beer The FineExampl Homebrew Project

It's not a partisan issue ;).The fact that I have kids figures in, if not for the danger of huge glass shards, then just the sheer mess a broken carboy would make.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's not a partisan issue" CD. I'm still having problems wrapping my brain around certain aspects of plastic fermentors. The two issues I have are sanitation (if you scrub it you have potentially scratched it), and off-gassing of chemicals used in production of plastic. I know these plastics are said to be "inert", but I have a hard time believing that completely. That being said, YES, there ARE merits to both, but it doesn't necessarily (hands down) make one better than the other, and therefore not an issue. There ARE issues to consider. Your issue is apparently safety factor. Yes, plastic is safer than glass (in terms of breaking and cutting). I'd choose plastic too if my main concern was breaking the vessel. It may be a "non-partisan issue" to you, but we cannot say one is better than the other. Between glass and plastic, one only becomes better than the other when it better addresses the majority of our concerns.

SumOfMyBits said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "it's not a partisan issue" CD. I'm still having problems wrapping my brain around certain aspects of plastic fermentors. The two issues I have are sanitation (if you scrub it you have potentially scratched it), and off-gassing of chemicals used in production of plastic. I know these plastics are said to be "inert", but I have a hard time believing that completely. That being said, YES, there ARE merits to both, but it doesn't necessarily (hands down) make one better than the other, and therefore not an issue. There ARE issues to consider. Your issue is apparently safety factor. Yes, plastic is safer than glass (in terms of breaking and cutting). I'd choose plastic too if my main concern was breaking the vessel. It may be a "non-partisan issue" to you, but we cannot say one is better than the other. Between glass and plastic, one only becomes better than the other when it better addresses the majority of our concerns.

Take a breath! I meant it was not a partisan issue, because some people become so embroiled in an issue that it becomes less about the facts, and more about which side you are on.

NO RINSE SANITIZER. I DO NOT scrub anything.

About chemicals, yeast seems to me to be sensetive to anything the least bit off, producing off flavors.

I have none.

I am not saying glass is evil, it is just not for me anymore.

I just want others to know what I have learned.

That's cool CD. I, too, am trying to give the facts so the others can make their informed choice. I don't judge brewers on plastic or glass... they are both just as capable. Breathing. ;)

F&#&$ PLASTIC!!!

F* &$ ^ GLASS TOO!!

I'm brewing in WOOD from now on!
Its shatter proof, no harsh chemicals, light weight when dry, doesn't scratch easily, and I can smoke with it if the beer thing doesn't work out.

Hey Fine...hows the [latest batch] coming out?

Wood is cool...until you get an infection and it never comes out!!!!!!;)

Oak aged would be a nice option, but I would not want it for every batch.

I pulled out a Maerzen (oktoberfest) that I brewed in early january.

Through circumstance, it was in secondary in the better bottle for 4 1/2 months.

I had sworn to myself that if it was oxidized, I would own up on this thread.

It tastes so freaking good!;)

I will be hard pressed to make the rest of it last until september.(when oktoberfest is really supposed to be consumed, at least for us card carrying beer snobs!;))

I just wanted to comment on a few things from the last several posts:

Rinsing sanitizer will not scratch plastic. ;) Using a scotch brite pad will! Also, the various no-rinse sanitizers will not necessarily dissolve and remove all particulate matter. Some of that leftover crap from the kreusen can be pretty tenacious.

Since it's an oktoberfest marzen, am I correct in assuming that it was in secondary while lagering under refrigeration? I am not claiming that plastic is bad, but that might not be the best test for oxidation, since the temperature was pretty low.

Glass carboys can get micro-cracks in the surface from handling. It might not be super common, but it isn't impossible. So, glass is not impervious to surface imperfections, either. If you're using plastic, don't use anything more abrasive than a soft sponge, and don't store any of your brewing equipment inside it.

Some beer styles like IPA and stout were transported in wooden casks way back when, and they experienced some cool flavors from the brettanomyces that colonized the wood. If you want to get really creative, you can get barrels from various vendors. When you age your first beer, add some brett culture and you can do some awesome things with different styles of ale.

frydad4 said:
F&#&$ PLASTIC!!!

F* &$ ^ GLASS TOO!!

I'm brewing in WOOD from now on!
Its shatter proof, no harsh chemicals, light weight when dry, doesn't scratch easily, and I can smoke with it if the beer thing doesn't work out.

Hey Fine...hows the [latest batch] coming out?
The batch is coming along fine i expect. just chillin out in the secondary awaiting bottling day. I'm estimating around the 21st, give or take. I want to crack some open July 4th. It'll be immature, but surely drinkable. I'll have the two test bottles very ready by that time. One is in an old Indian "Thums Up" soda bottle just for a laugh. I should be picking up supplies tomorrow so i'll post back up with any booty i aquire.

For now i must sleep off the Eddie Vedder show we just got back from. I almost cut a guys throat for dumping a shit beer on my bride to be and myself. I was *this* close to being ejected before the first song.

Gnite!

frydad4 said:
hopefully soon you can be dumping a homebrew on your bride to be :)
I'd like to sometimes, but 99% of the time she's the best shit going.

Lookie what i picked up at the Englishtown Flea Market today...
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

I recognize the tank, regulator, and faucet here. What else are the rest of these parts? I only paid $35 for this stuff, so i think i got a decent deal.

How does this stuff set up and what will i need to replace as far as washers, bushings, etc. Should i have the tank examind and tested? How do i do that? I need the full lowdown here.

awesome find!!

as far as I can tell, it looks like the most important things you have there are the tank and the regulator. You may be able to get a tank that small filled at a paintball place. I have to go to a fire-extinguisher store to fill mine. They won't even fill the tank there if it hasn't been tested recently (which can be a bit expensive, i think they tried to charge me $45...i passed). There should be a date stamped on the canister near the top that indicates when it was tested last. Judging from the pic, could have been a while ago.

That little co2 tank is perfect for keeping in the fridge with your beer. I recently "downgraded" co2 tanks from a big one that didn't fit to a small one like that just for that reason.

Now all you need is a C-keg. They are surprisingly easy to find, especially if you frequent flea-markets. They are the old stainless steel soda syrup containers that restaurants used to use, and they are perfect for a 5 gallon batch. Most online homebrew suppliers sell used ones, but I wouldn't buy from there. You can find them around. Just have to keep your eyes out. If you see one in a restaurant or concession stand, ask the manager if they want to get rid of it. It is useless to them now.

You should order new o-rings for a keg, a new gas line for the keg, and a new liquid line (with tap). All homebrew supply shops have them. I use www.heartshomebrew.com but other places have them too, I'm sure.

You've already done the hard part! Congrats, soon you will be enjoying homebrew on tap. The best way to go, in my opinion. Even when kegging, you are still free to bottle a few for sharing. You are going to be so happy with your new set up!

I really liked the idea of kegging vs. bottling anyway. You can use less sugar and have fresh beer in 2-3 weeks instead of a month or more. And yeah, corny keg is probably what i'll aim for. this is a "down the road" project. i'm in no rush to do this until we move next year (april-ish) to a bigger place. Space is the problem. I still need to rearrange my closet.

I posted on HBT about this and apparently a bunch of this is outdated parts and best i can tell, the faucet, tank, and regulator are the imoportant stuff here unless i buy a retail filled keg and want to host a party or something (using the long rod thingy).

Making mead and braggot this week!

Cool stuff! The tank looks a bit old, but if the place won't fill it for you, you might be able to trade it in for some kind of credit. I have no idea how much it would cost to get it tested. The regulator should be fine. Schlitz... classic. The rest would be a guess for me, but I'd bet you're right... it is a commercial keg tap, etc.

A C-keg and a line-in/line-out specific to the type (ball or pin) keg you find and you're there!

mead and braggot, mmmmmmm.

SumOfMyBits said:
Cool stuff! The tank looks a bit old, but if the place won't fill it for you, you might be able to trade it in for some kind of credit. I have no idea how much it would cost to get it tested. The regulator should be fine. Schlitz... classic. The rest would be a guess for me, but I'd bet you're right... it is a commercial keg tap, etc.

A C-keg and a line-in/line-out specific to the type (ball or pin) keg you find and you're there!

mead and braggot, mmmmmmm.
Yeah, Schlitz and Schmidt. Only the best for my bar! I'm nervous about the tank, but i might know some people. If firemen test things like that i could have a relative who may help that cause in exchange for some goods. No problem there IMO.

So i have gypsum, acid blend, 5lbs of honey, yeast, and other assorted goodies. Also grabbed a couple cases of bomber bottles.

Just finished setting up an experiment. I scaled down the antipodal mead recipe in Papazian's book to a single gallon batch to be divided into 2 batches. I made one a straight recipe and the other a braggot. For the braggot i added a tablespoon or more (didn't measure) of light DME and about 1/4oz or more (didn't measure) of Simcoe hops as a dry hop. More for aroma and preservative than bitterness.

1-2 weeks in the primary and than swap out to secondary until it clears.

and BTW...I FREAKING LOVE the smell of hops! I took a nugget from the Simcoe and i'm rubbing it on my face. :D LOVE IT LOVE IT OMFG!!

fineexampl said:
Just finished setting up an experiment. I scaled down the antipodal mead recipe in Papazian's book to a single gallon batch to be divided into 2 batches. I made one a straight recipe and the other a braggot. For the braggot i added a tablespoon or more (didn't measure) of light DME and about 1/4oz or more (didn't measure) of Simcoe hops as a dry hop. More for aroma and preservative than bitterness.

Bravo! That sounds pretty frickin' cool!

Steve973 said:
Bravo! That sounds pretty frickin' cool!
i'm amazed how fast fermentation began. Before i pitched anything i aerated the hell out of it. This stuff was bubbling within the hour. If i had made a larger batch i'd have taken a reading of the gravity, but i don't really care how strong it is. As long as it gets me intoxicated, it's all good.

I was in Bethlehem, PA yesterday and visited Keystone Homebrew Supply in the basement shops underneath Bethlehem Brew Works. I was going to just check things out until i saw the prices and ABUNDANCE of stock they keep on hand. They are simply the best HBS i have been to ever. This would be my 4th shop visited and is #1, with my LHBS being #2 (and the best in NJ). What did i get? Well, i bought a 2nd 5gal glass carboy (Yes, glass! Deal with it! ;) ), 2 carboy handles (the metal bolt-on type with the rbber grips), 2 carboy caps with the 2 spouts for airlocks/blowoff/racking canes/etc., 2 racking canes with tips, and a carboy brush. Not a bad haul if i do say so. The carboy was a few dollars more than i would have paid locally, but the other stuff was cheaper to offset the cost. Not a bad compromise.

This will leave me needing one more item, and i know where i'm getting it and how much it costs. Englishtown Flea Market has a guy who sells ONLY pots. For $40 he carries a pot MUCH MUCH larger than 5gal. It's perfect for my needs (and may have fallen off a truck wink wink). That will conclude my beer "making" equipment. Next? Finding a future kegerator conversion. Screw it. My chick will still love me, right? We're moving next year to a bigger unit, right? The space for all this will eventually be here, right? I'll have this stuff to use forever, right? Shit yeah!

Back