• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

What happens in Vegas..... never happened!!!!! You are giving me the itch man. I've watched the sun rise too many times in that joint ......and then went to bed.

That carbon is a monster! Don't be surprised if it gets wider than it does tall. I also say build a reflector for your cfl bar,way more versatile than t5. I have a t5 and they penetrate the canopy well,but I really don't need mine. All depends on what direction you want to go.

Shane that is some super duper shit you got going on :dance: . Thank you for growing out my mystery. I have a feeling you will figure out what that bad boy is. There is a small chane it could be a Inca red drop . But the pods seem much more rounder so who the heck know's :crazy: . I am starting to think maybe you should just leave them indoors. They are just to perfect to throw out with all that mother nature has to throw at them ;)

Shane those last shots look so lushous that if I was a bug, I'd be camping outside your house filing my teeth till the plant out and your plants would be in some serious troubles den :D

I'm going to be growing Nasturtiums for the first time this year, cool to see what the leaves look like. They are great flowers for drawing beneficial insects and they are also supposed to be a repellant for some other bugs. I'll be pairing some up with some of my fruit trees/bushes because of those things. If you've got bug problems anywhere - move that hanging basket! I've heard they are repellants for Japanese beetles - have you noticed that at all?

Shane you plants look so mature! When did you start the first of those? Looking good you got the high beams on and those plants are loving it!

Hi Shane
With results like you're getting, why buy T5s? You can make your own reflector out of cardboard, aluminized mylar and duct tape that will work just as well as polished sheet metal. Four 23 watt CFLs have nearly the same lumen output as a 100 watt T5, and if you lose a bulb, your output is only reduced by 25% instead of 100%. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I can see why guarded optimism is your position on your grow so far, but I have faith you'll have some real monsters this year! Forget the T5 lights... you're gonna need another chest freezer instead! :party:
I agree...Just need to figure out a way to put some light down on the open areas on the floor. May just add some strips to the front edge of the shelves. I am leaning toward either a chest freezer...or a small greenhouse. Would almost be cheaper and less hassle to double the size of my grow room and add another couple sets of shelves. Really does just run itself. If at season's end I still have plants that are healthy that I want to overwinter I may do the GH then...only a couple weeks until plant out now.

What happens in Vegas..... never happened!!!!! You are giving me the itch man. I've watched the sun rise too many times in that joint ......and then went to bed.

That carbon is a monster! Don't be surprised if it gets wider than it does tall. I also say build a reflector for your cfl bar,way more versatile than t5. I have a t5 and they penetrate the canopy well,but I really don't need mine. All depends on what direction you want to go.
My Vegas trips are much more subdued than they once were. I did come back with a funny story regarding the salmon shirt I am wearing in my profile pic, a transvestite his/her boyfriend and a blackjack dealer that was very ummm...phobic? Ha!!! Note to self, regardless of how the table is running...always sit next to wife instead of leaving some empty chairs between!
I have a sudo-reflector on one shelf and over the outriggers, but really need to add something to the bottom shelf. I know how to use the CFLs and am getting awesome results...so I know you two are right on target with me sticking with what's working.

Shane that is some super duper shit you got going on :dance: . Thank you for growing out my mystery. I have a feeling you will figure out what that bad boy is. There is a small chane it could be a Inca red drop . But the pods seem much more rounder so who the heck know's :crazy: . I am starting to think maybe you should just leave them indoors. They are just to perfect to throw out with all that mother nature has to throw at them ;)
Thanks Jamie...your mysteries are budding up...so soon we should know if they grow true to their mother. They're very similar to the PI438638s you sent, but not the same. the PIs have much closer nodes and are branching much more. I'm excited about both, should be a couple great powder factories! Dunno if we'll ever know exactly what they are...and really don't care. I say we jump on the "If we can't figure it our, lets name it something new!" bandwagon and go with something like "Jaminator," "Florida Creeper," "Romy6apeno" ???
Believe me I have thought the same about the indoor grow...and some will definitely stay indoors for a bit for growth and maybe seed isolation purposes. My night time temps don't climb into the 60s until June so they'll slow down when they go outside fo-sho.

Such nice looking plants. That Indian Carbon could be the poster boy for what a pepper plant should look like. Just beautiful.
She sure is perdy...her sister's about perfect too, just a bit smaller. Thanks go out to Pr0d for the seeds to a beautiful plant. The pods he sent last year were some of the gnarliest ICs I've seen thus far. Last year's bhuts were somewhat of a disappointment, so I am super excited about these plants!

Shane those last shots look so lushous that if I was a bug, I'd be camping outside your house filing my teeth till the plant out and your plants would be in some serious troubles den :D
Oh, them SOBs are out there. I put some flowers in the ground and they got mowed down by slugs overnight in spite of the slug bait I offered them...ughhh. I will get aphids, mites and hornworms for certain, but I'll be as ready as I can be.

I'm going to be growing Nasturtiums for the first time this year, cool to see what the leaves look like. They are great flowers for drawing beneficial insects and they are also supposed to be a repellant for some other bugs. I'll be pairing some up with some of my fruit trees/bushes because of those things. If you've got bug problems anywhere - move that hanging basket! I've heard they are repellants for Japanese beetles - have you noticed that at all?
I think my Nasturtiums will do more growing than blooming early on. I put them in some pretty rich soil which is a mistake for bloom production, but I figure they'll spend the early part of the season putting on the foliage and cascading out of the hanging container and hope by that time they'll have used up enough of the nutes to put out some good blooms late summer/early fall. I grew some last year, but they didn't do too well where I put them. I do have Japanese and June beetles so hopefully they'll repel them for me.

Shane you plants look so mature! When did you start the first of those? Looking good you got the high beams on and those plants are loving it!
Thanks Brit...the largest were sown on the 29th of December, so in the most recent pics they are 8 weeks from seed...perdy good!

I came here to look at new pics, what's up with that you slacking ;) Only kidding mi pepper lovin brethren :)
Sorry Bruddah...I did make it home on Tuesday night, but I didn't snap any pics. I've been working some crazy hours. So it's all I can do to keep up with these responses. It's Evaluation time for a large number of our Sailors and I have to review them all, plus we have a huge drill/inspection coming where they watch us assemble ordnance and determine if we are capable of executing our mission. I started meetings at 0900 this morning and didn't get out until well after lunch...then had to handle some disciplinary issues before I could ever even get into doing my real job. I know boo-hoo...ain't too bad, we're only working half days. 5am-5pm!!!

Tomorrow is Friday!!! Can't get home soon enough! Will try to show off a few I haven't before and maybe get together another inventory of the plants. I know I got one of Denniz' Bubblegum 7's up and running...along with another Brain...hope to see some Birgits and another Primo!!! :pray:

Take care all,
Shane

Shane, awesome update bro. Those plants are growing faster than I ever thought possible. I'll say it too. The IC is gorgeous. I saw flowers on some of the plants as well. Simply awesome. I'm not kidding when I say this: your grow is most definitely going to pass mine up. So stoked for you. Hopefully those "half days " will be back to normal soon!

I appreciate these glogs more when I stay away for a few days , come back here and get awed with updates like this !............... :cool:
Shane your plants are growing wickedly crazy !

Like P-Son said, the Carbon will start to spread... but you'll have tons of flowering in and out of those plants. The pods are plumper and I fine them hotter than the typical "Ghostie"

What size containers are the next move...... Ican hear some of plants in the 5" pots....tapping their feet...........ha.
I only have a couple plants that big !

Have a great weekend , looking forward to the next update !

Shane, awesome update bro. Those plants are growing faster than I ever thought possible. I'll say it too. The IC is gorgeous. I saw flowers on some of the plants as well. Simply awesome. I'm not kidding when I say this: your grow is most definitely going to pass mine up. So stoked for you. Hopefully those "half days " will be back to normal soon!
Doc my man...they are growing so quickly its causing some trouble...I gotta go light shopping again! Pr0d sure did send me some amazing genetics with those IC's...Passing during this stage isn't as important as what goes on in May-June!!!

Shane I have a love/hate relationship with your glog. I simply LOVE lookin at your plants, and then HATE lookin at my plants. You suck ;)
Thanks Jamison...yours are not slouches! Thanks for the props brotha!

I appreciate these glogs more when I stay away for a few days , come back here and get awed with updates like this !............... :cool:
Shane your plants are growing wickedly crazy !

Like P-Son said, the Carbon will start to spread... but you'll have tons of flowering in and out of those plants. The pods are plumper and I fine them hotter than the typical "Ghostie"

What size containers are the next move...... Ican hear some of plants in the 5" pots....tapping their feet...........ha.
I only have a couple plants that big !

Have a great weekend , looking forward to the next update !
I am really trying to exercise some restraint on the updates...just ain't working!!! :rofl: I have 2-3 weeks to plant out, and I am going to try to keep them in the shoes they're wearing. I may pot up a couple to 1 or 2 Gallons this weekend??? It will all depend on what I can do with upgrading my lights this weekend???

Here is a little update...
P1020856_zps17191804.jpg

Birgits Locoto from Kevin (Wayright) for the Biggest Plant Grow Down...On like donkey kong now!

P1020857_zpsc9a1addd.jpg

Once again they were up into the lights...so I removed the extra shelf brackets that were holding them and attached them to the top shelf. Got about 8 more inches to play with before the shelves are no longer an option.

P1020858_zpsbdb569ce.jpg

Here are the photogenic Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbons...both budding up.

P1020867_zpsb9e7a4f2.jpg

Here are the "Big Boys" liking their spot on the floor now. I will try to pull them out and do some individual pics with them, they are starting to "grow where they can" which means some lopsided funky plants...bushy...but they'll fill out even more once they get some real deal sunshine.

P1020865_zps4d89705e.jpg

Here is one of my two trays of smaller guys...but...

P1020859_zps1358dc28.jpg

Think they're telling me they might be ready for bigger shoes...one whole tray looks like this!

Remember this guy?
P1020861_zps300f2e5a.jpg

This is the brain that started with that one little bit of coty on one side, now...

P1020860_zpse2c61e33.jpg

Looking great and growing like a weed now!!! Jamie sent me a survivor!!!

P1020862_zps767ef39a.jpg

How 'bout some Bubble Gum? Thanks Denniz for the seeds brotha!

P1020869_zpsddc5329d.jpg

Here are my Maters...Red Zebra, Red Robin (YUM! :rofl: ), and Currant (Spoon) tomatoes...I know I have a couple more hiding somewhere???

Hopefully that holds Y'all off for a few days!!! I will try to surf y'all's stuff tonight. For now some time with the fam!!!

Shane

Jeez! I need some heat in my grow room. My guys are still so damn small. Great stuff.
Hit it right on the head Mill...mine stays about 85-90 by day and 80-85 at night. Never dreamed of such great results in this makeshift grow tent, but I'm convinced the consistent warmth is one of the keys to why the plants are rockin.

Those roots are INSANEEEEEE!!! Good growing. What are you giving them babies bionic plant food?

You know I ain't feeding them yet Pia!!! I may give them a little tea soon...but may not...as has been mentioned before, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Hit it right on the head Mill...mine stays about 85-90 by day and 80-85 at night. Never dreamed of such great results in this makeshift grow tent, but I'm convinced the consistent warmth is one of the keys to why the plants are rockin.
+1 on that. My plants are growing well at about 67 degrees upstairs and between 50 and 65 degrees in the cellar, but they're not growing as fast as yours Shane. The Annuums are slowly popping, but I'm having a hard time keeping the seed heat mat at a consistent 80-85 degrees and it's slowing things down. Once they're up in the lights though... they're coming on nice. I don't want them to grow too fast anyway because my plant-out won't be for at least another 6-7 weeks.

I don't know, Jamie, I grew Inca Red Drop last year, and the plants were very compact, not much more than 18" in height. If your 7' ginormica mystery plant is an Inca Red Drop, it's definitely crossed with something else. Maybe with one of Shane's monster Bishop's Crown plants? :rofl:

Back