• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The big badass pasta thread

I've seen that a pasta throwdown has been done. And i've seen beautiful and interesting things!
So... Why not a pasta thread?
Pasta is, of course, my main lunch dish. Simple, cheap, good and recommended form dietist. What do you need more? Well if you could eat 200g of it with an heavy ragù and still ok with dietist, but nothing is perfect! :D
There's an huge amount of types (shapes, ingredients, if it's fresh or dry, whith or without eggs, etc) that can be used with another huge amount of toppings (tomato, salsa, ragù, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, vegetables, etc... Even in soup!). In my opinion there are little combinations that don't make good use of hot peppers...

Here a nice simple recipe, Spaghetti with anchovies, capers and hot pepper.
There are some very basic and empirical cooking tips if someone is new to pasta...

Here another simple recipe (many thanks to Umberm from pepperfriends.com forum for the excellent recipe and the permission to use it here!):

Pasta pangrattato e peperoncino! Pasta with grated bread and hot pepper!

Somewhat remembers pasta "aglio, olio, peperoncino" (garlic, oil, hot pepper)...
Note that this is a base, you can add the spices you like better with bread when roasting it, or also in the oil...
But even in this very simple form it's very good!

Ingredients:
  • pasta (long as spaghetti or short as macaroni at you discretion)
  • toasted breadcrumbs
  • evo oil
  • hot peppers
  • water
  • cooking salt (to cook pasta on water)
  • spices (optional and not used here)
iPQRxKlVhWWD0.jpg

I used 2 peperocini calabresi.

Preparing ingredients:

cut finely peppers and put in evo oil:
iyUKQtjjMOoom.jpg

if you can keep peppers in oil  for some hours is better, anyway it's good if it's done only during pasta cooking time too...
Short moment of contemplation, this is my everyday topping for pasta!

Now you can start to heat water to cook pasta...

You need to toast breadcrumbs in a pan:
ibwhcMrb8JswXB.jpg

You need to cook until it becomes darker for some minutes like that:

ibgsubJZ6aIe3n.jpg

Very important: you must stir this nearly continuously to prevent burning!

Then, you strain pasta and stir with pepper/oil and bread.
If you want you can pan fry adding other oil to amalgamate it better. I didn't.

Here when it's ready:
iqX3fgdtuK9Ne.jpg

Share recipes and post pics! :D

Crazy Cold around here this long weekend, more comfort food needed    roasted chicken thighs   and gnocchi with browned butter ,sage, dried chili & parm 

ii2xAg3.jpg

fYeSUQI.jpg

2lX61lw.jpg

The gnocchi ended up fairly large since I was at the end of my patience  dealing with frozen pipes most of the day.   In fact the last hot water tap let loose just as I was forming the last couple ..  I was happy to sit and eat and tip back a large rum and coke.  

grantmichaels said:
Need to know about this ... someday.
Super simple to make. Pasta is really easy to make but you can buy good fresh pasta instead.

Little butter,evo,minced shallot,garlic,hot pepper flakes,get happy for a minute over med high heat.add the clams I used Manila clams because they look nice today at the fish market. Toss to coat let do its thang a minute, hit it with some white wine or I used a really good medium dry sherry just cause I like it better. Gently simmer until clams are just about done and liquid has reduced, add pasta with a little of the pasta water. Hit it with some fresh lemon juice,fresh,parsley, s/p to taste.

Spätzle... I didn't make them, just ate.
I don't know if you guys know that stuff and i understand if it looks crappy but believe me, it owns. Especially if with homegrown spinachs. If you have some give this a try, you won't regret. Maybe top with bacon and cream, but also with just tomato, cheese and butter is so great. Trust.

Looks good! I've never had spätzle that way.
Oh, before i said bacon and cream... Also speck and cream. I can't decide wich one is better, i need to eat them much more.

PS: i'm kneading a 100% hydro dough, it's not very easy... I wonder how i'll strecht that one... Now i'm doing 6th and last folding turn...

Ashen said:
Crazy Cold around here this long weekend, more comfort food needed    roasted chicken thighs   and gnocchi with browned butter ,sage, dried chili & parm 

The gnocchi ended up fairly large since I was at the end of my patience  dealing with frozen pipes most of the day.   In fact the last hot water tap let loose just as I was forming the last couple ..  I was happy to sit and eat and tip back a large rum and coke.  

I tried gnocchi for the first time a few weeks ago. Except store bought, and I pan fried it after boiling and got it crispy. Definitely going to try it home made. It was terrible just boiling it through, definitely had to put it in the pan.

Yours sound much better though, with the butter and spices.

Back