• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

I've taken to adding a .5ml of CNS17 and .5ml CalMag to my 1 quart spray bottle, misting every few days. not sure it's doing anything one way or another, not yet anyway...but it doesn't appear to be hurting any either. It's just a few drops of each in a quart, should be ok, yeah?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

daffy.jpg

PaulG said:
Not to worry, brothah! 

The only time I committed herbicide was
when I sprayed 2-4-D on half my grow one
season. I thought it was Kelp Spray! Very
similar color. I now label my bottles with
BIG LETTERS!

Whoa!  I bet that was a rude awakening.  2-4-D has a very distinct odor.  You must have had a sinus infection! :rolleyes:
I try to label my bottles but everything seems to wear off.  Sharpie's are not permanent.  

I remember the 2-4-D incident Paul, no fun!

Eric, I've been a calmag user forever, the 1tsp per gallon is correct and never seen any adverse effects.

I had to look up CNS17, from their site:

Home Garden- General Plant Food:
Grow: Add 10 ml as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.
Bloom: Add 10 ml per gallon of water as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.
Ripe: Add 5 ml per gallon of water as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.

My little rule for foilar applications of nutes is 1/2 strength.

In my endeavors to do a Tybo on myself this last week, Day Five finds me pulling the damned deck off the Cub AGAIN, the pulley system on this 11 year old dawg has developed a taste for eating $40 deck belts. Why I didn't spend the coin on a Deere I'll never fathom...

I also finally got around to putting up that rain barrel platform I've meant to do for two years. Gravity feed doesn't perform very well when the barrel is 4 feet below the deck...I used crushed asphalt for substrate, stuff just doesn't wash out!
20200429_162609.jpg

Tamping ain't for old men, but once done, it's not going anywhere...
20200429_162635.jpg

I'm not a level snob, but ya gotta admit I ain't no slouch settin' the pad!
20200429_162652.jpg

Same back-to-side...
20200429_162727.jpg

I discovered Spax when rebuilding our deck a few years back. These babies RAWK!!
15881981641211233094591.jpg

I still have to do the barrel diverter, which involves cutting downspout/my arm off. Maybe tomorrow....then the barrel can do it's rain collecting thing....

Bob the Builder.....out.

stettoman said:
In my endeavors to do a Tybo on myself this last week, Day Five finds me pulling the damned deck off the Cub AGAIN, the pulley system on this 11 year old dawg has developed a taste for eating $40 deck belts. Why I didn't spend the coin on a Deere I'll never fathom...

I also finally got around to putting up that rain barrel platform I've meant to do for two years. Gravity feed doesn't perform very well when the barrel is 4 feet below the deck...I used crushed asphalt for substrate, stuff just doesn't wash out!
attachicon.gif
20200429_162609.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200429_162635.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200429_162652.jpg

Same back-to-side...
attachicon.gif
20200429_162727.jpg

I discovered Spax when rebuilding our deck a few years back. These babies RAWK!!
attachicon.gif

I still have to do the barrel diverter, which involves cutting downspout/my arm off. Maybe tomorrow....then the barrel can do it's rain collecting thing....

Bob the Builder.....out.

Hey Bob!  If you really want to try to do a Tybo, just make sure that rain barrel is full when you try to lift it up to the platform!  If at first you don't succeed, just keep wrestling with it.   :stop: Wait.....just kidding.  

Nice job on the platform.

I had to buy a new Deere this year.  The hydrostatic transmission gave out in my 17 year old Deere.  I hope this new one lasts that long.  (Or as long as I do anyway)

stettoman said:

attachicon.gif
20200429_162609.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200429_162635.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200429_162652.jpg

Same back-to-side...
attachicon.gif
20200429_162727.jpg

attachicon.gif

Bob the Builder.....out.

that’s a pain, wonder what model cuz my 5 yr old Cub has outlasted my cousins John deer in mechanical stuff and I beat the hell out of mine. Even got a corner missing on the right blade  :party:

Devv said:
I remember the 2-4-D incident Paul, no fun!

Eric, I've been a calmag user forever, the 1tsp per gallon is correct and never seen any adverse effects.

I had to look up CNS17, from their site:

Home Garden- General Plant Food:
Grow: Add 10 ml as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.
Bloom: Add 10 ml per gallon of water as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.
Ripe: Add 5 ml per gallon of water as a general plant food. Water into soil or potting mix.

My little rule for foilar applications of nutes is 1/2 strength.

Thanks Scott, Not so nervous about it now. I do quite a bit of misting as these sprouts endeavor to manhood, My fractional dosage should do them well, I think...

Devv said:
Nice work Eric!

I'll trade some rain for heat?

Dude! Call me in January! I'll save ya a barrel full for some 60s & 70s!!

Tybo said:

Hey Bob!  If you really want to try to do a Tybo, just make sure that rain barrel is full when you try to lift it up to the platform!  If at first you don't succeed, just keep wrestling with it.   :stop: Wait.....just kidding.  

Nice job on the platform.

I had to buy a new Deere this year.  The hydrostatic transmission gave out in my 17 year old Deere.  I hope this new one lasts that long.  (Or as long as I do anyway)

Thanks, my Tybo attempts are just beginning. I powerwashed 600 sq. ft. of deck the other day as well, going to wash the house today or tomorrow (I was a paint contractor for 30 years, if you want that ten year paint job to last 20? WASH YER HOUSE TWICE A YEAR!), then spray some Tempo for the damned spiders. We have a cob problem here, they web up everything...Then more tree clearing. I'm going to "groom" the chokecherry grove some this season, work for that bumper crop...I also cornered the local market on fertilizer spikes.... :twisted:

skullbiker said:
My John Deere 300 is 45 years old. The mower deck is gone but it still pulls my trailers around.

Dayamn! You aren't exactly making me feel better, but I am impressed. I have a '64 Toro 12 horse with the cinderblock Kohler single cyl that my dad left to me that still has the torque of a Jeep CJ, will go straight up. Tuneup kits are getting hard to find, though. I do have the mowing deck, but opt for trailer horse mode... ;)

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:

that’s a pain, wonder what model cuz my 5 yr old Cub has outlasted my cousins John deer in mechanical stuff and I beat the hell out of mine. Even got a corner missing on the right blade  :party:

'09 LTX1045. Runs ok, but for the belt eatin deck. It's also showing signs of a blown engine bearing or bent shaft or some such shit: shudders on shut down. Runs fairly smooth otherwise. I mow about 5 acres with it when it mows, super rough nightcrawler infested turf...

PtMD989 said:
Sweet carpentry work there [emoji106]. My Cub likes to eat drive belts, those are fun to change, especially when the belt gets wedged into the pulley under the seat. [emoji2959].

I haven't had any drive belt issues with mine, Bryan, but when I brought her in at 7 years for some elec. harness work to my maintenance outfit, they replaced the drive belt without asking...I wound up not having to pay for it...

I agree with you on the platform, for using a bunch of discarded AC2 from the old deck  and a couple ground contact grade 4-by's, pretty much eyeballing the whole project (ok, used a tape measure), I can't complain....And don't ask, I don't plan to hire out, unless the work is in Antigua.... :party:

Y'all know what they say about blind squirrels, eh?

Reading all this mower stuff... My son works for John Deere; with pending retirement last year, I loaded up on a new mower, and some Stihl stuff that they sell as well. I sold my 111 20 years ago, it was 20 years old, when I got the lx277aws, which still runs and leaks like a sieve. I use it as the beater mower.

skullbiker said:
My John Deere 300 is 45 years old. The mower deck is gone but it still pulls my trailers around.
45 years? That's a record in my book.

Back