food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

grantmichaels said:
If you don't know about Big Data and trying to derive meaning from the fire-hose, then it seems like some 4chan shit ...

But, log on to Twitter and follow a #ferguson or #teapartyparty or something polarized for a while, and it quickly makes sense ... even brings a smile!

It's like the capitalization of a proper noun, but not ... common core, STEM ... out w/ the cursive, in with the tokens/decorators ...

I'm going to assume, having not grown any (but almost did), that they are much more turgid when they are freshly picked - versus grocery store ...

Are they a little more subtle, or have other notes when fresh, that have since escaped when bought (from time spent processing, shipping etc)? ...

I don't like when my teeth can't saw through the out layer, and the inside rings (although in your case, cylinders, lol) pop out ...
The green is very tender and you barley notice it. Not like the crappy store bought version. I grew them mainly for the Asian meals I tend to make.

I can imagine. Buttery soft, and actually break when you bite. Do you have to pick very new shoots?

It's like celery, in that when the turgidity is gone, it requires too much masticating ...

I see those long tubes and imagine myself having a hard time chewing up the outer-most sheath, but am able to be convinced that this wouldn't be the case picked fresh ...

That outer layer's lost too much water in the case of store-bought ...

When celery bends, game over.

It marinaded all night in anchiote paste, sour orange, lemon, pequins, garlic, cumin, mexi oregano, black pepper, white wine venegar and a cheater packet of al pastor seasoning i've never tried before. 

In the smoker for the day, banana leaves where $5 for a pack so I said F that mess. Foil will work. Smoking in dish uncovered for a bit for flavor and then covering. In 2-3 hours it's getting moved to oven to finish because the family gets pissy if they eat after 7pm.

You don't have a Like button?

If you're on mobile it is the check mark.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
You don't I let them grow. I might never buy them in the store again, you snip a few and they grow back like hair ;)

They don't like my climate or I'd have done this back when ...

They want it cool, I think ...

D3monic said:
after it falls apart in the oven with some pablanos , red jalapenos and habs i'm frying up some bacon and crisping it in the bacon grease like carnitas. Because BACON. 

Only crisp SOME pieces and mix it in. Not all, don't ruin all that work. You realize crisping in a pan is a cheat method. One of the steps to carnitas is the whole shoulder or large cuts of pork cooked in a vat of lard, in a copper vat. Not little pieces. It's fall apart good and the skin is crisped to a crispy brown. So don't crisp your nice tender pieces, that right there is your hard work!

D3monic said:
after it falls apart in the oven with some pablanos , red jalapenos and habs i'm frying up some bacon and crisping it in the bacon grease like carnitas. Because BACON. 
I am so porked out....might be the first time I can ever say that as a Joyner from Smithfield Va.....
grantmichaels said:

They don't like my climate or I'd have done this back when ...

They want it cool, I think ...
I grow mine indoors, kitchen window so it is climate controlled. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Only crisp SOME pieces and mix it in. Not all, don't ruin all that work. You realize crisping in a pan is a cheat method. One of the steps to carnitas is the whole shoulder or large cuts of pork cooked in a vat of lard, in a copper vat. Not little pieces. It's fall apart good and the skin is crisped to a crispy brown. So don't crisp your nice tender pieces, that right there is your hard work!

Normally I uncover at the end and kick oven to broil and turn every once in a while to get the crispies but just recently started using bacon grease. I vac seal into several meals and use the bacon love juice to reheat for dinner. There will be way more soft bits than crispy

grantmichaels said:
If you don't know about Big Data and trying to derive meaning from the fire-hose, then it seems like some 4chan shit ...

But, log on to Twitter and follow a #ferguson or #teapartyparty or something polarized for a while, and it quickly makes sense ... even brings a smile!

It's like the capitalization of a proper noun, but not ... common core, STEM ... out w/ the cursive, in with the tokens/decorators ...

I'm going to assume, having not grown any (but almost did), that they are much more turgid when they are freshly picked - versus grocery store ...

Are they a little more subtle, or have other notes when fresh, that have since escaped when bought (from time spent processing, shipping etc)? ...

I don't like when my teeth can't saw through the out layer, and the inside rings (although in your case, cylinders, lol) pop out ...

Confewshus cat says wtf you talking bout Willis?

WTF%20is%20this%20shit%20cat.jpg

Yeah it's all about the ratio! Was just hoping you didn't crisp all the shreds. I've seen people do that. Nooooooo. LOL.

HAHA SF glad you said it not me. WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he was saying joyner's should understand my hashbrowns joke because he is a hipster. :P

Back