• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Damn. Nice pull I knew I should've passed by your house. Was there all weekend but thought you'd be busy. I did meet up with Heidi at la jolla beach. Nice. Very good work.
Thanks Denniz! Cool you met up with Heidi...she sounds very nice. I should have open flowers on the one plant I kept...we'll see when I get to work. Almost time to pot it up to 5#!!!

WalkGood said:
You've been one busy ChiliHead mon, awesome work ... so when's the 3rd freezer coming into play ;)
Dude...this is nuts! I keep thinking they're about done with this round...but then another plant ripens a bunch...and the wilds and birgits alone are a full time job!!! No third freezer...Powdered about 3#s of pods this week...and will put 4 or 5 in the freezer :rofl: ...Haha, what a great problem to have right??? 

stickman said:
I think you've got the right idea Shane... if you run out of freezer space, it's time to start making sauces and powders... and boy, do you have a lot of those going!
I do have a bunch of sauces and powders going...and keep adding to it. Still a losing battle, but the ferments are quick and easy to get going. I just need some bigger jars! 

Jamison said:
Holy hell brotha! What a bunch of pods, if you dont know that already! Pepper God!
Thanks Jamison...they're keeping me freaking crazy busy for sure. I didn't even want to go pull them this weekend...but I got around to it!  :party: Pepper God??? Awwww...shucks. :oops:

Pr0digal_son said:
Hab shot for you brother. I will get weights on some today.

Cracking down on internet use at work so my glog activity has been slow,been wearing out the like button. You are getting some insane numbers,I don't ever want that much! I have a package for you that is about 1/3 complete. I will be using John Doe on the envelope so your wife can't track me.
Now that's a giant alright!!! Mine still have the chocolate and twisted part down...but still working on the giant part...they're still pretty beefy though!

romy6 said:
2 words. Simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Three back at ya...YOU DA MAN!!! :clap:

mlh5953 said:

Cool! I'll be sure to.
Thanks!
Aight keep watching...maybe next weekend, I have a bunch of folks asking for some, so I will try to send some out soon.

DevilsEyes said:
Awesome, enjoyed reading this topic and learned alot!

Thanks for sharing the info.

Greets,

Oli
Thanks DE!!! Most of the stuff on here I learned surfing around this site myself...some with my own twist on it. Sure are some smart folks on here...not that I'm one of 'em! :beer:

stickman said:
Geez Shane, you must be busier than I've been lately, since we haven't heard much from you. Hope all's well and you're just chillin' with your peeps. Cheers!
Dude...you have no idea Rick. I got a ton of stuff done this weekend, but kinda like my freezer issue. Things out there are stacking up faster than I can get to them. 

annie57 said:

My vote's for 2 uprights more at least!

Well-spoken, sweet Jamie! (Whew!)
I have an old upright in the garage that's empty...hasn't been fired up in years...wonder if it still works, hmmmm. :think:  

So as mentioned several times above...these are some busy days. All the work to get done out there...son's football weigh ins and a housewarming to go to...and prepare POPPERS for. Add to those things the wrong kind of phone calls coming in from work and derailing my efforts. Ughhh...I try to set work aside on the weekends, but when you're in the Military you're never really OFF work. Luckily nobody got hurt or arrested...although both of those were real possibilities in this situation. I did get to refocus my efforts today. Its 105 degrees according to the thermometer on my porch...in the shade. Weather.com disagrees...but eff them, its freakin HOT!!! 

My true Reaper and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion got potted up from 7 to 10. Trying something different. Used 2 parts composted cow manure, 2 parts Miracle Grow Moisture Control and one part perlite. If the plants like it I will be doing similar from here on out.

Here are some pics of whats happening out there...
qABzhZU.jpg

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion...none freaking ripening yet!!!

PQyUmbE.jpg

Won't be too much longer though!!!

LuVXXJb.jpg

Primo (coheed)

ei4S8Vj.jpg

Primo Cross (coheed)

XF4bcUm.jpg

Primo (Coheed)

6W0aFzV.jpg

Brain Strain 7 Pot (coheed)

SeQWQY0.jpg

Brain Strain 7 Pot (coheed)

k4zEF4Y.jpg

Douglah (coheed)

WtkZz9s.jpg

Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (cmpman1974 via Pr0digal_son)

Also got around to isolating a few that I really like...

ccPWSae.jpg

This is the Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion. Others I am trying to isolate are the large Yellow Brains, Monster Infinity, Bubble Gum, Primo, Primo Cross, Romy's and Coheeds Brain Strains, Douglahs, Giant Twisted Chocolate Habs, and the mystery Yellows, there's probably more I am forgetting...

Few more with a bump in a bit...

Thank you...Fellas!!!
WrcOx7w.jpg

Still got a few more creepers out there...well one less after this one's tragic high velocity accident.

cevpfAj.jpg

Reaper...(DocNrock) 

HnAVFi1.jpg

Remember that little plant that Jason (GA Growhead) sent me??? It's getting all grow'd up!!! Setting about a billion pods too!!!

B4O5cCP.jpg

This guy is confused...think he was pollinating some of the other local crops before he visited my garden... :high:

cxvQOua.jpg

Always gotta post a shot of the Charapitas too!!! This one is in a shadier local...and LOVING IT. 5# Container and this plant is now as large as some of the big boys!!!

0RntbTq.jpg

This is just one small spot on one huge plant...only spent a little over an hour pulling these today! 

sDNOIAw.jpg

Dried Charapita and Pequin pods, Peppercorns, and Coarse sea salt...went into a pepper mill and is freakin fantastic!

mPqLItl.jpg

4 FULL trays of Yellow Brains into the dehydrator yesterday. They recommend leaving more space between the stuff you're drying...but after just a couple hours of drying time...the shrink and leave plenty of room...so LOAD IT UP Y'ALL!!!

nwlmSGP.jpg

Did I mention I made Poppers...

1vMnn2m.jpg

Oh...and today's pull!!! :party:  :woohoo:  :dance: They just keep right on rockin it y'all!!!

Thanks for stopping by errybody...and all the kind words.
Shane

Good lord.....it's almost disgusting Shane......almost..

Winning a little here, winning a little there...

I love those little pods! My one plant this year makes me wish I had 20 more! Mine look like corn kernels. From a distance they look roud but when you pop them off, they are kernel shaped and have little points at the bottom. Too cool.

I respect how you get so much done. I am constantly fighting myself to get my lazy ass up and do things I want/need/should do lol. You're a beast!!

I think the Brigit's thread died down because everyone knows you've got it in the bag.

I’ll pass on any hornworm comments other than saying it’s great to read he met a tragic demise, lol

Peach Ghost Scorpions, Reapers, Primos, Brain Strain 7 Pots, Douglahs, Chocolate Habs, Charapitas, infused sea salt, dehydrating Yellow Brains, Poppers and massive harvests … Dam I’ve died and gone to pepper heaven … Simply awesome brethrern!

DAYYYYYUUUM!  Now THAT is what I am talkin bout! Amazing pull, great pods, and I know you are in like pod overload! I cant wait to plant me some chaparitas next season!

Oh, and I am stealin that hot salt idea!

3/5King said:
Good lord.....it's almost disgusting Shane......almost..

Winning a little here, winning a little there...

I love those little pods! My one plant this year makes me wish I had 20 more! Mine look like corn kernels. From a distance they look roud but when you pop them off, they are kernel shaped and have little points at the bottom. Too cool.

I respect how you get so much done. I am constantly fighting myself to get my lazy ass up and do things I want/need/should do lol. You're a beast!!

I think the Brigit's thread died down because everyone knows you've got it in the bag.
Thanks Dave...I wish I could get it all done, but I just plain can't. I spend my share of lazy time too. I sit and play Xbox with my son for an hour or two each day on the weekend and then there's all the time on here!!! I didn't get around to giving the plants their dose of aspirin/neem oil today like I wanted though. Still have some sick ones out there, but I'm no longer worried about them. If they all die tomorrow...I've had one helluva season! I dunno about the Birgits win just yet...she's really slowed down. I think all her potential is going into making and ripening pods right now. She's still inching her way up though...maybe if I cleaned all the pods off her she'd shoot up a bit??? I don't have time to pull all 3-4 thousand pods off her though. So if she wins...she wins! If not...I sure gave it a hell of a run!!! John told me to put her in that spot...thanks Pr0d!!!

romy6 said:
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  
:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  

Sanarda said:
geeseeeeeeeeee  asljfasljlskjdfj  That is an insane amount of peppers
Hey lady...yes it is. I am insane for planting this many!!! I don't have very many duplicates out there...and there are just so many different types I really want to grow!!!! 

WalkGood said:
I’ll pass on any hornworm comments other than saying it’s great to read he met a tragic demise, lol

Peach Ghost Scorpions, Reapers, Primos, Brain Strain 7 Pots, Douglahs, Chocolate Habs, Charapitas, infused sea salt, dehydrating Yellow Brains, Poppers and massive harvests … Dam I’ve died and gone to pepper heaven … Simply awesome brethrern!
Yeah...poor guy hit the pool deck pretty hard. Little pieces of hornworm went everywhere, rest in pieces little hornworm. Thanks my man...

MGOLD86 said:
DAYYYYYUUUM!  Now THAT is what I am talkin bout! Amazing pull, great pods, and I know you are in like pod overload! I cant wait to plant me some chaparitas next season!

Oh, and I am stealin that hot salt idea!
Thanks Matt...you're about to have some crazy ones too. September is gonna be a booming month at the Golden estate! 

That salt...pepper...pod...idea I have been thinking about for a while. When I dried the first round of Charapitas and saw that they're almost exactly the same size as pepper corns I went for it. Here are a couple more pics...
V1fqm0V.jpg

In this harvest shot you can see the grinder of goodies on the left...

lE3j4TI.jpg

...here is what it looks like up close. Little too heavy on the salt...so I am going to dry another round of pods to remix and put back in there. Still real good, but if you grind enough to get a good pepper flavor...its too salty. Works like a charm though, so it's just a question of playing with the mix a bit.

TXxj4Xg.jpg

Here's one that didn't make the cut earlier...this is another of the Peach Ghost Scorpion branches. After I got done potting it up I also used some 550 cord to tie the branches up in hopes the dogs won't snap them off.

VMZ2TnK.jpg

Here is the Friday night grill shot...

2jRP7F2.jpg

This one was eaten with dinner...its a small one off the Primo X. There are pods 5X this size on that plant. This little sucker packed a punch. Very hot...and although I ate it with food...I believe it may be even hotter than the Reaper I ate. Intense overpowering flavor...but a good flavor. I should really eat one outright and see how it stacks up...but ummm...well I am just too busy. :rofl:

I also roasted and peeled all the Numex/Anaheims today...I was thinking I may do a how-to step by step vid of how to  do that. Anyone want to see that? I dunno...second nature for me, but I get a ton of questions about how to do it. 

Puter crashed...and the restored content deleted the names off the quotes...ughhh. Oh well...y'all can figure it out!

Have a great week folks!
Shane

Hey...it put the names back in!!! Now if I can just get the emoticon police off my back...

Damn Shane! That's a haul!
Glad to see the wild brazil is large and in charge.
Looking happy. I found mine, after the pods are good and ripe, that the stem will just let go from the branches, with the pepper, stem and all falling to the ground. A quick shake, or a hand rub across and the really ripes on just drop and i pick them up.
Sitting for a hour picking the little guys on the charapitas must have been serious. Hope you had a cold one help you through!

That's an amazing harvest, Shane.  I think you need to punish enlighten some of your trouble-makers with some good, honest agricultural work. 

What are the smooth, round, orange peppers on the far right above?  Manzano/rocoto?  Alma paprika?

Love the look of your "new mix" salt, reading I see you will be reducing the amount of salt, I would try one without any salt as well to see how it works and tastes.

You da Mon, I love dat idea! And the pics look great!

Edit: awesome foodies to boot :)

Shane you continue to amaze me with the pulls you get. Your garden really loves you brother :)

The grinder idea is really cool. Not to mention that it would look really great sitting on the table at a dinner party. Well, I guess till a few guests who don't know better provide some Fire Face entertainment for those who do.

Do you think the 550 chord will be strong enough to hold up the branches of those Peach Ghost Scorpion, might have to use some steel cable for that as big as those pods are ;)

Have a great week Brother!

Show off. Lol. Fruits of your labor love it man. You done alright. Samples. ?! My PP plants will be going in 3 gals. Don't have space in the front for 5gals.

Shane, I just stopped in to check the progress.....and it looks like your still going strong!  

Well done bro, I'm still amazed at all this podage!  

My pods have just started to show ( Damn cool 2013 weather ) but I'm happy to say your Glog has helped me maintain my patience.

Kuddos 

GA Growhead said:
Damn Shane! That's a haul!
Glad to see the wild brazil is large and in charge.
Looking happy. I found mine, after the pods are good and ripe, that the stem will just let go from the branches, with the pepper, stem and all falling to the ground. A quick shake, or a hand rub across and the really ripes on just drop and i pick them up.
Sitting for a hour picking the little guys on the charapitas must have been serious. Hope you had a cold one help you through!
Thanks Jason! Your WB is larger and in charger now!!! :rofl: Those Charapitas stay stuck tough...only way to do it is roll it off the Calyx. The one I put in the 5# nursery is freaking massive...I have placed a lawn chair in front of it for picking sessions. The other one is up on a table...definitely the way to go with the small podded ones that put out crazy numbers. 

Sawyer said:
That's an amazing harvest, Shane.  I think you need to punish enlighten some of your trouble-makers with some good, honest agricultural work. 

What are the smooth, round, orange peppers on the far right above?  Manzano/rocoto?  Alma paprika?
Lol...that would make the cover of the Navy times. I took some pods to work this week and we served them up with breakfast burritos this morning. Sauteed in bacon fat...mmmmmm. Even mixed with about 50% Birgits and Ajis it was still blistering. I double warned everyone and the few pods left on the table got scooped up for folks to take home. They included Yellow Brains, Red Brains, Monster Infinities along with the Birgits and Ajis...well all but one got scooped up. There was a dare...then $20 offered...then I left to avoid being blamed.  :rofl: He ate a monster infinity...then puked up a monster infinity. 

The far right are Manzanos!!! They've been kicking ass lately! 

WalkGood said:
Love the look of your "new mix" salt, reading I see you will be reducing the amount of salt, I would try one without any salt as well to see how it works and tastes.

You da Mon, I love dat idea! And the pics look great!

Edit: awesome foodies to boot 
Thanks Ramon! We kicked around the idea of omitting the salt...but I kinda like it in there. May even buy some of that fancy pink sea salt to dress it up. But I will cut way back on it. My list of stuff to do includes drying another bag of them little guys this weekend!

RocketMan said:
Shane you continue to amaze me with the pulls you get. Your garden really loves you brother :)

The grinder idea is really cool. Not to mention that it would look really great sitting on the table at a dinner party. Well, I guess till a few guests who don't know better provide some Fire Face entertainment for those who do.

Do you think the 550 chord will be strong enough to hold up the branches of those Peach Ghost Scorpion, might have to use some steel cable for that as big as those pods are ;)

Have a great week Brother!
Bill!!! How you doing brotha and how's that new house treating you? Gotta get over there and check your progress! The Charapita Salt/Pepper isn't terribly hot...but its got a little kick to it. Tame enough for almost anyone to be able to handle though. 550 cord is rated...well to 550lbs, so I sure hope I need to at least double it!!! 

Devv said:
I'm thinking of the letter "P"

Plants, pics, pods, poppers, pepper haul, pit full of meat, pepper grinder, PERFECT!

Have a great week!
P8!!! That's a ton of P! 

Sanarda said:
I absolutely love love love this glog. It is this years my fave

:oops:  :cheers:  Thanks lady...you're just sayin that because I laid off the spider pics! Here is your warning...there may be one in this post!

mlh5953 said:
Wow! That's an incredible haul!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Show off. Lol. Fruits of your labor love it man. You done alright. Samples. ?! My PP plants will be going in 3 gals. Don't have space in the front for 5gals.
I tell ya Denniz...its because I'm only home on the weekends! My one little plant is just about to open a few flowers...she's looking rough though. I have her at work and she got hit hard by aphids. I have been picking them off each afternoon...but finally just topped it and we'll see how it goes from there. You're plants will do just fine in 3# for the rest of the season!

PepTalk said:
 Shane, I just stopped in to check the progress.....and it looks like your still going strong!  

Well done bro, I'm still amazed at all this podage!  

My pods have just started to show ( Damn cool 2013 weather ) but I'm happy to say your Glog has helped me maintain my patience.

Kuddos 
Thanks Pep! Actually...I am pretty amazed as well! They were all hurting for a bit, but started feeding again and they are really putting it together now. Even the really sick ones are starting to kick their funk. Timing has been awesome...all the ones that ripened a bunch of pods early on are loading up again, and the later starts are ripening their pods now. Once these are done with this wave of pods...the original plants will be coloring up again. My pull may be a little smaller over the next couple weeks, but not much!!! I am very blessed, and lucky. I made a couple good decisions and with half the plants I had last season...I have already almost equaled last years production!  

We've been really lucky with only a couple blistering hot spells this summer...but we're knee deep in one now. 108 today at the house! :fire:
I waited for a reasonable temp to go outside and work...
l6Kvzrx.jpg

:eek:

3zeDPS1.jpg

The plants are not too pleased with it either...but they're staying alive. I bet these Dougies are gonna be freakin painful. Matt...you asked why my pods are so hot...ummm...I dunno???

For those that didn't see it...Matt reviewed a few of my pods. This one was a surprise Primo Cross from Coheed:
I have eaten a couple with food...and they're pretty freakin bad. The ones I sent him were smallish too. Although not the smallest.
FnV4kpA.jpg

Here are some more typical sized pods on the plant!

yPSfnWf.jpg

and a wide shot of the plant...hard to tell how loaded it is...and there are branches down low that are so loaded that...

ZWereby.jpg

They're draped over the sides of the container!

Cwf7HlK.jpg

Oh..oh...look!!! Color on the Jay's Peach!!! Won't be long now! Like I mentioned earlier...one variety finishes a round then another heavy hitter starts to color up! Can't wait to try these pods!!!!!

mnXdj8m.jpg

Was taking a pic of the one in the center coloring up...then noticed the cool one on the left patting its buddy on the head! Need to go back to the plant and get some closeups of that pod tomorrow!

rlTd5xJ.jpg

This plant is guarded by the LARGEST Green Lynx Spider I have ever seen! 

19UqXKK.jpg

The Birgits is still climbing...this tree is unbelievable! 10' 5"

Not all peaches and cream...while I was pulling ripe Birgits...the puppies got a little to riled up and...
amWzAFb.jpg

Broke the healthiest branch off my bubblegum...and it HAD to be the one I chose to try to isolate on! :doh: Dang thing was so loaded with pods it cracked the pool deck when it landed!!! :rofl: 

It for today...I have a busy weekend ahead. A run to the dump tomorrow morning, and my son's first football game of the season tomorrow afternoon. So glad to have a 3 day! Hope I can put a dent in the yard work. It's so dang hot though...ughhh. I forgot my computer cord this week, so I am way behind on everyone's glogs...hope I can get caught up!

Back