• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

Hey Steve, did you continue with the coffee grounds mulch and the liquid coffee drench/spray to test it's effectiveness? I read that article written by the cycad guy and, it seems he has discovered a very powerful weapon against mealy bugs, scale and one of our worst enemies, aphids.

Did you notice any beneficial results using the coffee against the mites?

I called a local coffee shop today and they offered me 5 gallons of coffee grounds A DAY! I wonder if you could have too much coffee in your compost?

Hey Steve, did you continue with the coffee grounds mulch and the liquid coffee drench/spray to test it's effectiveness? I read that article written by the cycad guy and, it seems he has discovered a very powerful weapon against mealy bugs, scale and one of our worst enemies, aphids.

I called a local coffee shop today and they offered me 5 gallons of coffee grounds A DAY! I wonder if you could have too much coffee in your compost?
Coffee grounds work great around the base of the plant. Deters slugs, cut worms, mealey larvae, black scale and others. I'd question the use against broad and spider mites, also aphids which are airborn pests.Great deal with the free coffee grounds. As far as using them in a compost pile, it can factor in to the wet brown garden waste but you need other dryed brown material (leaves, dryed grass clipings, newspaper...etc) 25 parts brown to 1 part green (kitchen scraps, fresh clipings)

Thats a beautiful thing man!
Yes sir!

Yes, I still throw coffee grounds in the soil and do the weekly 50/50 black coffee/water pray. it's very effective against the aphids/whitefly and gentle for the plant. I believe I wiped out my broad mite plague with h202 and soapy water. I will continue my weekly coffee spray down! 5 gallons of coffee grounds a day?! Good deal! I imaged that too much of anything could tip the balance!

That one's looking promising!
Thnks Andy! 4 sections and bonnet forming symmetrically! Hoping that all 4 sections of the bonnet eventually lobe!

Coffee grounds work great around the base of the plant. Deters slugs, cut worms, mealey larvae, black scale and others. I'd question the use against broad and spider mites, also aphids which are airborn pests.Great deal with the free coffee grounds. As far as using them in a compost pile, it can factor in to the wet brown garden waste but you need other dryed brown material (leaves, dryed grass clipings, newspaper...etc) 25 parts brown to 1 part green (kitchen scraps, fresh clipings)
What he said!

Foodarama scotch bonnets (Pic 1, Windchicken) neck and neck!
004_zps3d35d983.jpg

MoA pod(just left of big pod) on the northside in-ground MoA is coming to proper form!
008_zps34718cf7.jpg

Hey Pic This guy sprayed coffee on his aphid-infested plants and a couple of days later, there were no living aphids on any of the sprayed plants. I was hoping it was just as effective on the mites.

Hey Pic This guy sprayed coffee on his aphid-infested plants and a couple of days later, there were no living aphids on any of the sprayed plants. I was hoping it was just as effective on the mites.

Sure......the spray is different from scratching the ground with..................well the "grounds".

Numerous sprays work on mites.........try lemon juice and cayenne, also works as well on mealy bugs as isopropyl alcohol...

Opps..........sorry Steve...

Nice MoA pod, get the knife ready...

WOOOHOOOOOOOO on the poddage. Are we going to see a video review of the taste/texture/heat? Hint Hint!!!
Thanks Pia! I promise you a MoA review video! Just as soon as I figure out how to use this camera!
Sure......the spray is different from scratching the ground with..................well the "grounds".

Numerous sprays work on mites.........try lemon juice and cayenne, also works as well on mealy bugs as isopropyl alcohol...

Opps..........sorry Steve...

Nice MoA pod, get the knife ready...
NP Greg! You're always welcome to chime in!
Looking great Steve! Glad the follow on pods are looking more SB true to form!
Damn Shane I say you aint ever lie!
Steve, beautiful and dang: drool! Slobber, salivate. Wow! Really interested in PD's "select." Again, am subtle as freight train on seeds ;). BEAUTIFUL (and I got chapped chin :mope: :rofl:.) Just wow! :P
Thanks for sharing the passion Annie! I still have to look into sending you some of that caribbean cane vingar! P. Dreadie "SELECT" bonnets!!!

I went to the local Publix Supermarket to pick up some fresh shrimp and garlic for my "shrimp diablo" scampi and ran into some very impressive "HABANEROS"!
005_zps387a1397.jpg

This is odd because Publix normally carries what they call "SCOTCH BONNETS" that look more like orange habs. Typical "Grocery store hybrid "habanerobonnets"

Impressive looking none the less.
001_zpsfa4e6993.jpg

Now for the shrimp diablo and chef boy-r-steve!
008_zpscd56a334.jpg

Nothing fancy, just normal shrimp scampi topped with scotch bonnet powder and parmesan!
010_zps9c68cf26.jpg

Nice looking dish!
"Topped off with Scotch Bonnet powder"...........I like that one !
Thanks Greg! Hey I got to install my first high hats and GFCI's today!
That's crazy that you can find peppers like that in the store. I've got to go an hour to get anything out of the ordinary, but at least that store often has orange manzanos. Too bad the heat was disappointing, because the shape looked cool!
Brother Andy! From my experience, grocery store peppers for whatever reason(how they're grown, harvest, or distributed) do not have that deep home grown flavor we love so much.
Nothing beats a fresh home grown chili!
Now I am really hungry. Thank alot ;)
Time to fire up that grill!
It looks like my Foodarama plant is beckoning to Greg's plant...or maybe giving it encouragement... :dance:

Tasty-looking pasta Steve!
lol. Thanks Gary! They both look very strong!

Update:
Scotch Bonnets left to right: top row (3) - CCN (P. Dreadie), TFM(saved seed), Red CARDI(cmpman1974)
Bottom row (5) - Ocho Rios(Pic 1), Select(P. Dreadie), Foodarama(windchicken), Foodarama(Pic 1), Peppermania Jamaican(windchicken)
002_zpse7d449f0.jpg

Hp22b(Jamison)
001_zps194e7112.jpg

Butch T(WalkGood)
007_zpsf6d29d4d.jpg

Gifted Trinidad red scotch bonnets(Jamison)
014_zps1234080f.jpg

Gifted Foodarama plant (left), Foodarama clone (middle), Fatalii clone (right)(Denniz)
008_zpsdef27de3.jpg

Northside MoA in-ground
006_zpsb7d38b96.jpg

Southside MoA in-grounds
009_zpsb0df244d.jpg

MoA pod!
012_zpsa95f7f7c.jpg

011_zps2b1b86b2.jpg

Back