• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The BUM is back for 2016

Hello Ladies and Germs it's good to be back.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the following members who helped make this years grow possible, Sorry if I left anyone off

Fiogga
Scorched
Moruga welder
Romy6
GM
Silver surfer
Pic1
wayright
ignite
prodigal son
winland
jcw10tc
TC1010
chiltepin
Kingdenniz
Bluesman
smileyguy697
stc3248
mojo peppers
mpicante
Jamison
GIP
semillias
SL

jcw10tc said:
Few days late, but your garden area in those pics you posted a few days ago looks amazing.  So neat and tidy.  I am guessing without that fence you would have some wildlife issues.  What's the long black pods, love the look of those.

Hot rod serrano X maui purple f1 they ripen to red 

hot lil fckers too. Either that or my tolerance has dropped off over teh winter. 

jcw10tc said:
Few days late, but your garden area in those pics you posted a few days ago looks amazing.  So neat and tidy.  I am guessing without that fence you would have some wildlife issues.  What's the long black pods, love the look of those.
Thank you sir. What d3 said ^ that's my hot rod Serrano x Maui purple F1. So far it looks to be a really good producer both indoors and out. The fence helps to keep the deer and skunks out. It's like an episode of wild kingdom here at night...lol. Have a great 4th man, cheers.

Hot rod serrano X maui purple producing good

SiFpfuT.jpg

nXxBMsc.jpg

Nice big  pods  on the 7pot orange X choc bbg7

0sIYA85.jpg

stickman said:
Nice that your Serrano hybrids are ripening up D! The Chinense pod looks really gnarly too. I hope you had a great 4th... did you cook anything special on the grill?
Hi Rick thanks for dropping by. So far it looks like the Serrano crosses I made last year are all doing really well, hopefully they continue to produce something fun and delicious into the following generations. I've been working on some interesting hatch and shishito crosses with large calyx bbg pollen to throw in the mix also. The 4th was great, kind of a tradition to have lobster rolls with new shell lobsters. With sides of moms potato salad and fresh cucumber salad. Fresh picked strawberry shortcake for dessert. I also grilled some burgers and dogs for the non lobster folks and the kiddies. Hope you had a great holiday my friend. Cheers

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick thanks for dropping by. So far it looks like the Serrano crosses I made last year are all doing really well, hopefully they continue to produce something fun and delicious into the following generations. I've been working on some interesting hatch and shishito crosses with large calyx bbg pollen to throw in the mix also. The 4th was great, kind of a tradition to have lobster rolls with new shell lobsters. With sides of moms potato salad and fresh cucumber salad. Fresh picked strawberry shortcake for dessert. I also grilled some burgers and dogs for the non lobster folks and the kiddies. Hope you had a great holiday my friend. Cheers
The strawberries this year have been great! I'm glad I'm not the only Mainer that prefers new shell to hard. My dad is always raving about how you get more for your money with hardshell, but I'm not a tourist and I'm not buying lobster at wells beach for a 1000% mark up, I'll just buy bigger softies. /rant

Cheers!

FreeportBum said:

Very cool! I love Lobster myself, but my wife won't eat most shellfish... the only kind she likes is Scallops. I'll eat any of them as long as they're cooked. ;)  You might like this Korean spicy Clam soup recipe if you can put Chiles and Clams together in your mind... I'll certainly be making it when my pods get a little bigger. :drooling:   http://www.saveur.com/spicy-clam-soup-recipe

stickman said:

Very cool! I love Lobster myself, but my wife won't eat most shellfish... the only kind she likes is Scallops. I'll eat any of them as long as they're cooked. ;)  You might like this Korean spicy Clam soup recipe if you can put Chiles and Clams together in your mind... I'll certainly be making it when my pods get a little bigger. :drooling:   http://www.saveur.com/spicy-clam-soup-recipe
That sounds great.^ I love how simple it is. Last summer I made a fresh grilled corn,crab and roasted poblano soup that was really good. and your wife has good taste I love scallops :)

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_6615.JPG

I just love the look of these.  You really made a great looking pepper.  These are the last of the first wave of pods.  I think they will be bigger as the summer progresses.
I have to agree with you^^  :D  But all kidding aside yeah man they look really cool, I couldn't be happier. They almost look fake or like a pepper candy. I am really looking forward to having a ton of ripe ones here.  

:cheers:

Devv said:
"Yall are making me jelly with all the East coast sea food talk. I grew up on it and miss it badly. Non of that down here :confused:

Love the calyx on those peppers, what kind?
You missed a really good lobster risotto with fresh peas from the garden tonight :)

The peppers Terry posted are my hot rod Serrano x chocolate bubblegum F1. I have one other pheno putting out really cool purple pods, not sure what color they will ripen to. F2 should be really fun, cheers.

FreeportBum said:
You missed a really good lobster risotto with fresh peas from the garden tonight :)
The peppers Terry posted are my hot rod Serrano x chocolate bubblegum F1. I have one other pheno putting out really cool purple pods, not sure what color they will ripen to. F2 should be really fun, cheers.
Are you getting pods like I have? Tomorrow I will be bagging some branches to try and get some pure seed for you.

tctenten said:
Are you getting pods like I have? Tomorrow I will be bagging some branches to try and get some pure seed for you.
Yes I have 6 plants. 4 with pods like yours only slightly larger and 2 putting out the purple pods. No need to iso unless you want to grow them out. I already have a few pods set that are iso here on both pheno. I've also crossed both pheno with each other both ways, and crossed both phenos with a huge calyx orange BBG7 :)

I absolutely love the look of the Hot Rod Serrano x CBBG7! They look fantastic! I've been wondering if it would be easy to cross species. I'm growing an Ethiopian Brown (Annuum) and I'd like to cross it with a Chinense. Do you have a pic of your huge calyxes on your orange BBG7? I'm also growing 2 orange BBG7 and one has gigantic calyxes on it, as well. Like bigger than a pea. I'm not sure if the petals will be able to come out. Great job on your crosses! I'm anxious to see more! :)

-Adam

Bhuter said:
I absolutely love the look of the Hot Rod Serrano x CBBG7! They look fantastic! I've been wondering if it would be easy to cross species. I'm growing an Ethiopian Brown (Annuum) and I'd like to cross it with a Chinense. Do you have a pic of your huge calyxes on your orange BBG7? I'm also growing 2 orange BBG7 and one has gigantic calyxes on it, as well. Like bigger than a pea. I'm not sure if the petals will be able to come out. Great job on your crosses! I'm anxious to see more! :)
-Adam
Thanks. A little patience and a steady hand and you should be successful in your crossing. I like to pollinate at least a few flowers on each plant for better chance of success. All my orange bbg have these nice calyx, I've been using them to cross with a bunch of stuff.
Cheers
image.jpeg

Thank you for the pic. Wow! Those are huge calyxes! That's pretty much what mine look like. I've noticed that the stems are extra-long, too. Great looking plant! I made my first cross last year and it took me umpteen tries to get it to take. So I know what you mean by patience and a steady hand. I hope it's ok if I post a pic of my orange BBG7 calyxes.

zJLhHW6.jpg

-Adam

Back