• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Ah...the crazy world of Zinnia's, so many colors to choice from. They'll be throwing out flower heads in no time.

Peppers look great ! so do dem chops ! Never enough great food going on here...keep it going bro...

Damn Shane, your plants are looking wonderful. I'm still not due to start for a few days :mope: You are going to be the great 5 star General of a massive green army. Killing any Aphid, slug or bug that might come your way..

:dance:
Thanks Dave...I think more than a couple aphids will slip by, slugs too. Hate them damn thangs!

Shane I’ve been ignoring this page, the food drives me crazy ¯\(º_o)/¯ with hunger! Brilliant work brethren :) Even though I had lunch a little while ago, I could eat again, hehe. I gotta tell ya the look of all the leaves are near perfect, you indoor guys have a grand advantage as they should be healthy and strong with excellent leaves by the time they hit the dirt. Keep on jamming mon!!!
Ramon...its futile resisting the foodie pics...especially YOURS! Them plants look perdy now, so said to put them out in the mean world full of nasites. They'll get hit by the ugly stick here shortly...couple weeks-a month 'till plant out depending on forecast...

Looking wild Shane ... food is looking good even though its breakfast time here .... there is never a bad time for good food.... keep on rolling bro
Thanks Tripp! I love pork chops and eggs for breakfast! They're kicking fo sho!

Ah...the crazy world of Zinnia's, so many colors to choice from. They'll be throwing out flower heads in no time.

Peppers look great ! so do dem chops ! Never enough great food going on here...keep it going bro...
Yeah, mama pics out the flowers...Zinnias are a good one with our summer heat, should make for a colorful summer! Underestimated their growth rate a bit...had to move the lights up on their end of the shelf! Hopefully I can go ahead with them in ground this weekend, rolling the dice a little, but with them sprouting in a day and a half and growing a foot in three weeks if I have to start a few more so be it!

Best not let the better half read dis ;)
Shhhh....I ain't tellin :shh:

I came home last night to a nice surprise. I ordered a few packs of seeds from coheed, and ended up with 6 pack of seeds from coheed! Included were Billy Boy Douglah, Red and Yellow Brains, Primos, 7 pot Chaguanas and PI 441598. I got some seeds dirty this morning...cleaned out one tray full of no-shows, bleached it and fattened up a few new pellets. Put them on to soak last night, and got up at 0300 to get them dirty dis morning...into the dirt went Primos, Billy Boys (my Douglahs were no shows) Brain Strains and 6 double planted pellets of the growdown seeds Birgits Locoto. Also dirty are some "Spoon" tomatoes, Red Robin Tomatoes and Red Zebra Tomatoes...
growdown1_zpsd4184e38.jpg

Here they are...not the best pic, but they're freaking pellets with freaking seeds in them whadda ya want!

The plants in the growroom have quickly adapted to their new shoes and really started to take the Eff-Off!
IMG_1216_zps073f6b0a.jpg

Here is a Belize Market Scotch Bonnet from Greg (Pic1)

IMG_1217_zpsb366648b.jpg

7 Congo SR...

IMG_1218_zps7a0e11af.jpg

PI438638...

IMG_1219_zps859b57df.jpg

Closer look at the PI 438638 budding up...

IMG_1220_zps8d95d0d5.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon...

IMG_1222_zps50f91388.jpg

The tray full of "little brothers" Still in their smaller pots...but they'll need a pot up soon.

IMG_1224_zps09b88282.jpg

The toddlers...they're starting to shift gears too, won't be long. Think these guys will time their growth perfect for plant out!

IMG_1225_zps2ec171d0.jpg

Here is the cotyless Brain Strain...second set of true forming. I knew it would be a slow start without its cotys, if it made it. Will start to pick up some speed now with the true leaves getting a little bigger!

IMG_1229_zps9686ccb6.jpg

Here is the "Top Shelf" money shot...my own personal little jungle! If I still lived in South Texas, I would catch a couple tree frogs to throw in there!

That's it for now folks...snapped a few bonus pics and may put them up tonight...have a happy V-day everyone!
Shane

Nice looking plants shane. My mother has been growing zinnia for 30+ years. I did some last year and they do grow fast under flouros. Did you say you were doing columbine too? What varities if so? One of my favorite flowers.

Your grow is outstanding, brother. I'm going to just pull mine up
and watch yours take off.
Great demo on the powders, as well. Everything looks top notch.

Man, those plants are really taken off........Hold on to the Reins......cause they're gonna take you for a wild ride...........yee-haw !

I just went back and looked at your "Top Shelf" photo again, I swear they just got taller !................... :shocked:

Quit the Jungle you got growing under those lights! When will you be able to start putting some outside to harden off?
Thanks Brit! A couple weeks to a month depending on the extended forecast. If I can keep them in there with enough room, I may wait until the last week of March since I have leave scheduled...but they're growing pretty fast, so that'll be iffy.

Nice looking plants shane. My mother has been growing zinnia for 30+ years. I did some last year and they do grow fast under flouros. Did you say you were doing columbine too? What varities if so? One of my favorite flowers.
Thanks John! I like Zinnias, and have grown them before, but never indoors as starts. Some folks claim it may affect flower production if you transplant??? Who cares...

The Columbine is a Barlow Mix, nothing fancy. They were the hardest to germ of all the flowers...and are pretty slow to grow so far, but look to be doing well. We shall see...

Yeah, that's the money shot for sure! Keep up the good work!
Thanks Rick...think your money shot is this weekend when you get some Manzanos to POP! I can feel it!

Your grow is outstanding, brother. I'm going to just pull mine up
and watch yours take off.
Great demo on the powders, as well. Everything looks top notch.

Lol...don't you dare pull up your plants Paul! Your garden was fun to watch last year, with all your innovative ideas, and beautiful landscaping. Can't wait 'till yours make the move out into your little oasis...

Nice pics bro ...they are. growing like mushrooms!!!

Thanks Trippa! I didn't have any time to do any fancy shots (not that I am capable)...just a few quick snaps while I was home last night for an update. They're making me proud for sure!

Man, those plants are really taken off........Hold on to the Reins......cause they're gonna take you for a wild ride...........yee-haw !

I just went back and looked at your "Top Shelf" photo again, I swear they just got taller !................... :shocked:
Step back Greg...I don't know how big these get! Being away a few days to a week at a time you can REALLY tell the difference. I half expected a little stall as the roots bit into the new soil...but not so much. Just down shifted and floored it. I really do wish they were as easy as those freakin zinnias...every time I water them they seem to grow 2" overnight!

Well, I have a few more pics that didn't make the cut this morning, but since I'm updating WTH...
IMG_1230_zpsed8faabd.jpg

Here is the grow room...on the floor is a mix of gladiolus, lilies...my son't potatoes and there are even some dwarf sunflowers back there. I have already moves several lilies out to the porch. Waiting on a few more bulbs to sprout before the rest get moved. The bottom shelf has been expanded by about 3" and will have to be moved again soon...The top lights are adjustable by chain, and had to be moved again last night, both shelves have a dedicated fan which runs with their light cycles.

IMG_1227_zps00329553.jpg

Here's a shot with the reflectors removed...

IMG_1226_zps5f14d617.jpg

...another of the top shelf, with some of the Zinnias in the foreground the six pack tray to the far left are some of the columbine John..

IMG_1221_zps5caf7acd.jpg

Just another shot of the "Little Brothers" pictured above with the focus toward the front. More columbine in front...

Last but not least...forgot to check something I suspected was going on last night, so before I left the house this morning I went back out to take a peek at something and sure enough!!!
IMG_1231_zps60147a24.jpg

Lookie lookie...the Explosive Embers are starting to open up some flowers! Will be fun to see if these guys set pods under the floros...never pushed all the way to production under lights??? We shall see...SOON! I didn't try to check for pollen, or try to mess with pollination at all, wanna see if the fan is enough.

Thanks again everyone, overwhelming the amount of support I get on here...and it's truly flattering to have you all looking at my crap! I've been trying desperately to keep up with everyone else' grow...THERE ARE SO MANY!!! I hit most of 'em daily though. 3 Day for me this weekend...so standby for update overload everybody!

Shane

Outstanding, Shane! the EE is taking off for sure.
The grow closet/shelf looks like the ticket - How many
times if at all have you fed the plants?

I'm with you, I haven't feed my seedlings anything for fear I burn dem up mon. Using chicken shiz, banana, seaweed tea, etc gives me the fear that I'll kill dem. Oh I lied, my apologies forgot mon, gave them a super small taste of WG tea diluted down less than 50/50 yesterday and dem still livin so far. But I gotta tell ya, my little girls don't look as hot as yours, lol. Great job mon!

Edit: great last shot of pics too!!!

They are looking very nice Shane. Like the story of the Brain without cotyledons making it. I have four of those. Three are looking good but number four isn't. Time will tell.

I'm with you, I haven't feed my seedlings anything for fear I burn dem up mon. Using chicken shiz, banana, seaweed tea, etc gives me the fear that I'll kill dem. Oh I lied, my apologies forgot mon, gave them a super small taste of WG tea diluted down less than 50/50 yesterday and dem still livin so far. But I gotta tell ya, my little girls don't look as hot as yours, lol. Great job mon!

Edit: great last shot of pics too!!!
Not that I'm afraid of killing them...they just get all they need from the soil and any more would be too much. They sure are sexy aren't they! :hot:

Amazing update man. THey are getting huge! Doing an awesome job Shane!
Thanks Jamison! I am a month from plant out...and worried! Thought about slowing them down a little by cutting down the light cycle...but I think I can keep them going full speed ahead and hopefully have a few supers budding up at plant out??? We shall see!

They are looking very nice Shane. Like the story of the Brain without cotyledons making it. I have four of those. Three are looking good but number four isn't. Time will tell.
Thanks Patrick...that little Brain is still cooking right along. Think third true are pushing up??? Have to check on that little dude in the morning! I am 3 for 3 with cotyless sprouts surviving this season! Didn't think the first one (Goat's Weed) stood a chance and almost tossed it...don't remember what the second one was but after it made it I was confident the Brain would pull through. Really lucky on all three!

Looking wild, Shane! Things are really taking off now. "Downshifted and floored"...Love it! And the first flower! :woohoo:
Thanks Doc...good to see you on. Figured you had a busy week...

So I came home yesterday to three new sprouts...then another this morning! To the mix we add...another Fatalii, Reaper, Explosive Ember, and this morning was a Bubble Gum 7 Pot!!! :party: Also added to the mix 1 Red Robin Tomato and 1 Red Currant (Spoon) Tomato.

Also came home to an unexpected package from Dave (gnslngr)
IMG_1233_zpsb665519f.jpg

Some freaking awesome crosses in there, and some awesome not crosses plus some BA powder!!! I can't start anymore seeds...I can't start anymore seeds...

IMG_1277_zpsebfa8569.jpg

Most of these are actually for a friend...but I threw in a few pimenta de neyde for myself... :shh:

Took some plant shots...but I'm opting for the foodie pics for now. :drooling:
IMG_1282_zpsc023e964.jpg

Yup...the in-laws are back in town! Only time mama will splurge on the good stuff...

IMG_1283_zps49ffd0bf.jpg

Little of this...little of that. Mustard then rub was an idea I got off BBQ Pitmasters a while back. Didn't think I would like it, but I'm tellin' y'all...gotta try it! Can't even taste the mustard when done. Lets the smoke in, and doesn't let the juicy out and gives a good base for the real rub to stick. Which tonight was some of the Roasted 7 Pot Brown/Black Naga/Douglah powder Dave sent along with some Red Lantern Hab Hot Salts and some onion/garlic powders...into the smoker with them and the chicks for a couple hours.

Meanwhile...
IMG_1284_zps99ee8fa5.jpg

Chipotle dip...taken to the next level by Dave's powder!!! :fireball:

Aight, so now the meat is just about done...but its missing a little sumpfin...
IMG_1285_zps2943d04c.jpg

I made this BBQ sauce a while back. Smoked Manzano and Yellow Bhut.

IMG_1286_zps155ebccf.jpg

Basted with sauce then out of the smoker and onto the grill to glaze...oh did I mention I can't pass up fresh ears of corn???

IMG_1288_zpsfe563df1.jpg

Whole Lotta food!

IMG_1289_zpsc37d6949.jpg

Not as good as it looks...BETTER!!!

IMG_1287_zps8c62dc6b.jpg

Yup...put on a few LBs tonight baby! I didn't even have room on the plate for the Field Peas...YET! :rofl:

The way I judge how I did is by how little my in laws talk during the meal...I SHUT 'EM UP TONIGHT!!! Now you know how to shut them up folks! Bonus...soon after stuffing themselves they're passing out on the couch. :woohoo:
Got a bunch more pics...but not gonna be able to get to them tonight. So tomorrow might need some bumps! Plant's are looking good...had a close shave with a few that got thirsty before I got back from LA, but they're gonna make it. Couple more have some cat damage...grrrr. Hope you're all having a kicka$$ weekend folks!

Take care and thanks for stopping by!
Shane

Looking good bro .. I have never had a problem with explosive ember flowers not having pollen so I am confident you will get some pods under lights with them. Mean looking feed too ... way to silence the in laws ;) :D

Nice to see that gnslngr (dave) is still about too haven't seen him on here for ages

OMGGGGGGGGGGG. You make it difficult to lose weight around here. I can just taste the food from here. So amazing. Those plants are beauties. Mine barely have coytls. I went to the hydro shop so hopefully things will take off soon

No "Fungal in the Jungle"......you're running a clean grow Snane. All the plants look great !

Your in-laws are lucky and should be happy to feast on that B.B.Q combo platter...looks tasty ! .........Me like'em dem ribs..... :cool:

Back