food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

SumOfMyBits said:
Please tell me that's a crushed Busch Light can WAY in the background under your thumb... not just a circumstantial reflection.
Phone camera, what can ya do...it is part of the plate as I was drinking Nugget Nectar. ;)

Anyone else using this stuff? Hottest commercial cheese I have ever tasted and it is awesome!

1655931_10201289927634594_1530979485_n.jpg

This was on my tacos in previous picture along with cooked down onions and jalapenos and chicken with a shaved red onion and cabbage topping for crunch factor. 

JHP I don't reckon I've had the Cabot hab cheese but I've had some others but don't recall the makers.

All of them were decent cheeses but all were sorely lacking in the heat dept.

I may take a short road trip this week down to Central Market and Whole Foods in Plano.

That'd be my best bet to maybe find the Cabot brand and I'd love to try it.

The bad juju is I'm a freak for cheese anyways and when I find another one I really like I quickly become addicted.

If I had been born a mouse, I would have lived a very short life.

Went to the Cabot Creamery in VT and honed in on the Hab cheese in the free sample section amongst  others the Habanero came with us that day 

I concur on Cabot being of greatness... The extra-sharp white cheddar is my favorite. On one of those whole grain crackers from Crunchmasters, it seriously tastes like white cheddar smart food popcorn... No joke.

My dinner to day...

2013-09-17%252022.21.24.jpg

The sauce homemade,,,

2013-09-17%252022.31.57.jpg

What to do with this beauty??

2013-09-17%252022.18.11.jpg

2013-09-17%252022.18.47.jpg

The only way to extinguish the fireeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2013-09-17%252022.28.26.jpg

Oh hell yeah!

Argentine tacos!

Have mercy!

Cypress what's the sauce?

And what's the white sauce topped on there?

And what's that beer?

All y'all Argentine's got fans here!

TEXAS: tYhe sauce is a "taquera mexicana". The white is cream cheese sour. The beer... Yesterday we Bieckert Quilmes and both are national and classics around here (very good also), can not remember which was the cup.

ingredients: 

4 large, ripe tomatoes 
1 red bell pepper 
1/2 green bell pepper 
2 medium onions 
3 tablespoons sugar 
1 ½ cup vinegar 
2 teaspoons salt 
1 pinch of clove powder 
1 pinch of nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
Or fresh ground pepper, the amount you wish 
cilantro and oregano. 

procedure: 

Remove the skin and seeds from tomatoes, pícalos and place in a saucepan 
Add the finely chopped onions, chopped peppers, sugar, vinegar, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, chili, cilantro and salt. 
Boil everything smoothly, until a thick sauce. 
Then hand it to a gravy boat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or corn 
Serve with all kinds of meats, hot or cold. 

Much obliged for that Cypress.

The picture of the sauce inside the taco was awesome.

The pic of the beer just makes you want to take a bite of taco and wash it down with a big pull from the glass.

Repeat as necessary.

Ok this is going to sound like a joke, but it isn't. I have never made my own tortillas but I would like to give it a try. I have Masarica. Is this what I want to use? AND what else if anything besides water do I add to it? Also, I do not have a tortilla press. I was thinking I could press out little balls with some wax paper and the bottom of my cast iron.

JayT said:
Ok this is going to sound like a joke, but it isn't. I have never made my own tortillas but I would like to give it a try. I have Masarica. Is this what I want to use? AND what else if anything besides water do I add to it? Also, I do not have a tortilla press. I was thinking I could press out little balls with some wax paper and the bottom of my cast iron.

Masarica will do just fine.

And you don't have to follow the recipe exactly as posted on the bag.

Play with it.

Throw some t-scorp powder et.al. all up in they thang.

I also like to use a little olive oil in the dough too.

You could press them with cast iron as you mentioned but you might have to follow up with a rolling pin to get them as thin as you want. 

If you have problems with the dough sticking to the wax paper just use a little bit of cooking spray or swish a oil soaked paper towel on the paper.

Homemade torts are awesome!

Back