Surprising heat from a pepper

ever get one of those pods whose heat is much greater than it should be for that variety?

I was just having a pepperoni and pickle sandwich and thought I'd munch on a few mesilla cayennes. now these normally rate at around 4000 SHU's, baby stuff, right?

well not in this case. my mouth is watering, the sides and underneath of my tongue are burning, my lips are tingling and I finished eating them 10 minutes ago. there's even a thin layer of perspiration on the top of my head. heat way out of proportion to what it should be. :mouthonfire:

this ever happen to you?

Happens all the time to me with the Jalapeno's I get from Krogers
grocery store. I pickled a batch, had some that were very weak with heat,and had 1 that was almost Habanero hot.Same with the Serrano's I get there.

That's actually happened to me before with jalapeno's. They aren't my favorite pepper because honestly I like the heat. However, I've actually had one that was WAAAAAAAY hotter than the average. It may have been cross bred with something. I liked it, but it took me off guard for a jalapeno:lol:...then again I've had them where they tasted like a green pepper too. I wonder if it was the guy growing them that gave them to me?

Happens a lot, there's almost always one extra hottie in the bunch. Even with really mild varieties like Pimiento Padron, there is one hiding in the pack that catches you off guard. :)

some of those thai frutescens types make me drop and roll like it was a habanero. especially the prik ke nu those little nastys tend to keep giving.

I find this nearly every week with Scotch Bonnets, some are as hot as Orange Habs and others are the usual Scotch Bonnet heat.

rabbit said:
That's actually happened to me before with jalapeno's. They aren't my favorite pepper because honestly I like the heat. However, I've actually had one that was WAAAAAAAY hotter than the average. It may have been cross bred with something. I liked it, but it took me off guard for a jalapeno:lol:...then again I've had them where they tasted like a green pepper too. I wonder if it was the guy growing them that gave them to me?

Maybe they slipped a serrano in there.:)

I have experienced this at a restaurant that serves stuffed Hot Hungarian peppers (they are out of this world). The dish is served with 6 stuffed Hungarian peppers and they are usually really, really mild. But, sometimes there is a HOT on thrown in which really catches people off guard. It is funny because they are all the same peppers. I had a friend who ate there and he said that the whole dish was really mild until the very last bite...LOL...He said that he was sweating all of the way home and he likes hot peppers. We usually trade recipes since his favorite pepper is the Hab also.

Last year, my jalapeños were really hot...for jalapeños. I usually enjoy going out in the morning and looking over my crop and enjoying a fresh pepper right off the plant.

For some reason, those were almost as hot as my habs. It really threw me for a loop.... until I ate a hab. The whole crop was hotter than normal.

I looove Mezzetta brand pickled habaneros. I go through a jar a week, sometimes more. It's always a crapshoot as to how hot those peppers are. Sometimes I'll eat one & it's just as if I ate a pickled jalapeno, sometimes I'll eat one & the heat will stick with me for 15 minutes or so.

chilliman64 said:
you must have had excellent growing conditions for the season

No... I actually had pretty crappy conditions last year. I think they were letting me know that they weren't happy.

I had a Jalapeno M today that was hotter than any jalapeno I've ever had. The first one was hot but the second one had me in tears, luckily it didn't last too long

Back