Pasta of today: with pomodorini, basil, shallot (scalogno) and garlic
I didn't made it, i added only pepper.

ifum4N3uZm2LY.jpg

ibmhsvpdeZJpiW.jpg

Wow Essi!

That looks super cheesy.

And also very heavy and filling.

How was the bacon flavor?

I'd probably want a bottle of barolo to go with that dish.

Thanks THP and Jay!
texas blues said:
Wow Essi!

That looks super cheesy.

And also very heavy and filling.

How was the bacon flavor?

I'd probably want a bottle of barolo to go with that dish.
For pasta water and durum wheat only (no oil, no salt)... I used more or less 600g wheat and 400g water, i left at home 1/5 so probably these are 800g...
Then: 600g smoked bacon, 500g pomodorini, 400g mascarpone (that's killer!), 500 g (not peeled) onions ... This was really heavy filled! I feel that this was somewhat a waste, since pasta was good, it would not have been a bad thing to taste it more...

Fried a bit onions with black pepper powder (with the 1-2 minutes preboil water trick), then bacon. I'm not used to cook it in that way, maybe i like it better frying direcly bacon like doing a carbonara.
Then cooked pomodorini a bit together.

I salted too much, but pomodorini, mascarpone and low salt on cooking water corrected that... Still very salty but good. Not a bad thing, i like salted onion and bacon was tasty.
Bacon tasted somewhat like amatriciana (maybe it's tomato and onion effect?).

Btw, tasted only once barolo so i don't know it, but i suppose you're right!

Probably you could cook better bacon above all, but was good!

That time no hot stuff, i didn't want to collect other curses! :D

Starting this pasta dish out with.........."The Sauseeeeege"

Here's a Sausage common to the Southern part of Italy, the Bari region. This is the Barese which hasn't any Fennel but is heavy loaded with Basil and Pecorino.  Brown the Barese on both sides in a small amount of Olive Oil.

Once browned, add 1 cup of white wine and enough water to bring the amount 1/3 the way up the sides of the sausage. Simmer on low with the lid on for 30 minutes. Flip over, add more liquid if needed and simmer an additional 30 min. Remove  from burner and keep covered until needed.

Additional ingredients: Parmigiano Reggiano, Fresh Motz, Fresno Peppers, Dryed but rehydrated Porcini and Boleto Mushrooms, Parsley, Shallots, Garlic, Tomatoes, Eggplant, Red Pepper, Olive Oil, Homemade Dago Red Wine, Balsamic Glaze, #31 Rigatoni, 

Roast halved Garlic bulbs for 30 minutes in a 400 deg oven. Add chopped and sliced vegetables drizzle with Olive Oil and some Balsamic Glaze. A few grind of  Salt and Pepper. Roast for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt and cook pasta just shy of Al Dente (futher than whats displayed) . Drain and pour pasta into a cassarole dish.

Fold in the veg mix, slice and add the Sausage, canned drained Tomatoes,  and 1/4 cup of mushroom liquid, Top with Fresh Mozzarella and grated Parm. Bake uncovered in a 350 deg oven....20 min.

Plating shot with additional shaved and grated Parm , a glass of Dago Red and  some Ciabatta Bread.

Yum...

Manicotti... if memory serves me right, that's Italian for enchilada.  ;)

First start by making your sauce. This can sit on low while you make your crespelle(s) with no worries. I'll skip my tomato sauce recipe, but it is damn good. Really, any tomato sauce will do, but this is where you want to crank in the heat. I used a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and a pinch on habanero powder.

12687347284_c382d58a75_h.jpg

Crespelle (Italian for tortilla... I think)

makes ~16
1 cup bread flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
olive oil to lightly coat 6" frying pan

Put all ingredients in blender and blend smooth. Heat 8" fry pan to medium-low, lightly coat with olive oil. Pour batter mixture in pan like making a pancake, about 2 tbsp worth, and swirl around in pan to cover evenly. Cook about 45-60 seconds per side. Repeat.

12687345604_5622b7ddad_h.jpg

Ricotta Cheese Filling

2 lbs Ricotta cheese
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp parsley flakes
~1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Mix all. Place about 1/4 cup filling in center of crespelle and form into log. Fold each side of crespelle over like making an enchilada... both ends open. Place overlap side down in a sauce coated baking pan. Top with sauce and place in a preheated 400 F oven for 30 minutes. Serve two manicotti with sauce and grated Parmesan on top.

12687010693_c5b8a6cb27_h.jpg

Nice recipes! My mom makes somtehing similar with omelette and ragù and it's awesome.

Crespelle should be italian for french crepes... I think piadina is more similar to tortilla.

Essegi said:

Crespelle should be italian for french crepes... I think piadina is more similar to tortilla.

Jajaja... they very much are like crepes. (Was just rolling with the enchilada joke. ;) ) 

After making this dish, I can't imagine using piadinas for it. The texture of the bite would be all off, and the flavor would be more doughy.

And, yes, piadina would be an Italian tortilla... they are exactly the same thing as flour torts as far as I can tell.
Scoville DeVille said:
Oh Lawdy. = Mejican for Awww crap!

I may be drunk, but that looks effen aweSum.

I demand that sauce recipe! (I mean, make it for me!)

Wow.

mmmmmmmmmmmygod....

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

What did you do to my colors, Scovie!?! That sauce should look bright red, not brown. 

WOW mang.

Sum gettin' down all Al Capone style n' sheeit.

Cheesey wheezy and that sauce looks rich and thick.

Square white cheffy foo foo plate too.

Italian enchiladas.

I can dig it.

Back