• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

STEAK!!

I know y'all cook up some great steaks so post them up in here....

I'll start us off…

2A0ED1BD-D2AC-4837-B059-BC4B5A5E7F3C-2503-0000028C217DC777.jpg

Getting up to room temp
5CEB1C79-F948-44E9-BE04-09A165024C93-2503-0000028C4DF8B0A6.jpg

Throw it on the grill...

75802F73-6675-41CA-A63B-8A17D8AD9BB9-2503-0000028C723D3DBB.jpg

Steak, mashed taters with Five counties cheese waiting to melt on top, and some peez

4B17B40B-7530-45F5-8408-BB805BA6E55B-2503-0000028C96FD1E67.jpg

Juices flowing…
CD7F5AB8-4E8D-4E25-9552-0DB1000383DB-2503-0000028CA9E265A3.jpg

DE31B1D0-9B91-44DF-A903-CF03F6291D21-2503-0000028CBAEA6C48.jpg

Yum! What u got?

Yea I vaguely remember that cut. Butcher told me about it a couple years ago. Said they put out very little of it, and I should jump on it when I see it. And I remember it being about a buck cheaper than skirt and excellent tasting and very tender.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you can score beef loin flap you may forget about skirt :)

hogleg said:
Yea I vaguely remember that cut. Butcher told me about it a couple years ago. Said they put out very little of it, and I should jump on it when I see it. And I remember it being about a buck cheaper than skirt and excellent tasting and very tender.

I think the butchers hoard it seriously 

JayT said:
GM if you are getting gristle in your ribeyes you are buying them at the wrong butcher.

I resisted the full snark the first time, but I can no longer ...

What exactly do you think the "eye" in rib-eye is referring to, then? ...

JayT said:
It is the name given to a rib steak that has the bone removed.  It has nothing to do with gristle.  Look at this one, do you see any gristle?

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/roasts/american-kobe-boneless-eye-of-ribeye-roll.html

Also, there is a big difference between fat and gristle.  Fat softens and tends to melt, gristle is much tougher and cannot really be eaten.

So, the eye is the nice round meat part, and not the tubular fat-eye that runs through it ...

Hmmmm ...

I think I've seen Serious Eats refer to the eye as being the circular fat in the center of the cut ...

Now I'm *really* curious ...

FFUUUU ...
OK, I stand corrected ...

"The central eye of meat tends to be smooth textured with a finer grain than a strip steak, while the Spinalis section will have a looser grain and more fat."

(http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-four-high-end-steaks-you-should-know-ribeye-strip-tenderloin-t-bone.html)

Fucking read comprehension, again ... as is the usual for me ...

My confusion stems from the focus being on the fat in a rib-eye, and knowing that central island of fat is supposed be large in a good example of a rib-eye ...

But it's definitely about the round meat of the rib-eye, like the eye of round found elsewhere ...

JT's right.

JayT said:
Also, there is a big difference between fat and gristle.  Fat softens and tends to melt, gristle is much tougher and cannot really be eaten.

It's my understanding that all of those non-interstitial fat lends little beyond thermal protection to meat cooking ...

That meat exudes the fat which contributes to taste, but doesn't absorb ANY ... that it's a process of water and fat leaving, and managing that, not bathing in it ...

Last reputable thing I saw said to trim all of the hard fat off the outside of meat, that it contributing anything positive was myth ...

Who knows ...

I'll trim most all exterior fat - especially all the hard white fat - from pretty much any/every cut of beef out there, steak included.  For brisket I take it down to about 1/2" or less, but then again I always separate the flat from the point and treat them far differently.  But that's a discussion for a different thread.  

It's rate that we'll splurge on prime meat, especially considering 95% of it is grain fed.  But I've a hankering, so in a bit of time I'll have steak to add to the thread. 

I'll trim most all exterior fat - especially all the hard white fat - from pretty much any/every cut of beef out there, steak included.  For brisket I take it down to about 1/2" or less, but then again I always separate the flat from the point and treat them far differently.  But that's a discussion for a different thread.  

It's rate that we'll splurge on prime meat, especially considering 95% of it is grain fed.  But I've a hankering, so in a bit of time I'll have steak to add to the thread. 
I do my brisket the same way. Point goes to make burnt ends

Keep the point on, when the flat is done, then cut point off, cook it longer for burnt ends. ;)

Like you said, another discussion!

Aaron Franklin, Mueller, the cats down in Lockhart, are all just salt & pepper guys.

Blacks in Lockhart.

Best brisket I ever had period.

Melt in your mouth flavor.

mrs. blues didn't like it.

She's a pulled pork gal.

Franklin.

Bucket list. 

And not that far from TOJ on 6th street.

http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/

Great shop.

Bought lots of sheeit from those guys.

Back