• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

I just can't keep up with you, Ikeep on reading and reading :P

Looking great as ever. Would pieces of any dried peppers do in the salt?

Charapita tree is amazing still, wow.

Shame about the bubblegum though, hope you have tim to isolate an other one.

Between the weather and the pods, it's looking very :hot: at the Casa de Shane! Geeze Chief... you're packing enough capsaicin weaponry to declare yourself a country and get a seat on the UN Security Council! (Alrighty Mr Assad... you wanna play with chemicals... say hello to Mr Primo! :flamethrower: :fireball: )

Hope you have a great holiday weekend with your family, and you do something fantastic on your grill. Cheers!

Nice update Shane!

Your plants are hanging in there despite the heat, and I know that look on the thermometer all too well!

That Birgits is insane!

Enjoy the 3 day!

Football in this heat?

wahlee76 said:
I just can't keep up with you, Ikeep on reading and reading :P

Looking great as ever. Would pieces of any dried peppers do in the salt?

Charapita tree is amazing still, wow.

Shame about the bubblegum though, hope you have tim to isolate an other one.
Hey wahlee!!! I think any pepper flakes would work pretty well, and had considered trying it. Gotta get a few more pepper mills though! I have a hard time keeping up with this glog myself!

stickman said:
Between the weather and the pods, it's looking very :hot: at the Casa de Shane! Geeze Chief... you're packing enough capsaicin weaponry to declare yourself a country and get a seat on the UN Security Council! (Alrighty Mr Assad... you wanna play with chemicals... say hello to Mr Primo! :flamethrower: :fireball: )

Hope you have a great holiday weekend with your family, and you do something fantastic on your grill. Cheers!
Haha...there is definitely no shortage of heat out there...and they just keep right on rolling in! Dunno about that weaponry stuff, but I do know that any body part exposed to these damn things purposefully or accidentally is not very happy for a while! Hope you had a great weekend yourself brotha!

Spicegeist said:

Wow!  What a crazy plant!
That thing is nuts for sure...and the best part about the whole thing is I would have never considered growing it if it weren't for the contest. What a great variety...words can't describe and photos can't capture how vigorous and prolific this species is!

Devv said:
Nice update Shane!

Your plants are hanging in there despite the heat, and I know that look on the thermometer all too well!

That Birgits is insane!

Enjoy the 3 day!

Football in this heat?
That freakin thermometer keeps a lot of stuff from getting done for sure. So terrible out there...and when the wind blows it doesn't help because it feels like a hair dryer blowing in your face. Could be worse though...I have seen the heat of the Persian Gulf several times...and in many of the countries there. Worst days were during the Shamal Winds...which would blow for days and act like a convection oven. The Birgits is loving live again...I found a water leak that was preventing it from getting a full drink on the timer...fixed that and it's grown several inches over the past few days. Two months until the finish!!! 

I have been really busy out there...reclaiming parts of the yard and cleaning up a bit. Two trips to the dump to drop off some yard waste that was too big to mulch/compost. I also shredded a bunch of the smaller stuff, and have some more to do today. I have cleaned the pool filters twice a day every day since Friday...and they need to be cleaned again. The pool finally looks good again though. These long weekends really do help me get almost caught up around here...ALMOST!

I am already planning/prepping a few areas I intend to use for another attempt at inground gardens next year. That involves moving my compost piles to those areas and letting them break down above the areas I wish to plant. This softens the soil and build up the beneficials as well as bringing in some free labor in the form of earthworms to loosen stuff up down below. I will make long low piles covering the whole area to be planted and every time I turn the compost I will work down a few more inches into the soil until I have a nice loam...hopefully. The only garden area I was able to work like this prior to last season grew my biggest plants including the 12' tall Bishop's Crown and a couple 7' tall Devil's tongues among other things...This winter I will also work in about 50 bags of manure and add worm castings (from my little worm farms) and perlite to the plant sites. I wish I would have taken some before pics...but I will start to document the progess of each of the sites as I go along.

As far as the garden goes...much of the same. Some really loving life...others clinging to life, but still more peppers than I can handle! I did a video but was having camera troubles...so its a little broken and confusing. I was also a little confused after working in the heat for 3 straight days...but you'll get the general idea. 

I started off with the Jay's Peach GHOST scorpion...and refered to it as a Jay's Peach Scorpion I think...but oh well. The vid gets cut about halfway through, then again at the end. The last plant is the Yellow Brain and it's loading up again. Here it is:
and a few pics...
6RMIDJV.jpg

Reaper (DocNrock)

uR639P9.jpg

Primo (Coheed)

V8p79It.jpg

Charapita and Pequin

g8OOHVy.jpg

Funky Jay's Peach Ghost-Scorpion

DjHcFwh.jpg

Numex Centennial...

w0QvZN4.jpg

This weeks pull...

A few foodies!!!
cNTvcYj.jpg

The makings of Saturday's brunch...that is the first fermented sauce I made from smoked Romy's Mysteries...very good stuff and worked well for...

Zhl1I2e.jpg

a very tangy/smokey and HOT plate of Huevos Rancheros, served on my finest Chinette!

and for today's breakfast I decided to finally sample one of the true Primos...
g7XP4pM.jpg

Full of oil but not nealy as much placenta as the Cross Matt ate...

U8Wrwwc.jpg

Sliced up on a piece of leftover Pizza. Flavor was really good and though they were real damn hot...they didn't overcook me. I actually went back and cut up another larger pod to add to the rest of the pizza. Very strong Chinense flavor, but not overpowering without the bitterness of its crossed sister plant. I really like this one...and it's going to make a great powder and I plan to sauce these straight up like I did with the Charapita pods. Nothing added but a touch of sugar to give the lacto something to eat. Pure Primo...wow it's gonna be HOT!

Aight folks I still have a ton to do...and the thermometer already says 98 out there before noon! Ughhh. Hope you all made the most of your Labor Day weekends!
Shane

Nice update Shane!

Beautiful plants and poddage!

The video is buffering and will have a look when it catches up...is it me or Youtube....LOL

Yeah, it's sure been hot, I was out at  7 and worked until 12:30 98 in the shade here now..ready for the upcoming break!

Foodies look great! I really want to ferment some pods later this season.

Hope your 3 day was a good one!

Aight caught the vid, ton of plants !!!

I'm amazed that you do so well on auto pilot.

Also forget to mention very nice pull this weekend!

Shane, I love your garden video it’s awesome to see all your plants while you are narrating, great job! If you identify the issue you call “da funk” please let me know, I think one of my MoAs has something funky going on and ferts have not helped her. Sad to see your Bhut Indian Carbon :/ But man everything looks great and podding like mad \o/

How does the White 7-Pot taste? I just started soaking some seeds that MeatFreak sent me and I’m looking forward to tasting her.

Your harvests are incredibly huge, awesome … hope to have something ½ that much someday … Dam your Charapita is like a PEZ dispenser pumping out pods non-stop … hats off mon \o_

BTW great pics and review!!! … hope you have a great week!

Devv said:
Nice update Shane!

Beautiful plants and poddage!

The video is buffering and will have a look when it catches up...is it me or Youtube....LOL

Yeah, it's sure been hot, I was out at  7 and worked until 12:30 98 in the shade here now..ready for the upcoming break!

Foodies look great! I really want to ferment some pods later this season.

Hope your 3 day was a good one!

Aight caught the vid, ton of plants !!!

I'm amazed that you do so well on auto pilot.

Also forget to mention very nice pull this weekend!
Thanks Scott...I'm almost convinced that I do so well BECAUSE of autopilot. I'm not here to overwater or overfeed or over...anything else!

WalkGood said:
Shane, I love your garden video it’s awesome to see all your plants while you are narrating, great job! If you identify the issue you call “da funk” please let me know, I think one of my MoAs has something funky going on and ferts have not helped her. Sad to see your Bhut Indian Carbon :/ But man everything looks great and podding like mad \o/

How does the White 7-Pot taste? I just started soaking some seeds that MeatFreak sent me and I’m looking forward to tasting her.

Your harvests are incredibly huge, awesome … hope to have something ½ that much someday … Dam your Charapita is like a PEZ dispenser pumping out pods non-stop … hats off mon \o_

BTW great pics and review!!! … hope you have a great week!
That Charapita is exactly like a PEZ dispenser. I am convinced that immediately following each time I pull all the ripe ones...a fresh bunch of ripe pods push up from underneath. No other explanation for why I can pick every ripe pod only to come by 5 minutes later and find another 3 or 4 DOZEN ripe ones on there...The harvests are slowing down a little bit, but still more than I need.

The 7 white has a wonderful flavor...I will try to send you some off the next pull.

Didn't get much done out there this weekend other than a quick foliar feed and the picking today, which took a WHILE. The harvests may look smaller...or the same, but in reality the numbers of pods picked is probably close to double what my previous "larger" harvest were. Between the wilds alone I pulled around 1,500 pods or so...anyway here are the weeks picks...

Ea8l1Tf.jpg

Speaking of wilds...here are my two star performers looking stunning as always!

o580VSM.jpg

Here is the Charapita's cousin that Jason sent me...doing very well. No doubt that this Wild Brazil and the Charapita are close...but not the same. So excited to have them both this season!!! Thanks again Jason! Anyone that's been following me this year or last can look at the company this plant keeps and know how much I like it! It is sandwiched between two Romy Mystery crosses and in front of my Goat's Weed...great neighborhood!

BefH6dS.jpg

The beginnings of a Numex Centennial Bonchi...

wm4qtzW.jpg

The Birgits are coming the Birgits are coming!!!

kdPq94e.jpg

and MANY more to follow!!!

VKYnHr8.jpg

This is where Heaven and Hell intersect...Manzano's on the right and Jamie's Brain Strain on the left...

x9dGvrD.jpg

Here are a cluster of Primo Crosses catching the first rays of morning sun, cloaked in spider webs and hanging out over the pool...

iUrDnaZ.jpg

Look at my Douglah Pia!!!

UldoGQ0.jpg

Here is today's pull...still kicking!!! :dance:

Finally...the only football game worth watching yesterday wasn't even televised!?!?!?!?
pc6IcUS.jpg

Check out that Caver kid blocking two defenders...they didn't stand a chance! Final score Poway Gators 22  Oceanside Rebels 0

Devv said:
Very nice Shane!
Great pull there too!

That Brain looks like it's ready to eat the Manzano.

Pia, those spidy's are a good thing. Anything that traps the bad guys is welcome in my casa! Well...in the garden..
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: ya the garden... not me casa!!!  Scott, they cant be within 30 feet of any door. :rofl: but the garden, ya.  I have the hubby go knock down the webs and spot em for me tho.  I have a lot that make wholes in the soil and live in the ground with no web around the hole.  Dont know what they are, but I found about five spread out holes and when dirt hit the hole entrance, from weeding, they popped out.  I dont like those.  :confused:

Fantastic stuff as usual, Shane. Loved the hell and heaven shot and the web of Douglah. Wonder how many stories Birgit will go? Already exceeded one. I got a feeling you have that one too, hon. Thanks for the entire plant web shot for Pia!

Sanarda said:
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: ya the garden... not me casa!!!  Scott, they cant be within 30 feet of any door. :rofl: but the garden, ya.  I have the hubby go knock down the webs and spot em for me tho.  I have a lot that make wholes in the soil and live in the ground with no web around the hole.  Dont know what they are, but I found about five spread out holes and when dirt hit the hole entrance, from weeding, they popped out.  I dont like those.  :confused:

Pia, you surely don't have him knock down webs and kill in garden . . . but something tells me you do. I have this flooding/immersion in vivo type thing for arachnophobia. Only spider that worries me has "MITE" after "spider" but we can work with this! Am a fully licensed counselor and capable of bringing a ton of spiders to you for this exercise and we have to go at your pace, of course :evil: :liar: :rofl: Just kiddin' widya woman: everybody has a fear. At least your open about yours! :clap:

annie57 said:
Fantastic stuff as usual, Shane. Loved the hell and heaven shot and the web of Douglah. Wonder how many stories Birgit will go? Already exceeded one. I got a feeling you have that one too, hon. Thanks for the entire plant web shot for Pia!

Pia, you surely don't have him knock down webs and kill in garden . . . but something tells me you do. I have this flooding/immersion in vivo type thing for arachnophobia. Only spider that worries me has "MITE" after "spider" but we can work with this! Am a fully licensed counselor and capable of bringing a ton of spiders to you for this exercise and we have to go at your pace, of course :evil: :liar: :rofl: Just kiddin' widya woman: everybody has a fear. At least your open about yours! :clap:
And notice Shanes end of season photos has included not one spider at at time but multiple little baby satan spawns......I just cant Annie.  I think I would just lay down and surrender to God.....

Go Poway Gators brother. He looks like he is a beast. Gonna be playing for the Trojans in a few years I predict.  :party:

Plants look spectacular as usual brother. Don't think I could keep up processing all those chili's brother man. 

Look, look … up in the sky, it’s a Bird... it’s a Plane ... Nooo, it’s Super Pod Mon.

Faster than a speeding tiller, more powerful than a Deere tractor, able to leap giant Birgit pepper plants in a single bound. Who disguised as Shane, mild mannered officer, hahahaha … … fights the unending battle for truth, justice, and the American pod farmer way.

Great job mon every ting looking great \o/

That birgits is diculous!
Glad your enjoying the WB. I picked a couple hundred yesterday and twice
that unripe still for next week.
Everything is still crushing it, much like your son appears to be doing to those poor boys!

Hi Shane,
   Doing a little ketchup after a busy weekend... Everything looks great except for the ones that are telling you they want a rest by dropping leaves... Just like my Chocolate Habs. The Birgits and wilds look particularly good for you this year. I suppose the wilds will end up as either relish or powder... what's your plan for the Birgits? You're gonna have a jeezly amount of pods coming in from them, and if they're anything like the Omnicolors, they can take some light freezes and still keep on producing. Do you have any tiendas nearby that would be interested in buying your extras?

Foodies are looking good... you really pushed my buttons with the pic of the Huevos Rancheros... one of my favorite breakfast foods. When do you think you'll be switching over from picking to processing? At the rate you're going that'll probably be sometime in November!

Cheers!

Shane great pod, plant, harvest and food shots !
That Birgit is climbing up that stake faster than Boston Ivy...
The Huevos Rancheros  looks outstanding !......................finest chinette............ :rofl: I'd,.. wipe up every last bit of goodness with another tortilla.
Ornamental bonchi..........for sure ! That will be a colorful one.
Gators in Poway ?........... :D
Your glog has inspired me to go home and water my garden..............once again...

as always .. bumper crop shane;.. nice birgit.. mine is about the same size as last months. well over 4' hahha.. btw i got seeds harvested for the OSU mater plants.. the seeds came from the maters i grew out this year that the mites destroyed.. imma send them your way tomrrow.. btw.. hows the bbg.. still throwing pods?

Back