BURN!!! Yellow pods are delicious and all...and some are hot...heck some REALLY hot, but this one is on a whole different level. Over the top...but no throat or gut burn!!!

Brent (DocNrock) you da man!!! Oh...almost forgot, you sent me these too!!!
EmAvD1f.jpg

Perfect Reapers...still haven't tasted the real deal...no I am not scared! :liar:

For comparison's sake...how about a couple of Primos from Vincent (Coheed)
AWbB7p7.jpg

1CzUECv.jpg

Uncanny really...The main differences are in texture and tail. The texture of the Primos is just as gnarly, but the smaller bumps on average. The tails are more pointed on the primo and blunt on the Reapers...for the most part anyway. Each having their exceptions to each-other's rules. All thrown in the same basket, I could probably get 75% right...

Ok...ok...just two a few more!!!
n5aXSnF.jpg

iieO6HO.jpg

:woohoo:

PuIed0a.jpg

Lightly crushed/bruised Charapitas. In a dill based vinegar, Mmmmmm....gonna be perfect on some greens! Left it home on purpose to make sure it mingles at least a week before I drain it!!!

Ok, ok...I really gotta go!!! :rofl: Dang...first the emoticon police...then the quote police...really???
Shane

Back