food The big badass pasta thread

Ah ah thanks Tinnie! Fish rolls were just a way to cover my ignorance. :D They looks like surimi made with some fish, maybe salmon and hake (not sure). Probably cheap stuff.

Farfalline with tomato, bacon, piri piri and mushrooms, topped with some grated unnamed local cheeese.
ibv05pbCOPWb4N.jpg

Too bad there wasn't also cream..

Me want!

…. and I want to be able to get unnamed local cheese around here. I can go to Grandpa's Cheese Barn down the freeway a bit, but all they sell is the standard stuff, like cheddar, blue, swiss….

Not pasta (and not made by me, i just topped with cheese and hot stuff):
idM3xsRsOduOH.jpg

Gnocchi bis, in left topped jsut with gouda and bavarian emmental slices, on right with some awesome marzanini tomatoes. And some very hot sauce. No cheese on right, was so strong and good tasting!

Looks good!

"Not pasta"…. I know gnocchi is not technically pasta, but I put it in the same class as it's still a starch with binder and small. Plus, it's sold right along pasta at the stores here. So yes, I may refer to gnocchi in general as "pasta" from time to time, though I usually call it "gnocchi" when referring specifically to it. Still, I don't think I could eat that much at one sitting, but I'd try!

Exactly what i'm thinking g!
Sometimes on stores they sell something decent, but here you find some industrial made that are really another stuff, are completely different on taste, in a bad way (curiously when i was a small kkid i like that better). And also i remember my first time making gnocchi, i was around 10, unluckily i picked the worst potatoes possible, i remember them as the worst gnocchi i've ever eaten. :D
But it's not that much gnocchi above since plate is plain.
Also gnocchi made with pumpkins instead potatoes are great.

Reactions: SL3
I happen to have pumpkin gnocchi sitting in a package in my pantry at the moment. And also some pumpkin pasta sauce. I don't know that I'll use them together, but both sound really good. What have you paired pumpkin gnocchi with? I am kind of thinking in the direction of a mushroom sauce., like the chantarelle sauce I made a while back…. just gotta find how I made it.

Sage butter is the classic way to serve pumpkin ravioli, from Ferrara Italy. For gnocci you can turn the sage butter (a brown butter with fresh sage and salt) into a cream sauce.

That's classic, but I'd say... do a vodka sauce for the gnocci. Pumpkin gnocci is still probably a potato dumpling, with the pumpkin inside right? Vodka sauce should go very well!

Yes, still a potato base, just with pumpkin mixed in. Vodka sauce sounds good. I'm not making it until next weekend, so I've got some time to ruminate on it. Do you have a particular one you like? I've peeked at a few online and am leaning towards the kind that uses crushed tomatoes instead of a paste. Will have to add my own "magic", of course…. 

Sage butter with gnocchi, every type, is an easy win, so good and simple. To me just melt some butter, not boil it, put some sage and fresh peppers and it's done.
Btw for pumplkins i've always eaten in that way: some meat ragù heavy on tomato, was really good.

The Hot Pepper said:
Pumpkin gnocci is still probably a potato dumpling, with the pumpkin inside right? Vodka sauce should go very well!
The ones i mean are pumpkin, flour and maybe egg.

geeme said:
Yes, still a potato base, just with pumpkin mixed in. Vodka sauce sounds good. I'm not making it until next weekend, so I've got some time to ruminate on it. Do you have a particular one you like? I've peeked at a few online and am leaning towards the kind that uses crushed tomatoes instead of a paste. Will have to add my own "magic", of course…. 

Pretty simple stuff... yes crushed or whole canned San Marzanos, vodka, cream, white pepper (ooops forgot lol), salt, pinch nutmeg, basil leaves.

JayT said:
pasta with mussels and garlic, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, basil, parmesan and olive oil.
That looks really good!
I'd put parsley instead parmesan. My dad would approve your version btw!

Pumpkin gnocchi with vodka sauce

Sauce made with tomatoes, shallots, butter, jalapeno, cayenne, garlic, parsley, vodka and roasted chicken. Before the cream added:

P1010841.JPG

After the cream and parmesan added:
P1010842.JPG

P1010843.JPG

It's rather purdy, but as I was eating it I realized I failed to add basil. Guess that means I need to make it again real soon!

geeme that looks fantastic! Possibly butter heavy but fantastic!

Back