• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Stupid wild winds

All yesterday the westerly winds have been blowing here in Brisbane.
At work we have a side door which is constantly being left open then it goes slamming shut from the wind.
Well were flat out at lunch cooking away the door goes slam ....it hits so hard it flips the shelf I have on the wall which has about 50 bottles of our sauce on display....off the wall.
The whole lot comes smashing down, sauce gets broken the place stinks of naga I'm swearing because about 300 bucks of sauce gets broken.And people keep walking in trying to order food.the ones that didn't get broken from the fall have to be relabeld as they are covered in sauce and crap.
lol
frigging nightmare.
Not all was lost, just the expensive stuff....
stupid wind.

Mick

We had really bad westerly winds yesterday as well....

I lost 3 tomato plants (snapped off at the base:mad:) and 2 chilli plants.......

DickT, yes we usually get the westerly winds around this time of year but yeterday was a bit of a freak day as the winds were stronger than normal....

Sorry to hear that Mick. I should have stuck around yesterday coulda helped clean up ....then bought the mop off you :)

Up here it's called the August Breeze...but turns up anytime of year now. Its known as a 'lazy wind' because it goes right through you instead of going around.

bentalphanerd said:
Sorry to hear that Mick. I should have stuck around yesterday coulda helped clean up ....then bought the mop off you :)

Up here it's called the August Breeze...but turns up anytime of year now. Its known as a 'lazy wind' because it goes right through you instead of going around.

The reason I was asking is because we have seasonal winds around the US and this has to do with the earth position in its orbit. Kind of natures way of cleaning the air.

F'n sucks, all my Dorsets, Aji Lemons, all the little stuff took a bloody hiding, hopefully they will recover. Looks like frostbite to me, on the ends of probably 1/2 the leaves, boooooooooooo

Novacastrian said:
F'n sucks, all my Dorsets, Aji Lemons, all the little stuff took a bloody hiding, hopefully they will recover. Looks like frostbite to me, on the ends of probably 1/2 the leaves, boooooooooooo

NOT MY DORSETS....:) Nooooooooooooooo...:)

I had the same thing happen to my Aji Rojo Nova, I also hope like hell it will recover.

The Aji Rojo is cursed for me. It's the one chilli that I can't grow without something going wrong.

Last year I had 2 plants, one was flattened by a neighbour (was an accident) when it was only a few inches and the other was so badly eaten by bugs over night that it never recovered...and now this year the one that i've grown gets wind struck....but i will baby it for a while and see what happens......

Yes some babying is definantly in order. I think about 75% should recover, one was completly smashed over so that ones gone. Stupid thing is the plants fully exposed to the weather were fine, it's the ones under the carport that really got hammered, go bloody figure!!

moyboy said:
We had really bad westerly winds yesterday as well....

I lost 3 tomato plants (snapped off at the base:mad:) and 2 chilli plants...

I lost a big branch off one of my tomatoes yesterday also. some windblown plants but no major damage - where's the sun gone?

major bummer about the sauce Mick! ;)

Problem through u.s/europe was unusually high and sustained winds,Everyone doesn't remember the winds been so frequent and so strong and looks like your having similar changes in your weather system to,Sorry to here about the sauces Still as i no how much time and effort you but into them..

You think the winds are a problem there?

Ths Santa Annas blowing in Southern Ca are really making expensive problems.

Back