• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on getting them babies to dirt. It's gotta be a relief. I can't wait to get to that point. They'll be growing in no time.

Thanks for the good vibe Chuck! I have no doubt that when you finally get your babies in the dirt they'll take off for ya. :)

Datil said:
Yes! Finally outside!
Hope you a sunny weekend Rick!

Cheers Fabrizio! We've got a warm rain forecast for this weekend... perfect for really watering in the newly transplanted chiles. :dance:  I put a handful of bat guano underneath each of the transplants to give them an initial boost, and this rain should make it instantly available to them. :)

randyp said:
:dance: YEA Baby.Let the sunshine on the plants.Here is to a great season buddy.Go grab a fishing pole and enjoy the extra free time you earned. :dance:

Not a bad idea Randy... rainy days are the best for fishing as long as the streams don't flood.

karoo said:
Looks great , soon there won't be spaces between those plants.
Here's to sunny weather.

Cheers Jacques! Based on previous experience, a two-foot spacing between plants was about optimum unless some of them had a larger growing habit than the usual Chinense varieties. Comparing the plants this year to those from last year you may be right. Here's a pic of the raised bed behind the house last year taken on May 29th.
SANY1246.JPG

Here are the two Forbing Nagas I'm gonna put up in #7 air-pots alongside the Aji Oro.
SANY2229.JPG
SANY2228.JPG

TGIF all, and have a great weekend!

stickman said:
Cheers John! The 1 liter air-pot pictured is just a transition stage... The two Forbing Nagas are going into seven gallon (#7) air-pots tonight. [emoji2]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Thanks Rick I hadn't previously seen airpots that small must have a look out at my local hydro shop ... used three large airpots last season and was impressed... the Forbing Nagas I am sure will benefit from a seven gallon pot ... that's a lot of pods

Trident chilli said:
Thanks Rick I hadn't previously seen airpots that small must have a look out at my local hydro shop ... used three large airpots last season and was impressed... the Forbing Nagas I am sure will benefit from a seven gallon pot ... that's a lot of pods

Cheers John! Here's what they look like in the #7 pots.
SANY2230.JPG
SANY2231.JPG
SANY2232.JPG

Herb garden is looking pretty good too... it's still too cold to set out the Basil, and the loop in the drip hose to the near, left side is for the potted Rosemary. We bring it inside for the winter and set it outside when things warm up.
SANY2233.JPG

I've gotta get a load of compost this morning to rake out on the back lawn. The grass is really spotty there and we want to encourage it to grow thickly enough to choke out the weeds and crabgrass.

Hope you all have a productive weekend!

Rick you should have a great year; you had the soil tested  and made the adjustments that you could. Things are really going to take off!

Soil test is on the agenda for me next year for sure. I'm pretty sure I'll have to amend for high PH.

Glad to see things coming together ;)

Devv said:
Rick you should have a great year; you had the soil tested  and made the adjustments that you could. Things are really going to take off!

Soil test is on the agenda for me next year for sure. I'm pretty sure I'll have to amend for high PH.

Glad to see things coming together ;)
Cheers Scott! That's what I'm aiming for fer sure.[emoji4]

I got my Mom to test her garden soil this year... She's been adding to her soil every year for the last 50+ and the results were a bit surprising. We expected the high Calcium becase of the Dolomitic Limestone and Blue Shale underlaying her soil, but we didn't expect a pH of 7.8 after all those years of adding organic materials, and the Potassium levels were higher than Calcium and Magnesium together. Turns out that her years of adding wood ashes together with very low Sulfur in the soil are the likely culprits. She'll be putting down slow-oxidizing ag Sulfur and supplementing with a bit of Gypsum to give the plants an initial S boost. The rest is Kelp meal for trace nutes, blood meal for N, and 20 Mule Team Borax for a Boron deficiency that's endemic to New England. I mention all this because some of it may apply to you down the road.[emoji111]

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants look amazing.

Your doing a great job in the garden. Herb garden will look great before to long. I may plant some fill. I love fresh dill when I make spicy pickled eggs. Yum!
Sounds good Chuck. [emoji106] Herbs I won't go without... Cilantro, basil, sage, thyme, summer savory, parsley, greek oregano, rosemary and dill. I'm mostly not a fan of the ones that taste like anise but I do use fennel seed in curries, and quick-made spaghetti sauce to counter the acidity of tomato paste.

I left the cover off my plants last night so the could get some of the rain that was coming down and in the wee hours we obviously got some hail. Fortunately it was only the large lower leaves that were affected and I was expecting the plants to jettison them in a few weeks anyway. No great damage done.
SANY2237.JPG
SANY2238.JPG

Have a happy Mother's day all!

Boy, it looks like we're going from soup to nuts here this week! We had sleet and hail on Saturday night and they're predicting daytime highs increasing daily to a peak in the low 90s on Thursday! That's quite a range... Even for New England. ☺ at least we got a soaking rain this weekend. Things should start to take off now.

OCD Chilehead said:
I'm sorry to hear about the hail. You know how I feel about that. LOL!

Nothing like a good rain to get the party started though. No substitute for that.
I'd say we understand each other on the subject of hail... yes? [emoji6]

Hopefully the rain, warmth and good soil will get the plants past their rough handling this past weekend. Cheers!

stettoman said:
Those leaves are gargantuan! Is there a steroid nute I haven't been clued about yet?
I don't think so Eric, just the best light and good nutrition I could give them. I did give them humate and Silicate supplements though.

Rick the plant out always takes the wind out of my plant's sails at least 1-2 weeks.Hail such as you had, daily shifting wind gusts that cannot be duplicated with a fan.Spots on leaves I always swear is terminal but ends up nothing but a little sunburn.I think Chucks got snow around him next couple days.Middle of July is when I can predict how the season is trending.lol ;)

Devv said:
Not liking the hail. Glad the damage was slight. We had some 2 weeks ago. We slept through it and the sunshades stopped any damage. A neighbor told me about it...LOL

It's funny... it only happened in a thirty mile circle that we happened to be on the leading edge of. The Meteorologists missed it too or I would have left the low row cover up.  Oh well, at least the growth nodes were unaffected. Glad you dodged the bullet... your plants are bigger than mine and could have been hurt worse. :)

randyp said:
Rick the plant out always takes the wind out of my plant's sails at least 1-2 weeks.Hail such as you had, daily shifting wind gusts that cannot be duplicated with a fan.Spots on leaves I always swear is terminal but ends up nothing but a little sunburn.I think Chucks got snow around him next couple days.Middle of July is when I can predict how the season is trending.lol ;)

Solidarity brother! Nothing in nature is guaranteed except change, and if you're gonna plant outside you just have to roll with whatever happens. It's a good thing that our "tender perennials" are tough enough to make it through some rough handling. :)

Back