The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Not at all swampy. 

I reckon my Butch T's, Morugas, 7 pots and half of my red bhuts are all the result of a greenhouse "throw your keys in the bowl" night. With some John Travolta Habanero like character strutting and casting his seed far and wide.
One of my Trademe "Morugas" with a Paper Lantern that I also suspect of being of poor or indeterminate genetic material.

2015-01-22%2022.46.29.jpg

Looks like a hab eh?

I reckon it would still hit 1 mil shu.

shrug.gif

Yeah,the consensus is its either a scotch bonnet or Habanero.It looks similar to some of deerdogs in the bowl
They were purchased off trademe as Yellow Trinidad moruga Scorpions.I sent a few off to Sentancedtoburn so he can have a taste test

lol, I have a TM "yellow morugu scorpian" here too, it has fruit on it now, but it's such a sickly runted little beast, I would have knocked it on the head in Nov if Mrs DD hadn't have jumped in front of me and protected it. The pods on it do look narly though, like my "yellow bhut'. I have 2 of them, one is extra stunted but has bhut looking fruit. The other is less stunted and has fruit that more resemble Trinidad scorps.

Next year.

Pure clean seed.

Still, looking like I'll have maybe 10kg of mutant pods, lol.

The rest look good.

deerdog said:
lol, I have a TM "yellow morugu scorpian" here too, it has fruit on it now, but it's such a sickly runted little beast, I would have knocked it on the head in Nov if Mrs DD hadn't have jumped in front of me and protected it. The pods on it do look narly though, like my "yellow bhut'. I have 2 of them, one is extra stunted but has bhut looking fruit. The other is less stunted and has fruit that more resemble Trinidad scorps.

Next year.

Pure clean seed.

Still, looking like I'll have maybe 10kg of mutant pods, lol.

The rest look good.
What are your yellow ones in the bowl that look like mine?

Swampy, rush35 and I are trying your "Swampy's gamble" peppers this Sunday hopefully, I have our new YouTube channel nearly ready so will post the video link as soon as. I'm secretly hoping it ends up being a habanero or something, trying to eat a moruga while retaining some sort of dignity will be difficult haha.

Robisburning said:

How has your season gone?  If things are going well you should do what is working for you.

I went all organic this year.  It has been my best season.  My 2 tips for going organic:
Rainwater makes a massive difference.  I guess if you are relying on microbes to make your soil fertile it is best to use chlorine free water.
The other thing is using dolomite lime to offset the acidity of organic matter breaking down.  I throw a big handful or 2 down for every wheelbarrow of compost I put out.  I am not sure if those things are really obvious but they seemed to take me a while to either understand or implement.

My experience so far is the insects will look after themselves.  I see a couple of Psyllids on each plant but they don't seem to be doing any damage as yet.

For all the pros and cons of going organic if I could guarantee a massive pepper bounty by using inorganic fertilizers I reckon I would.
I am all for organic and have only grown that way for the last few years but this year things changed! The fungus gnats came and caused havoc and i nailed them.The aphids came and caused havoc but i got rid of them...still not sure how much good the ladybirds and parasitic wasps i bought did though.
The the psyllids came....did not realise what they were at first due to them being pretty new little beasties to New Zealand. So they got away with the damage until i worked out what they were. Problem is that even after you sort them out many of your plants are yellow and useless. Then they come back to infect your new plants.....like a clingly girlfriend who won't leave you alone and when you finally get rid of her you realise she gave you a nasty disease.
So i underestimated how bad they were and paid the price...lesson learned. They are one bug that i will not just let nature take it's course to sort them out after seeing how that approach did not work this season.
Good luck to those who can dodge this bullet, but i am older and wiser now!
SentencedToBurn said:
Swampy, rush35 and I are trying your "Swampy's gamble" peppers this Sunday hopefully, I have our new YouTube channel nearly ready so will post the video link as soon as. I'm secretly hoping it ends up being a habanero or something, trying to eat a moruga while retaining some sort of dignity will be difficult haha.
I am a little concerned about this tasting...but to be fair...not nearly as concerned as i am with us tasting the new Yellow Brainstrain monster i am picking tomorrow for Sunday!

SentencedToBurn said:

I am ready to subscribe.  That is going to be epic, Will you be accepting hot peppers to review?

Rush35 said:
Only if you join us in the reviews!
speaking of reviews, did you try any of those brown bhutlah's?
im yet to pop the cork on the hot sauce. girlfriend commented on how nice it looked though :)

nzchili said:
speaking of reviews, did you try any of those brown bhutlah's?
im yet to pop the cork on the hot sauce. girlfriend commented on how nice it looked though :)
Brown is a bit misleading...they are more of a red, and yes i did try them with sentencedtoburn. Quite lively, but not as hot as many of the superhots i have experienced so far. I have got a Defcon 7 for you to try to compare....

Rush35 said:
Only if you join us in the reviews!
My tongue has been playing up recently from an old injury?

My order from Semillas arrived today.  Stoked. 4 new pube varieties as well and 5 types of jalapeno and 5 types of serrano and a few other annnuums.  Chinense are Red Bhutlah, super hot beast, Black naga, naga viper

Robisburning said:
My tongue has been playing up recently from an old injury?

My order from Semillas arrived today.  Stoked. 4 new pube varieties as well and 5 types of jalapeno and 5 types of serrano and a few other annnuums.  Chinense are Red Bhutlah, super hot beast, Black naga, naga viper
Old war wound hey? Well we are going into battle this side with some new pods....time will tell if we survive this skirmish!
Lucky to get the parcel through these days....i have grown the Red Bhutlah,Black Naga and Naga Vipers. I think i have them again this year. The Black Naga mother plant was a 6ft beast. Every year since, those have been the seeds to sprout the fastest...ask sentencedtoburn how fast the ones i gave him grew!
Swampy_NZ said:
Another harvest from the Naga.202 pods so that makes 352 from the 65L one.Still haven't picked any from the beast in the 160L   :)

You going to turn any of those pods into sauces?

Black naga and sunrise scorpion have been my achillies heel. Not tasted a pod in 2 years of trying to grow them as seed quality was poor.  Managed to get one black naga to germ out of 10 but it didn't grow true.  Word to the wise - don't order seeds from Finland. 

With the seeds that are popping quickly, were they seeds you have saved?  My saved seeds generally seem to germ ridiculously quickly.

Best of luck with the big push on Sunday.  If the offer is still open I would love to join you guys for a taste session once I have a few ripe pods to bring along.

Robisburning said:
Deerdog, if you want to try a fresh moruga I will sort you out once they ripen. I can even bag the flower so you get nice seed out of it. 
I'd take you up on that mate.

By the way, I have a chilli or two that I'd be happy to see reviewed!

th_Devilicon.png

Swampy_NZ said:
Probably all of it.They all get bagged and then put in the freezer   :)
Exactly what i do...they end up as sauces and powders.
deerdog said:
I'd take you up on that mate.

By the way, I have a chilli or two that I'd be happy to see reviewed!

th_Devilicon.png
I am sure Rob would love to review them for you and record it for all to see! You could even upload it the sentencedtoburn's Youtube channel for everyones entertainment!!
Robisburning said:
Black naga and sunrise scorpion have been my achillies heel. Not tasted a pod in 2 years of trying to grow them as seed quality was poor.  Managed to get one black naga to germ out of 10 but it didn't grow true.  Word to the wise - don't order seeds from Finland. 

With the seeds that are popping quickly, were they seeds you have saved?  My saved seeds generally seem to germ ridiculously quickly.

Best of luck with the big push on Sunday.  If the offer is still open I would love to join you guys for a taste session once I have a few ripe pods to bring along.
I bought a Black Naga plant a couple of years ago which grew into a beast. All seeds from it have grown insanely fast over the last couple of years. My two Sunrise Scorpions have pods at the moment if you want seeds. I had about 4 plants and then they psyllids came calling....

I may look at selling some pods on trademe.What do you guys think is a good price per kg,100g etc
looking at selling dorset nagas,choc bhuts and Reapers.

Back